Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
Solar ready

Our new 2019 rw28 comes solar ready, does this mean there is a inverter built into the coach somewhere? If so wheres a good place to start looking?

Jeff

Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps they hid it in a closet??
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
If your coach is a 2019, it is advertised to include the wiring from the roof to the also included solar controller (10amp).
So all you need to do is add a 100 watt solar panel on the roof and attach to the connectors

Have you located the solar controller yet?
Old 04-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no, an inverter has nothing to do with 'solar prep' or 'solar ready', only that the factory has provided pre-wiring, typically from the roof down to the battery bank, or thru a plug on the side of the RV... simply a way to buy a solar panel and easily attach it for a little battery charging power when the sun is out.

Solar doesn't provide any 'direct' power to your RV, only 12v battery charging, which helps to keep your battery charged while you use your 12v lights, fans, appliances, and 12v outlets for phone charging, etc.

An inverter would be an additional device that takes battery power and changes it from 12v to 120v to power an outlet, or outlets, including TVs, and sometimes even a residential fridge or the microwave, but not air conditioning, or any other large draw devices.

You can search amz or other sites and easily find inexpensive solar panel options... some are packages including solar controller and additional wiring, connectors, and even roof mounts... although you can certainly and easily just put your solar panel out on the ground, tilting it toward the southern sun path, for greatest output.

I would start with a simple 100w panel, like the 12v type from HQST, which is large enough to give you some 'umph' to your battery(s), while the sun is out, but small enough that you can store it more easily. If your RV doesn't already have the solar controller included in your 'solar ready' design, which it probably doesn't, the HQST panel can be combined with a solar controller as a package. Just attach the panel to the controller, and the controller wires to the battery + and - terminals. Done.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

THOR #4735
but, I'll also add that just because many new RVs are 'pre-wired' or 'solar ready' doesn't mean you actually have any need for Solar.

Most solar needs are for those off-grid, with few other power options other than their generator.

For the vast majority of RV owners who typically go from campground to campground with electricity at each, solar is really an expense that will never really provide any appreciable difference, and only cost you money and time. It might 'feel' good to have solar, but the reality is that it is actually not very cost effective for almost anyone, unless you are un-plugged for much of the time.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #6

THOR #13362
2019’s are advertised & labeled as “solar-ready”
Solar-ready includes...
- pre-wired with connectors on the roof
- a 10amp solar controller

If you did not get this included on your coach, go back to the Dealer

As stated above...”solar-ready” is unrelated to inverter
Old 04-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #7

THOR #15031
Thank to all for the comments, it does come with the controller and the hook ups on the roof. I believe there are two ports on the roof. Does this mean I can connect 2 panels or do the single panels require two hook ups?

Jeff
Old 04-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #8

THOR #15031
Thanks to all for the comments. It does come with a controller and hookups on the roof. Don't know if it 1 or 2 hookups on the roof or not. Is one panel enough to rechange a set of batteries in a day?
We do plan on dry camping in the future but have to get our road legs first.

Jeff
Old 04-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #9

THOR #4735
each panel has both a + and - connection wire - which is what you may be referring to... if you want multiple panels, then a 'y' connection is required in order to combine each + and - panel wire into a 'parallel' connection to the controller - which multiplies the 12v output by the number of panels and amps, giving you a single 100w 5amp panel, or two for a 200w 10amp output, etc.

start with just a single 100w panel, then add more if you have a need in the future. Simple.

(also, the included 10a controller will not be large enough to allow more than two panels anyway, maybe even only one, unless you spend more money on a larger controller)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #10

THOR #4735
there's no way for any of 'us' to tell you whether solar, or how much, will 'charge' your batteries - there are too many things at play.

- how 'many' batteries are you talking about?
- what 'size' amp hours are they?
- how 'much' electricity will you use each day?
- will the sun be 'out' every day?

a simple 100w panel with normal 'daily' sun, depending on 'where' in the country you happen to be, may very well give you a good charge, if you have a single 12v battery, or it may not if you have 4 - 6v batteries...
Most folks find that they are going to use their generator at least part of everyday anyway, for air conditioning, cooking, water heating, battery charging, etc,... so it's hard to 'compute' whether the solar panel will do what you wish... maybe so, maybe not.

start with a simple single panel and see... and more when you know for sure, but buying more solar than your batteries can 'hold' when the sun is out is simply overkill, and you've investing in power, but with no place to 'store' it - maybe more batteries would be a better idea than solar.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #11

THOR #13362
10amp controller = One 100watt panel
Old 04-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #12

THOR #15031
Thank you sir!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:45 AM   #13

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
I have owned 9 RV's, of which 4 have been motor homes. I have added the solar panel to my most recent unit.
I keep my unit stored between trip approximately 6mos. of the year.
I find having the panel has been a great addition. I have never gone to my coach and not had power to do whatever I want. I am very happy that I added the panel.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:47 AM   #14

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunnin View Post
I have owned 9 RV's, of which 4 have been motor homes. I have added the solar panel to my most recent unit.
I keep my unit stored between trip approximately 6mos. of the year.
I find having the panel has been a great addition. I have never gone to my coach and not had power to do whatever I want. I am very happy that I added the panel.
Great testimonial!
Old 04-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #14807
If you read the fine print on that 10 amp solar charger, you may discover that the manufacturer recommends up to a 160 watt solar panel be connected.
I have a 160 watt flex panel connected and it's charging the batteries well.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #16

THOR #15031
Thank you everyone for your comments.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2019, 02:15 AM   #17

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
I reread my post. I stated I had not had the power I needed.
That was a misstatement. I have not had a situation that I did not have the power I needed. We have been able to turn the frg. on, run all the electrical needed to get our rig ready. It is a very worth while investment. I would not want to be without our soar panels.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:33 AM   #18

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #13363
Inverter

Call up Thor and they will send you the electrical schematics and tell you if your RV is equipped with an inverter.
I am a new RV owner and I just purchased the 2019 Thor Axis 25.6. That one does not have the inverter. It's solar ready, but the controller is 10A, so it will only support 100W panel.
I just purchased AIMS Power PWRIX120012S 1200 Watt Pure Sine Inverter on Amazon. Hope to install it in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:17 AM   #19

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomaszL View Post
Call up Thor and they will send you the electrical schematics and tell you if your RV is equipped with an inverter.
I am a new RV owner and I just purchased the 2019 Thor Axis 25.6. That one does not have the inverter. It's solar ready, but the controller is 10A, so it will only support 100W panel.
I just purchased AIMS Power PWRIX120012S 1200 Watt Pure Sine Inverter on Amazon. Hope to install it in the next couple of weeks.
You’ll love the AIMs inverter if you follow the install instructions on the “Finding Our Happy” Utube website. That install allows total integration into your electrical system.

Also, if a 100 watt panel isn’t enough for your “solar ready” system, Amazon has inexpensive PWM 30amp controllers starting at just $15

After much analysis...my solar system will probably end up being:
- two Windy Nation 100amp flex mono panels
- fastened with white Eternabond tape
- an inexpensive Windy Nation 30amp PWM controller
With connectors and wire my budget will not exceed $350
It’ll be fine for my needs charging 2 deep cycle flooded batteries
Old 04-28-2019, 10:39 PM   #20

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #13363
Solar Panels and Inverter

I did buy a new control panel with the solar panels - Renogy 2 x 160W + the 30amp controller.
I am hesitant to install them, due to the warranty issues I have been having. The RV has been at the Camping Word twice already and still not fixed. Looks like I have a floor damage due to a leak, which will have to be fixed by Thor under the warranty.