Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 03:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #1037
Use/Disconnect Button

We have a 2015 Thor Axis and we are apparently doing something incorrectly as far as batteries. The batteries do not seem to hold their charge for more than 24 hours. We even drained the charge on the chassis battery after only two nights of camping while attached to shore power. Would someone please explain the correct time to use the use/disconnect button that is found near the front door near the sink.
Two other questions- what is the purpose of the red button found under the step near the batteries. I noticed a yellow breaker sticking out next to it.
Also, what is the fan noise that intermittently runs under the fridge. It seems to be coming from the fuse box.

Thank you!

Old 08-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
The fan that you are hearing running is normal. it is keeping the inverter, or the convertor kool.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Kathy,
While I don't own your model, our 2013 Four Winds 31F MH has a set of switches in the closet near the entry door. The first switch is the connect switch which connects the deep cycle 12 volt battery to the MH electronics. In our case this switch is automatically activated when we connect to shore power at a campsite and I believe your switch should also come on automatically when you connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy P View Post
We have a 2015 Thor Axis and we are apparently doing something incorrectly as far as batteries. The batteries do not seem to hold their charge for more than 24 hours. We even drained the charge on the chassis battery after only two nights of camping while attached to shore power. Would someone please explain the correct time to use the use/disconnect button that is found near the front door near the sink.
Two other questions- what is the purpose of the red button found under the step near the batteries. I noticed a yellow breaker sticking out next to it.
Also, what is the fan noise that intermittently runs under the fridge. It seems to be coming from the fuse box.

Thank you!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Kathy,
I'm adding on to what I said before. When we are running down the road, we engage the switch so that we can use the 12 volt system and, in particular, the back up camera, which I like to have on as I drive on Interstate highways. The motor's generator (really alternator) charges the MH deep cycle 12 volt battery so nothing runs down.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
One of your questions was how to use the "use/disconnect " button

In my unit, it's labeled "Use/Store". Basically it's a switch that closes or opens a relay, which is basically a heavier duty switch. The relay switches off feed from the battery, and should be in the Store or Disconnect position if you are storing the coach without being plugged in. If the coach is plugged in with the "shore power", leave it in the use position and the converter will maintain the charge of the battery.

My guess is that this is a new coach, and your battery is bad. If it's a new coach you just took ownership, take it in asap for a warranty check.
These batteries do not like to be discharged below around 50% charge level (or more, depending on your source of info.). Also, a lead acid battery will self discharge over time, even if there is not a load on it. It doesn't take too many times of cylcing below 50% to kill the battery. I have killed too many batteries in my boat and in my old popup camper letting it sit just a little too long.....
Anyway, imagine these things sitting on the dealer lot. Could be shown to one customer..... somebody leaves the bathroom light on, and nobody remebers to hit the disconnect switch as they jump back onto the golf cart heading to the next unit. The next morning, the battery is toast.
Then you go to buy the coach a week later.... they plug in the coach for your PDI, and therefore charge the battery up.... now there's enough surface charge on the battery for your walk around and testing, but it won't take long for you to find out taht the battery just doesn't hold a charge for very long at all...... It could happen. It did for me.

Now the other possibility is that you have unrealistic expectations of how much energy is stored in a battery. You say it wont hold a charge more than 24 hours. Is that 24 hours with every light on, and running the furnace fan motor, and running the water pump frequently? Well even a bank of true deep cycle golf cart batteries won't last long under heavy use......
Old 10-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

State: Virginia
THOR #1245
Possible Cause of Battery Drain

My experience with 2014 Thor Axis batteries may be relevant. A few months after taking delivery of Axis, both Harris 12v batteries were dead and would not hold charge despite occasional charging while Axis was stored - batteries were replaced by me with 2 Interstate 12v batteries.

I have concluded that there is a substantial power drain from the Jensen radio/camera unit, even with the radio off. Once my batteries were replaced, within a day or so, the new batteries were down to 3/4 charge with no other current draws (except LPG detector). However, once the radio fuze was removed, te batteries have held charge just fine. If I am 'dry camping', I plan to disconnect the radio from power to maximize battery power.

My understanding is that the only time you want to put the Use/Store switch to the Store position is during RV storage. This switch disconnects ALL power to the RV, and will also prevent RV batteries from charging via shore (external AC) power. My practice is to occasionally recharge the RV batteries during storage (turning Store switch to Use, and hooking up shore power for a day or so, then returning Store switch to Store).
Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Most coaches have some sort of battery disconnect that will remove the coach batteries from the circuit.

In storage, you typically disconnect the batteries so they are not drained by the various small circuits that are on all the time... stereo keep alive, antenna power, etc.

When in operation, the battery should auto-connect to the house (at least mine works this way) when you plug into shorepower so the charger in the converter/distribution panel can charge the house battery.

This is how it should work in general... your situation may be different depending on how it was built, features you have, and so on.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakglen26 View Post
My experience with 2014 Thor Axis batteries may be relevant. A few months after taking delivery of Axis, both Harris 12v batteries were dead and would not hold charge despite occasional charging while Axis was stored - batteries were replaced by me with 2 Interstate 12v batteries.

I have concluded that there is a substantial power drain from the Jensen radio/camera unit, even with the radio off. Once my batteries were replaced, within a day or so, the new batteries were down to 3/4 charge with no other current draws (except LPG detector). However, once the radio fuze was removed, te batteries have held charge just fine. If I am 'dry camping', I plan to disconnect the radio from power to maximize battery power.

My understanding is that the only time you want to put the Use/Store switch to the Store position is during RV storage. This switch disconnects ALL power to the RV, and will also prevent RV batteries from charging via shore (external AC) power. My practice is to occasionally recharge the RV batteries during storage (turning Store switch to Use, and hooking up shore power for a day or so, then returning Store switch to Store).
Unfortunately in the Vegas (and the last RV I owned) the "store" button does not disconnect everything. In the Vegas, the radio is still drawing power from the battery and there seems to be at least one other drain. The only way to store your Vegas and not have the batteries go dead is to install a battery disconnect switch, physically disconnect the batteries or pull a fuze. You could also install a switch in the B7 line of your radio which will at least stop that drain.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have a 27k Hurricane and the use/store switch. I have concluded the electric draw is going wear down a battery in 24 hrs with little use of the lights and heater. The switch does not shut everything off, but does most. One of the draws is it powers up the invertor which you do not need when dry camping. I also have set my radio so the clock does not show but am thinking an on/off switch for it is even better idea. I bought another coach battery so I have 2, and still will be down to 50% power after a day. To solve this I bought a 100w 5.5 amp solar panel and charger controler from Home Depot Grape Solar 100-Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel for RV's, Boats and 12-Volt Systems-GS-Star-100W - The Home Depot and 20' of heavy wire using home style plugs for each end. I just plug it in when I set up and lay it in the sun, it keeps up with the demand pretty good. when I am stores it is in the back window. When stores I do put switch to store. My panel is wired direct to the batteries so bypass the switch. These units are self contained but in reality only for a day or so..
Old 05-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #10

THOR #1775
I had a similar issue with my 2015 Ace. I installed a Priority Start battery shut off system, that I bought from Amazon. Seems to work so far. Nothing worse than a dead battery and the dealers telling you that something's drawing power but they don't know where its drawing it from.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:08 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
I own a vegas, the switch near the battery box is a circuit breaker for the house batteries. I tripped mine while replacing the batteries and until someone on this forum pointed out the breaker I was tearing my hair out.

If the switch is easily reachable on your unit, maybe you can use it to disconnect the batteries when not in use. Mine was installed upside down and is very difficult to reset.

I also had to replace the house batteries after about 6 months.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
My battery use/disconnect switch is used for ensuring no spark or flame happen during gas station stops. I basically see it as a safety device that shuts down the 12V feed to propane igniters.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #6576
I have a 2014 Vegas and have replaced the house batteries...where exactly is the breaker you mentioned? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisingerd View Post
I have a 2014 Vegas and have replaced the house batteries...where exactly is the breaker you mentioned? Thanks!
On my 2014 Vegas, chassis battery circuit breaker was on the left hand side of the battery box under the stairs. It had a red button and red "flag" (lever that extends when the breaker is open - sometimes they are yellow). If you can see the "flag" the breaker is open. Pushing the button will also open the breaker and display the "flag". Push the "flag" back up into the breaker to engage the unit.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #6466
Question for you guys who have had battery draw issues related to the radio - do you have the Jensen radio or the Axxera?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdrabik View Post
Question for you guys who have had battery draw issues related to the radio - do you have the Jensen radio or the Axxera?
On my coach with an Axxera614, the chassis battery supplies current to keep the presets in the radio even though the radio is off. Tripping the chassis circuit breaker (in the engine compartment next to the battery) kills all the power to the front cap and that includes the radio. The Ford part of the coach still works with the circuit breaker tripped, just nothing that is fused through the cap fuse panel does. That fuse panel is down by the drivers left foot.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Even with the switch in the store position there is parasitic drain on the batteries. If you're plugged in leave the switch in use position and all your batteries will stay charged.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #6466
My Vegas is parked about a half hour away from me, so I don't anticipate being out there more than once a week (if that). Should I physically disconnect the house batteries to avoid discharging them?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes, and the chassis battery if possible. I put physical disconnects on both and leave them all off when its stored.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You can buy battery disconnects at most auto stores, put one each house and one on the coach battery, should take care of the problem!

Tags
battery