Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
RV Insurance

Can anybody tell me who is the best company for RV insurance? We had Progressive with a previous RV but when we bought the new Freedom Elite two years ago we went with Good Sam (underwritten by National General). Due to mail theft, I called to change our address to a post office box and was sent a $55 bill for changing the address. I have made four phone calls to customer service, three reps told me it was an error and would be reversed. Yesterday I called because the "payment" is due in a few days and it was still showing on my online account. The rep I spoke with yesterday told me I needed to pay it! All for changing the MAILING address, not the garaging address.

Any recommendations for insurance is welcome. Any feedback about your experiences with Good Sam/National General is also welcome.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Not sure about best but I just bought a new motorhome and got insurance through FMCA (Safeco Insurance). I also got a quote from Good Sam's (National General) and they were about $100 more per year but the Safeco had a $500 deductible and National had a $1000. Ended up going with Safeco.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as an agent, with my own agency for many years, there is no ONE single company that's best at everything, and sometimes ANYTHING, for everyone.

your rate with any company you quote with will depend on so many factors that you cannot chat with your neighbor, even if they have the identical model and year RV that you do, and find that you'll get the same rate - another company will certainly be better, it's just the nature of the business.

many years ago, when I was involved in the electrical billing department at my small home town(we had our own electric power system for the city), folks would call or stop by and 'complain' that their neighbors bill was 'so much less' than their own - yet when we drove by the complaintant's home, the front door was wide open(in the summer!) and you could hear the air conditioner running hard to keep up!

ok, you can ask everyone who the 'best' company is, but it's all 'hear say', as a judge would say!

Your own efforts to check with as many companies as possible will render the best for you, and you alone.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

THOR #3559
Insurance

Thank you for your response. The truth is we are an insurance company dream. We pay on time and have never made a claim on any of our policies. I am getting quotes from two other companies and will call one last time to Good Sam before pulling the plug.

This was just one more thing adding to the frustration of the mail theft that has cost me countless hours and a few dollars as well. I just don't understand why they are charging me $55 for a mailing address change and they have not offered a reasonable explanation - just that they charge for address changes.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
A lot depends on where you live, some companies are cheaper in certain states. We carried State Farm in Indiana, switched to Geico in Texas.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

THOR #3559
Insurance

Yes I am sure you are correct about the state you live in. We live in California and everything is expensive here!
Old 06-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #7

State: Arkansas
THOR #6519
I use safeco for my fifth wheel. Not because I sought them out, they have my car and home insurance as well. We pay $600 a year for a full coverage with a fixed value of 60k.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Have had no complaints with Auto Club.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
We picked up our Challenger yesterday. We shopped around for insurance all week. Our home and vehicles are through Liberty Mutual, but they will only insure an RV up to $90k. Not good enough for the new RV. Called AAA whose rates were too high, but the rep checked Progressive for us and that was the ticket. As someone already said, that doesn't mean they'll be best for you, but it worked out for us.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Mike, good point. When we were full time Progressive was one of the few that had a good full timers policy. When our status changed we found they were not competitive so we bounced around for a year or so. Currently GS (National) is the cheapest for us and our needs. Next year we may do some comparisons and change again.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #11

THOR #3559
RV Insurance

We switched to Progressive - was slightly higher premium but it also has higher coverage.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:47 AM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
As others have said - it depends...
Had National General for 2 years with this RV... They rewarded my 2 years of on time payments, no change of address (at that point), and no claims or tickets with a 20% increase in the next renewal...
Now with SafeCo for the RV.

Both were direct with the company - not through Good Sams or FMCA.

While there can be benefit to one provider for all insurance needs - haven't been able to do that since getting the RV...
State Farm was my home/auto/liability provider in Michigan, but was absolutely not competitive with RV terms and rates (they admitted wasn't their specialty)..

Moving to Florida (never seen a state with such convoluted insurance - I thought Michigan was bad...) - I now have 5 different insurance companies... will need to consolidate that somehow - but its ugly.
USAA has my cars from when I moved here initially - but wasn't competitive on the RV (they use Progressive for RV policies) - so that remained with SafeCo. When we bought the house USAA wouldn't write a policy in this zip code... Citizens covers the house - but doesn't offer liability limits that meet the umbrella requirements... Gap insurance for that through another company (only one company seems to offer this)... And the umbrella had to go thru yet another company since others wouldn't cover the spread out policies.

Now trying out (unfortunately) USAA's claim handling for a comprehensive claim... We'll see how that goes...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
When I purchased my ACE 27.1 at CW they put me in touch with Good Sam. They gave me an initial quote that sounded OK. The on twist to my favor was you could put your coverage on pause in the off season. Well on the day we were to pick up the ACE I got a call and Good Sam was going to double my premium because I had A speeding violation. I called my Farmer's agent and got a policy for nearly half of the original quote from Good Sam. It too had lots of good features although it didn't have the off season feature. So I told Good Sam thanks but no thanks.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:29 AM   #14

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
as an agent, with my own agency for many years, there is no ONE single company that's best at everything, and sometimes ANYTHING, for everyone.

your rate with any company you quote with will depend on so many factors that you cannot chat with your neighbor, even if they have the identical model and year RV that you do, and find that you'll get the same rate - another company will certainly be better, it's just the nature of the business.

many years ago, when I was involved in the electrical billing department at my small home town(we had our own electric power system for the city), folks would call or stop by and 'complain' that their neighbors bill was 'so much less' than their own - yet when we drove by the complaintant's home, the front door was wide open(in the summer!) and you could hear the air conditioner running hard to keep up!

ok, you can ask everyone who the 'best' company is, but it's all 'hear say', as a judge would say!

Your own efforts to check with as many companies as possible will render the best for you, and you alone.

You most likely won't find out how your company is till you file a claim
Old 06-23-2017, 04:40 AM   #15

State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Geico.....fantastic.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
Geico.....fantastic.
I have my car insurance with Geico and Geico gave me the cheapest quote for insurance for our new motorhome. However, Geico will not give you full replacement value. I ended up paying more for Safeco but they give you full replacement value for the 1st 5 years on your RV and then will give you the full price that you paid for your rv the next 5 years.