Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Something to keep in mind is that we as individuals are not Thor's customers and thereby have very little impact on their design decisions. Thor's customers are their dealer network that buys the units from Thor and then resells them to us, the consumers of the product.

Unfortunately it is the dealers who will impact design decisions by discussing with Thor those things (floor plans) that sell and those that don't.

A little known fact about Thor is their dealers must purchase the units with financing from an independent financial institution. The dealer then sells the RV to the consumer. Basically you are the customer of the dealer and not the customer of Thor.

As a note, Thor's greatest risk to revenue is the loss of Freedom Roads LLC as a dealer. For those that may not know, Freedom Roads LLC is the parent to Camping World and they represent 17 percent of Thor's sales (2015 share holder report to the SEC).

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Dave,

Any hints on why CW dropped Thor? It would actually be kind of amusing if CW had an issue with Thor quality... kind of a pot and kettle thing.

Randy
Old 12-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #23
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Dave,

Any hints on why CW dropped Thor? It would actually be kind of amusing if CW had an issue with Thor quality... kind of a pot and kettle thing.

Randy
I don't believe Camping World dropped Thor. The largest customer for Thor is the parent company (Freedom Roads) of Camping World.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
In doing market research, I expect companies like Thor are interested in what the ultimate customer/user wants, not the middle man. If we don't like the products Thor builds, they will sit at Camping World lots until heavily discounted, at which time Camping World won't order any more of that model.

I don't see it all that different that selling Coca-Cola. Coke may sell directly to Kroger, Albertson's, or Publics, but what Coke wants to have is a product we want enough to buy at these stores. In doing market research they test product preferences on us, the consumer who consumes the drink, not the store that acts as a middle man.

I don't doubt that Camping Worlds of the world give Thor feedback on what customers want, but I expect Thor does independent market research as well.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #25

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
WHATTTT?????

CW AND THOR ARE GETTING A DIVORCE??? Does that mean me and my Vegas are orphans????

I need a hug.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think you've misinterpreted Dave's statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
As a note, Thor's greatest risk to revenue is the loss of Freedom Roads LLC as a dealer. For those that may not know, Freedom Roads LLC is the parent to Camping World and they represent 17 percent of Thor's sales (2015 share holder report to the SEC).
He didn't say they lost CW he said their greatest risk was losing CW.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
WHATTTT?????

CW AND THOR ARE GETTING A DIVORCE??? Does that mean me and my Vegas are orphans????

I need a hug.

Doc
No hugs today. Read the entire post. Freedom Roads is the parent company of Camping World and Freedom Roads is Thor's biggest customer with 17 percent of Thor's revenue coming from Freedom Roads.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Quote:
WHATTTT?????

I need a hug.

Doc
doc you are very funny

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #1469
Here is the quote from Thor's 2015 annual report: The entire report can be viewed here:

Thor Industries - Financial Information - Annual Report

"The loss of our largest dealer could have a significant effect on our business.
FreedomRoads, LLC accounted for 17% of our consolidated net sales for fiscal 2015. The loss of this dealer could have a significant adverse effect
on our business. In addition, deterioration in the liquidity or credit worthiness of FreedomRoads, LLC could negatively impact our sales and accounts receivable and could trigger repurchase obligations under our repurchase agreements."

In the FWIW category here is another quote from the same report

"Our products and services may experience quality problems from time to time that can result in decreased sales and gross margin and
could harm our reputation.
Our products contain thousands of parts, many of which are supplied by a network of approved vendors. As with all of our competitors, defects may occur in our products, including those purchased from our vendors. We cannot assure you that we will detect all such defects prior to distribution of our products. In addition, although we endeavor to compel our suppliers to maintain appropriate levels of insurance coverage, we cannot assure you that if a defect in a vendor supplied part were to occur that the vendor would have the ability to financially rectify the defect. Failure to detect defects in our products, including vendor supplied parts, could result in lost revenue, increased warranty and related costs and could harm our reputation."

FMCA - F432054
Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #30

THOR #2142
All,

Thanks for the correction.

I went back and read the entire report, under ITEM 1A, Risk Factors it says: "IF any of the following risks actually occur, our business, financial condition or results of operations could be harmed." Then goes on to list possible problems, which included "The Loss of our largest dealer...". A worst case scenario, just a possibility!

I'm still in my rookie season as an RV owner (not all smooth sailing either)...just a little over concerned about my investment .

Doc

Old 12-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #31
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Beside Thor bailed them out with a large loan when the economy took a powder
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:17 AM   #32

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
OK kids, this is standard language for an annual report from a publicly held (stockholder owned) company. The relationship between Thor and CW is mutually beneficial.

I second Chance's comments about the consumer (us) being the driving force behind the products offered by the manufacturer. You can bet that Thor monitors dealer feedback, and this and other forums, but it is sales and profits that ultimately drive corporate decisions.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:52 AM   #33

THOR #2142
Mr. S,

Let me play the devil's advocate here.

If it is Sales and Profits that ultimately drive corporate decisions why do they not join the various Forums out here and ASK what current owners would like? For cost efficiency why not give us owners a Thor erector set with established (existing) componet sizes and see what we can come up with?

I believe it is because you left out one little three letter word that dictates so very much of Corporate workings at all levels - but more so at the big table...EGO. The further up the Corporate Food Chain some go the harder many Executives find it to ask for help.

Sad, too bad and often too true.

Doc

Old 12-03-2015, 03:08 AM   #34

THOR #1589
No disagreement there, Doc! Way back when, there was a book about the Peter Principle. The jist of it was that executives tend to rise to their level of incompetence. Then they stay there, because no one wants to admit a mistake. Still happens decades later. Innovations always are risky. Ultimately, it's always about the profit, the driving force of capitalism!
Old 12-03-2015, 03:54 AM   #35
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I second Chance's comments about the consumer (us) being the driving force behind the products offered by the manufacturer. You can bet that Thor monitors dealer feedback, and this and other forums, but it is sales and profits that ultimately drive corporate decisions.
Here is a sad fact of life as far as Thor is concerned.

On the Forest River forum a user by the name of BClemens has over 4,100 posts. BClemons is a Forest River Engineer who answered many of my questions when I owned my SunSeeker. BClemens is still active on the FR forum but now works within the Dynamax Division of Forest River.

Try to find one single reply on this forum from anyone (Janitor through Corporate Exec) on this forum that represents a response from Thor to the multitude of issues or concerns we face.

Thor's monitoring of this forum is as worthless as the warranty supplied with the Harris batteries they install in the motorhomes.

How about it Thor, care to comment?
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #36
Site Team

THOR #121
Thor does not run this forum, Weather they take a peak at it from time to time is speculation
The wonder Schnauzers
Old 12-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #37

THOR #2142
Flenn,

I do not run Weather Channel, but I do look at it for advice daily...Thor could do worse than reviewing the contents of this (and other) Forums that deal with their products, the end users, our concerns/problems with their products and then even go so far as to ask for Owners input.

Doc

Old 12-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #38
Site Team

THOR #121
I agree with you they should be looking at all related sites as all manufactures should. At one time they did make an effort to check on thing here, but I do not think that they do it on a regular time frame
The wonder Schnauzers
Old 12-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #39

THOR #1589
My source: A Thor regional sales rep told me earlier this year that this forum was monitored by the company. Let's move on.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #40

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Mr. S,

Let me play the devil's advocate here.

If it is Sales and Profits that ultimately drive corporate decisions why do they not join the various Forums out here and ASK what current owners would like? For cost efficiency why not give us owners a Thor erector set with established (existing) componet sizes and see what we can come up with?

I believe it is because you left out one little three letter word that dictates so very much of Corporate workings at all levels - but more so at the big table...EGO. The further up the Corporate Food Chain some go the harder many Executives find it to ask for help.

Sad, too bad and often too true.

Doc
I think that officially asking what we want in an open forum has too much risk for most companies -- there is more down side than up. Like attorneys supposedly say, you don't want to ask a question in court that you don't already know the answer to. Surprises they are not ready to deal with can be a bad thing for companies.

As an example, Thor should already know customers hate their batteries, but if they are limited by contract or other factors we don't know, it would make them seem uncaring if they continued to use them even after we told them they suck.

When I communicated directly with Thor product guys over a year ago, they made it clear that they could not accept any ideas for new products or product improvements. Their position was that it was policy because if I drew up a floorplan and they built it, I could then ask for financial compensation. And from their standpoint, there was nothing to say that floorplan wasn't already on the drawing boards.

What you suggest regarding design is done by Sportsmobile, but that's custom build. The owner designs their own floorplan, chooses whether they want a generator or not, propane or all electric, etc... It's a great system but a little expensive. The only other option I'm aware of for people who are particular is to build the van themselves -- provided they have the skills, tools, space, time, etc....