Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arkansas
THOR #6272
Towing with an Axis 25.1

I currently use a tow dolly with my Prius 4 and it works well but I am considering the options of changing to a 14 ft. alum. car hauler so that I have the ability to take my 4 seat UTV or the Prius.

I am looking to see if anyone else has an experience with this...I can't decide to go strictly with the 14' car hauler or keep the tow dolly and just get a 12' utility trailer for the UTV?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I tow my 3400 lb drag car on a 21' twin axle trailer with zero issues. Total is around 5500. Can run 75 MPH all day. My Vegas is a 24.1. Wife towed it to track last trip and is quite happy with its performance.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

State: Arkansas
THOR #6272
trailering

Thanks for your response. What brand and type of trailer do you use? Is it a tip up or ramps? Also, do you use sway bars?

I am looking at a Featherlite 14 ft. double axle with ramps...
Old 01-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #4

THOR #5313
Mine is an old steel frame, wood deck with ramps. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_142927.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	3735  
Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #5

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
I tow a 4500 lb jeep wrangler our Vegas does a great job until you get to the mountains, I didn't know if we would make it to the top while going to red river nm, the next time we'll unhook the jeep and drive separately up the mountain. at time would only go 20mph at times with a lot of engine noise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	3738  
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson0231
I tow a 4500 lb jeep wrangler our Vegas does a great job until you get to the mountains, I didn't know if we would make it to the top while going to red river nm, the next time we'll unhook the jeep and drive separately up the mountain. at time would only go 20mph at times with a lot of engine noise.
That hasn't been my experience with any V-10 powered vehicle. When pulling our old 5th wheel I'd find myself passing people going up mountains. (The Truck + 5er scaled out at 15,000+ lbs.)

Even with the Axis pulling one of our cars I haven't had any issues keeping pace with traffic.

Granted the only mountains we've crossed with our campers are the Smokies and not the huge ones out west.

There is a really nasty climb going South on I-75 at the OH/KY border that none of our V-10s have had a problem with.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #7

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
We haven't had any problems towing the jeep except the one time going to Red River New Mexico normal hills and mountains we don't even really notice it back there. I really thought either the engine or the transmission was going to give up it was a horrible noise. Red River is 10 thousand feet a lot curves going up 15 mph speed limits while up the mountain, I guess trying to gain speed was the problem.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That hasn't been my experience with any V-10 powered vehicle. When pulling our old 5th wheel I'd find myself passing people going up mountains. (The Truck + 5er scaled out at 15,000+ lbs.)

Even with the Axis pulling one of our cars I haven't had any issues keeping pace with traffic.

Granted the only mountains we've crossed with our campers are the Smokies and not the huge ones out west.

There is a really nasty climb going South on I-75 at the OH/KY border that none of our V-10s have had a problem with.
From your description I would guess that you are referring to the hill on the south (Kentucky) side of the Brent Spence bridge on I-75/I-71. That bridge is obsolete, worn out, and very dangerous....many locals just refuse to use it. Last year it was named the top "infrastructure emergency" in the US. I use the nearby I-471 bridge across the Ohio River whenever I cross. Does that cause me extra miles? Yes, it does, but I don't worry about having a wreck or falling into the river.

Brent Spence Bridge named top ‘infrastructure emergency’ in United States
Old 01-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut
From your description I would guess that you are referring to the hill on the south (Kentucky) side of the Brent Spence bridge on I-75/I-71. That bridge is obsolete, worn out, and very dangerous....many locals just refuse to use it. Last year it was named the top "infrastructure emergency" in the US. I use the nearby I-471 bridge across the Ohio River whenever I cross. Does that cause me extra miles? Yes, it does, but I don't worry about having a wreck or falling into the river.
Wow! Yup that is the one--driven over it many times in many different vehicles.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson0231 View Post
We haven't had any problems towing the jeep except the one time going to Red River New Mexico normal hills and mountains we don't even really notice it back there. I really thought either the engine or the transmission was going to give up it was a horrible noise. Red River is 10 thousand feet a lot curves going up 15 mph speed limits while up the mountain, I guess trying to gain speed was the problem.
Yeah, at that elevation your 305 HP is much closer to 200 HP.

It really comes down to weight and grade versus available power. One of the hardest climbs I've done was with 14,500-pound Class C going East out of Death Valley. Elevation is not the issue being near (or below) sea level, but grades are very steep and long enough that momentum can't help at all. High temperatures also make engine and transmission get a little on warm side.

Long Interstate climbs at 4 to 7 percent are one thing, but when the road turns up to 16 percent like we have in Texas Hill Country, you just hope to have the right gearing to hold a steady speed even though they are less than a mile long.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow! Yup that is the one--driven over it many times in many different vehicles.
When traveling North-to-South on I-75, you might want to consider going over to I-71 on the north side of Cincinnati using I-275, following I-71 thru town to I-471, across the river, and into Kentucky. In Kentucky, I-471 again connects to I-75 via I-275. A few miles longer, but this avoids the very heavy traffic on I-75 as well as keeping you off the Brent Spence bridge. I-471 is much more modern facility with much less traffic.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 PM   #12

THOR #1812
I have been impressed with the towing ability of my 2015 Vegas. Probably heaviest is a car trailer with car- probably close to 5000 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	3745  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 AM   #13

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Wow! 53 Ford - the 50th anniversary edition or is that a 52? Sweet!. My father had a 51 - first car I remember as a kid and my uncle had a 53. Our next car after the 51 was a 55 2 door, Crown Victoria - black and white. I always wanted one when I grew up. Had to settle for a 64 1/2 mustang that I had until 1974 and left in Japan. Wish I still had it.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:19 AM   #14

THOR #1812
Actually - a 49 Ford -at least the skin..... somewhat modified underneath .....

My first car was a 53 Ford convertible - was looking for another when I found this 49 in a barn in Minnesota. So I settled too, but happy I did....
Old 01-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #15

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Yes.. I see the snout and the lower grill now. She is beautiful. I loved the old Fords and Chevys up to 57 before the double headlights and all the fins.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I have Harleyed all over the country and no matter what your driving sooner or later a hill grade, weight and wind are going to hit you with a full house and you will crawl along. Until that day, have a beer a smile and tell your wife you love her��
Old 05-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #17

Model: Axis
State: California
THOR #7294
car hauler

Hello guys
good information on the towing. We just bought our 2015 25.1 Axis and took it to the parents house over the weekend. Love the drive.
We are wanting to tow our 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad cab with Curb weight 4500. I wish I could flat tow but it would cost more than cost of the truck with all modification. Has anyone haul a pickup truck on a 16" car hauler.
any feed back would be very helpful.
Thanks M&J
Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Making Journeys
Hello guys
good information on the towing. We just bought our 2015 25.1 Axis and took it to the parents house over the weekend. Love the drive.
We are wanting to tow our 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad cab with Curb weight 4500. I wish I could flat tow but it would cost more than cost of the truck with all modification. Has anyone haul a pickup truck on a 16" car hauler.
any feed back would be very helpful.
Thanks M&J
You may be very close to, if not over, the weight you can tow with the pickup + trailer.

First thing you should do is take the Axis to a scale and weigh it (fully loaded for travel). Subtract that from the GCWR and see if there is enough left over for the 4500 + trailer (probably at least another 1000 lbs).
Old 05-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #19

Model: Axis
State: California
THOR #7294
Thanks Jamie
I think your right, found out trailer was 1700 lbs. will have to look for a truck that can be tow without the modification
Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #20

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
4 down

Find a truck you can tow 4 down and save the weight and hassle of a trailer??