Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5338
Towing with EZ Pass

We're going to start towing a Jeep Cherokee behind our Hurricane 29M this spring. Both vehicles have mounted EZ Pass. Has anyone had any problems getting through toll lanes or going through express toll lanes?

Old 12-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You need to go thru slowly to make sure it picks up the pass on your Jeep. Being towed and being so close can be confusing to the system. When I pulled a toad I always went very slow and fortunately it always worked.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Be sure your toad (and RV) are registered to your EZPass account - even if they have to use the camera to charge you - there is no fine if properly registered.
My RV alone wouldn't scan in NY - worked in other states - they said not to worry - they would find me... lol - and no fine, just the toll.
So far my toad towing has been toll-free.

Now for the tolls near NYC that still have gates in the EZPass lane.... hmmmm..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
My suggestion is to always pay as you go through. I have a sensor on my RV and my Jeep Wrangler. No matter what I do, because of the axels, I always get charged more if I use the EZPASS. If I go through and let them know I am towing, it's $12 (pay by hand) versus $18 when I drive through with both EZ passes.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:24 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Speaking of EZ PASS...

We have a 2016 25.2 VEGAS, where exactly do you put the EZ PASS on the windshield to have it pickup properly?
Old 12-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Speaking of EZ PASS...

We have a 2016 25.2 VEGAS, where exactly do you put the EZ PASS on the windshield to have it pickup properly?
My Florida SunPass works if you put it just below the black dots on the windshield.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Speaking of EZ PASS...

I have mine just below the windshield tint on my Hurricane... Worked fine in Ohio and Illinois - but not in NY...
Going to try the lower part of the windshield next time I drive through NY - but that won't be till the snow melts!

Sunpass is a different - and incompatible - system... Have that for the toad too - haven't had the need to take the RV thru a FL toll yet.

FL, TX, and OK are the ones I know of that don't 'play nice' with the 'EZ Pass compatible' states. I thought there was a law that they were all supposed to interoperate - but that may not be until sometime in 2017/2018.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We also tow with an EZ-PASS for both vehicles, but usually only keep the EZ-PASS on the windshield of the RV. We get charged for 4 axles and that seems cheaper than both vehicles being charged separately. We normally keep the Jeep's EZ-PASS in the center console unless needed on a separate trip away from camp.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
Put the towed vehicles EZPASS in the foil sleeve they gave you when you first received your pass device. This then allows the EZPASS on the RV only to be read. At least in the Philadelphia/NJ bridges, you still get charged by the axle, but won't get that plus the towed vehicle.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5338
In NY, you can request a pass for an RV that bolts on with the front license plate. We got that for our first RV, a C class, because I thought the overhang might block a windshield pass. We'll keep it for the A class.
Some people are concerned that they can be stolen, but I'm not very worried about that- I'd see it on my walk-around and cancel it if necessary.