Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
aa9zz's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
Posts: 317
THOR #1075
Valve Extentions for the Axis/Vegas

Has anyone replaced the valve extensions for the Axis/Vegas? If so, what did your order?

Phil
__________________

__________________
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 823
THOR #1123
Phil,
I replaced the valve extenders on my inner tires a few months ago because I couldn't get air to go in them nor get a pressure reading. I got the hub mounted stainless steel extenders from CW similar to the ones here but when I got them there were only 2 in the pack so I'm not sure these are the exact ones I got. I had a local shop install them when I had the alignment done. Haven't had any problems with them since installation and easy to adjust and check air pressure. Thor compensated me for the replacement after I sent them the defective ones.
__________________

__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:07 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 823
THOR #1123
Uh oh!! Forgot to post link. Here it is:

RV Supplies, RV Accessories & RV Parts for Motorhomes, Travel Trailers - Camping World › ... › Wheel Accessories
__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,365
THOR #1469
My coach is not an Axis but when I bought it I had the dealer install extenders as a condition of sale.

The ones installed are I believe Dicor stainless steel braided extenders.

One point to note is that if you have a TPMS installed or are planning to install one the extenders should be supported so the weight of the TPMS cap/valve does not cause the extender to loosen due to tire rotation.

Here is a pic of the system installed on my coach. Although I have polished aluminum wheels Dicor also makes a set that secures to wheel liners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire valve 2.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	624

The bracket that secures the extender is secured to the hub cover.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 823
THOR #1123
Looks as if the link I posted earlier didn't show the valve extenders. I tried posting it via my I-Pad and didn't go thru as I hoped so I'll try again with my computer:

Dual Tire Inflators - Hub Mount Stainless Steel - 4 Hose Kit for 16"-19.5" Wheels - Wheel Masters 8001 AM4 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

I also have the EZ Tire TPMS installed on all tires which allows air to flow thru with no problems. The hub mount gives good support as Dave mentioned for the sensors.
__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,365
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Looks as if the link I posted earlier didn't show the valve extenders. I tried posting it via my I-Pad and didn't go thru as I hoped so I'll try again with my computer:

Dual Tire Inflators - Hub Mount Stainless Steel - 4 Hose Kit for 16"-19.5" Wheels - Wheel Masters 8001 AM4 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

I also have the EZ Tire TPMS installed on all tires which allows air to flow thru with no problems. The hub mount gives good support as Dave mentioned for the sensors.
The components on your link look the same as the components on mine.

I like the way they say easy installation and no special tools required however they display about a half dozen pop rivets.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 823
THOR #1123
Very true, Dave. I remember the mechanic saying he had a bit of a problem getting the rivets into the hub straight away with the hub design, but don't remember exactly what the issue was. It came out fine though.
__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 894
THOR #1249
While on the topic of valve extenders; here is a precautionary tip told to me by a guy who lost a rear hub cap or simulator etc. which had valve extenders. This happened while driving on the Tapanzee bridge at night in a heavy rain. The hub cap ripped the valve extenders from the tire which resulted in two flat tires and a ton of trouble and expense. I now fasten mine with SS safety wire looped thru the rim in two places each. This is only a problem on the 16" wheels I think, since a neighbor of mine has the larger size wheels and says his bolt to the rim.
__________________
MR 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 in Ocala
mcr1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,365
THOR #1469
Good Point.

I have seen some extension kits where the valve clips onto the steel wheel instead of the wheel simulator. There are also some where the extender is supported by a clamp positioned in the wheel's hand hole.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 126
THOR #1466
I had the valve extenders replaced and Thor reimbursed me for the expense. They were defective, as many are. I had the front-end aligned, and Thor reimbursed me for that expense as well. The Vegas handled poorly and squirrely until I had this done. Use the rigid, bronze or stainless steel extenders. The braided Stainless hoses seem to have issues. You must break down the tire to have the rigid extenders installed. Its an expense, but worth every penny. Also, get a TPMS. Knowing you tire pressure and temp of every tire at a glance of the screen is reassuring. Cheap insurance.
__________________
davidgebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
aa9zz's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
Posts: 317
THOR #1075
What TPMS is available at an affordable price?
__________________
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 823
THOR #1123
I use the EZ tire TPMS. Pretty easy to set up and doesn't have to be removed to check or adjust air pressure. This is the one I have:

TPMS SYSTEM (8 FLOW THROUGH SENSOR)
__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,878
THOR #908
Diff coach but same wheels I think

I removed the factory extenders due to leaks on the inner wheels
The outers are still in place

I tried to install a Crossfire equalizing system on mine, but couldn't figure an EASY bit good way to install it with my simulators
So I just installed a TPMS, but had to cut and bend the simulators to even get that to work.

I just ordered some rigid extenders for the inners from ebay, but haven't tried them yet. i hope to find some grommet supports for them, and hopefully they'll help with easier access to the TPMS transmitters
__________________
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
Posts: 226
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Phil,
I replaced the valve extenders on my inner tires a few months ago because I couldn't get air to go in them nor get a pressure reading. I got the hub mounted stainless steel extenders from CW similar to the ones here but when I got them there were only 2 in the pack so I'm not sure these are the exact ones I got. I had a local shop install them when I had the alignment done. Haven't had any problems with them since installation and easy to adjust and check air pressure. Thor compensated me for the replacement after I sent them the defective ones.
Larry, just curious now that you've had the 24.1 for a while. Any second thoughts about the Axis and anything you would have done differently when ordering? I'm moving toward ordering and just wanted your opinion.
__________________
Teeitup26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
Posts: 226
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
I had the valve extenders replaced and Thor reimbursed me for the expense. They were defective, as many are. I had the front-end aligned, and Thor reimbursed me for that expense as well. The Vegas handled poorly and squirrely until I had this done. Use the rigid, bronze or stainless steel extenders. The braided Stainless hoses seem to have issues. You must break down the tire to have the rigid extenders installed. Its an expense, but worth every penny. Also, get a TPMS. Knowing you tire pressure and temp of every tire at a glance of the screen is reassuring. Cheap insurance.
I noticed you have a 24.1 and wanted to ask you the same as i did Larry. Anything you would do differently when getting an Axis? Different model? Different options? Would you do it again? probably close to ordering the 24.1. just curious of your opinion now of the unit. thanks. Dave
__________________

__________________
Teeitup26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×