Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
shower dribbles

We finally got out for our shake out trip.
No problems so far.
But, when using the shower we found that there is no pressure. It's more like a dribble than a shower.
We're going to get an Oxygenic shower head. For those that have one, did it improve shower pressure compared to the original shower head?

Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Pull the hose and blow it out, might just be trash in it or in the filter screen
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
did you push the shuttoff button on the shower head? Maybe it was only "on" partially.

I installed the oxygenics, and I think it's a huge improvement.
It's not the pressure it increases, but that's just science....
The water shoots out at a higher velocity so it feels better. It's a bit misty and hard, so it's not the head I would choose for home, but it's pretty good.
I get a better shower and with fewer GPM. (than the stock Thor head)

Also of interest, the shutoff button on the oxygenics doesn't shut it off completely. At first this was a concern, but I find that it does as advertised... the trickle of water actually help to keep the temperature setting better...
with the old head, the water would run cold for several seconds after using the shutoff button so the restart would just waste water while I waiting for it to warm back up....
With the oxygenics and the shutoff set to it's dribble setting, I turn on full hot momentarily while I get in. Then full cold. It doesn't take long for it to warm up, then I fine tune with the cold. So I'm saving water through the process of turning on too.

I'm glad I bought it.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #4

THOR #1448
Thanks for the replies.
We'll check the hose when we get home.

Yes, we did use the on/off button, fully engaged, but still a dribble.
Glad to hear that the oxygenic helped. I'm not too worried about saving water, we take very short showers.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:48 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've found that if I use an external regulator on the hose I get a dribble in the shower. If I remove the regulator I get almost a full shower. Almost as if the Axis/Vegas has a built in one--haven't checked that (the Thor plumbing diagrams I have don't show a regulator, they do spec that the water lines should be able to handle 80 PSI @ 72F though).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 AM   #6

THOR #908
good point about those regulators on the hose.... especially the cheap ones can be a restriction especially if the source is already low...

One more thought. if you're using the onboard pump.... I have found taht if I have air in the lines, I get a lot of water hammer noise, pulsating flow, and reduced flow rate..... some times it take a while for the air to work itself out.

Regardless, that oxygenics is a good buy.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

THOR #1448
JamieGeek
That's very interesting. We're going to try the shower without the regulator.

Does anyone use an adjustable regulator? Which one?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest View Post
JamieGeek
That's very interesting. We're going to try the shower without the regulator.

Does anyone use an adjustable regulator? Which one?
On my prior coach I found the same issue with the use of a pressure regulator. I have also found that most shower heads have a factory installed pressure regulator (flow restrictor) intended for water conservation. In some cases these regulators can be removed in others they cannot.

FWIW, when I first noticed the issue a few years ago I purchased a water pressure gage from Lowes and how I do a pressure reading whenever I connect to a water source. If the pressure coming out of the campgrounds system is less than 50 PSI I do not use my pressure regulator. The gage was a 10 dollar investment that has served me well and since I started using it I would say I have reduced the use of the regulator by about 60 - 70 percent.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

THOR #1448
We had a flow restrictor on our shower head. We had to use a drill to get it out.
Removing it helped a little, but we're still getting the Oxygenic.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
I carried an Oxygenics shower head across the country in overhead luggage!

We took delivery of our shiny new Hurricane 34E in Melbourne, FL. at 8 a.m. in the morning after taking a redeye flight the night before from California with my kids.

Our plan was to pick it up, drive it over to Fort Wilderness, and go to Disneyworld all day! It all worked out great! We were tired as all heck at 1:00 a.m. and I am soooooooo glad that I brought the shower head with me. The original shower head is nothing more than a wide angle kitchen vegetable sprayer.

I took a hot shower as long as the 6 gallon hot water supply lasted!!

I removed the little water-saver plastic washer and have great water pressure, and "apparent" oxygenated volume!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2861
While hooked up to external water, if the pressure is too low, I simply turn on the water pump. The water pump alone also gives me more water pressure than most campgrounds.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #12

THOR #908
I've done that once or twice myself..... also when the water was very stinky.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I like the Oxygenics (sp?) but DW did not like it. So, it was left in our 5er when we traded it in on the MH. Dave, As far as using a gauge to check the pressure and then leaving the regulator off, do you check it during the day or at night. I have found that the water pressure in a campground can very quite a bit depending on the time of day. If you check in the morning or evening it will be lower because of people taking showers. If you check in the middle of the night it will be much higher since most people are sleeping. I have seen changes as much as 20 - 25 psi. I have not checked often but did check at one campground because the water pressure seemed so low. Plus someone told me about the high pressure at night so i actually got up at midnight and checked.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #14

THOR #908
pstandiford, I saw a while back that oxygenics has a new type of head out now. A second model. It's been a while since I saw the add for it, but I think it was a larger diameter, so perhaps.... just maybe, it has a more favorable spray pattern.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:25 AM   #15

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower holder.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	790

This is what I did to fix the low pressure problem on my Hurricane.

I purchased a shower holder and installed it at the base of the shower dome so now the water simply falls from the shower head right on top of you in the middle of the shower. The pressure is the same but it flows better - more downhill and you get a far better rinse!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
... Dave, As far as using a gauge to check the pressure and then leaving the regulator off, do you check it during the day or at night. I have found that the water pressure in a campground can very quite a bit depending on the time of day. If you check in the morning or evening it will be lower because of people taking showers. If you check in the middle of the night it will be much higher since most people are sleeping. I have seen changes as much as 20 - 25 psi. I have not checked often but did check at one campground because the water pressure seemed so low. Plus someone told me about the high pressure at night so i actually got up at midnight and checked.
Since I normally try getting to a campground relatively early I usually check the pressure when I arrive and then I will check it again if things seem to be changing, for instance higher pressure coming through the lines later in the evening or a prolonged reduction in pressure.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote