Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
V10 now standard on Ford Cutaway

V10 and 6-speed now standard on Cutaway and E-450 stripped chassis. I can only find 5.4L V8 and 5-speed remaining on E-350 stripped chassis. It seems Ford is finally dropping the 5.4L V8 as previously suggested by Thor and others. The 5-speed transmission which now comes with V8 appears to me to be on way out also.

Now that they are making the 6.8L V10 the "standard", I wonder if there is much possibility that a smaller engine will become standard in the near future -- like maybe a detuned heavy-duty version of the more powerful 5.0L V8 from F-150, as an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1160  

Old 12-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #2

State: Virginia
THOR #2987
I would think if Ford went away from the V10, the logical replacement would be the V8 6.2L which is available in the F250/F350 trucks and was and still may be available in the F150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
V10 and 6-speed now standard on Cutaway and E-450 stripped chassis. I can only find 5.4L V8 and 5-speed remaining on E-350 stripped chassis. It seems Ford is finally dropping the 5.4L V8 as previously suggested by Thor and others. The 5-speed transmission which now comes with V8 appears to me to be on way out also.

Now that they are making the 6.8L V10 the "standard", I wonder if there is much possibility that a smaller engine will become standard in the near future -- like maybe a detuned heavy-duty version of the more powerful 5.0L V8 from F-150, as an example.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Four Winds 22e
State: Illinois
THOR #1715
V10 now standard on Ford Cutaway

The Ford 3 valve 362hp-457lb/ft 6.8L should be the standard issue.
The 310/425 2v version just doesn't have enough guts, even on a smaller/lighter 21-26' E-350 chassis.
^speaking from experience^

Old 12-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I would think if Ford went away from the V10, the logical replacement would be the V8 6.2L which is available in the F250/F350 trucks and was and still may be available in the F150.
I agree that the 6.2L V8 may be a logical replacement for the V10, which is now used only in commercial trucks and RVs as far as I know. By the way, I'm fairly sure the 6.2L is no longer offered in F-150, having been replaced by the EcoBoost V6 as top engine.

I read recently that Ford will be upgrading the 6.2L V8 for the new 2017 Super Duty pickups, so it's likely they will be around for a while still. The 6.2L V8 already makes more power than the larger and older 6.8L V10, so any improvement taking it over 400 HP should be welcome by many truck owners.

Whether Ford keeps the V10 or replaces it in the future with the 6.2L V8 for RVs, it still leaves a void to add a smaller "base" engine under that that would take the place of the outgoing older 5.4L V8; one better suited for smaller RVs that don't need so much power.

The 5.0L V8 should have plenty of power for small Class Cs and As (Axis/Vegas), and would increase cargo carrying capacity due to lower weight. It may also improve fuel economy slightly.

My V10s have been loud and not particularly smooth at higher RPMs, so I would welcome a switch back to V8s.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRacing24 View Post
The Ford 3 valve 362hp-457lb/ft 6.8L should be the standard issue.
The 310/425 2v version just doesn't have enough guts, even on a smaller/lighter 21-26' E-350 chassis.
^speaking from experience^

I'm curious, what is your Gross Combined Weight that you find the 2-valve V10 inadequate for?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
They should put more time in developing their transmissions - six and eight speeds would improve fuel economy so much!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
They should put more time in developing their transmissions - six and eight speeds would improve fuel economy so much!
Six is the new standard on all 2016 chassis, with the old 5-speed remaining for the time being only with the outgoing 5.4L V8.

Ford has a new 10-speed automatic coming out in the next year or two, but it's not heavy enough for trucks or motorhomes for now as far as I know.

More gears can make an automatic more efficient (approaching a CVT at extreme), but drivers hate a lot of transmission gear shifts (hunting). For that reason I personally expect turbo gasoline engines and electric assist will be used in place of more and more transmission gears.

Ford just announced $4.5 billion investment towards electrification of many more models. In time that technology may work its way down to motorhomes.