Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Mr. S,

Will do and glad to see some rep's use the site.

Chance, I understand what you are saying. But having to rely on the Corporate Think Tank for ideas approved by Corporate Lawyers may loose some good ideas in the process. Too bad a good idea cannot just be a good idea regardless of where it comes from.

So...the wife and I are planning on removing the couch and adding two recliners or the Thomas Payne modular theatre seating as shown on page 2B of the November15 Camping World flyer. It has two seats and a center console.

It would be nice if this were an option in a new Vegas.

Anyone done this specific modification yet? I saw an older posting of two electric recliners being put in.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #42
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I think that officially asking what we want in an open forum has too much risk for most companies -- there is more down side than up. Like attorneys supposedly say, you don't want to ask a question in court that you don't already know the answer to. Surprises they are not ready to deal with can be a bad thing for companies.

As an example, Thor should already know customers hate their batteries, but if they are limited by contract or other factors we don't know, it would make them seem uncaring if they continued to use them even after we told them they suck.

When I communicated directly with Thor product guys over a year ago, they made it clear that they could not accept any ideas for new products or product improvements. Their position was that it was policy because if I drew up a floorplan and they built it, I could then ask for financial compensation. And from their standpoint, there was nothing to say that floorplan wasn't already on the drawing boards.

What you suggest regarding design is done by Sportsmobile, but that's custom build. The owner designs their own floorplan, chooses whether they want a generator or not, propane or all electric, etc... It's a great system but a little expensive. The only other option I'm aware of for people who are particular is to build the van themselves -- provided they have the skills, tools, space, time, etc....
Chance,

Well stated

One point, Thor does not enter into long term contracts with vendors so that is not the reason for continuing to use of Harris batteries.

Our relationship with our chassis suppliers is similar to our other RV vendor relationships in that no long-term contractual commitments are entered
into by either party.

End Quote

Since Thor produces to "dealer order" the way to impact a change is through the dealers and their feedback to Thor. The production to dealer order also explains why floor plans get discontinued. If the dealers are not ordering them in volume Thor will discontinue the model.

Also, Thor recognizes that retirees make up a large part of their consumers, however, they also realize that the millennial generation are now the largest untapped population looking for outdoor living and recreation. I believe it is the younger generation that will be driving the design changes for RVs going forward.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I previously owned a Heartland Bighorn 5th wheel and was a member of the Heartland owners forum (run by Heartland). Heartland is now owned by Thor Industries and they quite actively solicit input from the consumers. I went to a national rally (sponsored by Heartland) a few years ago and they actually had their interior designers there with samples of almost everything asking for input on what they liked and didn't like. I think TMC could take a lesson from Heartland.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #44
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I previously owned a Heartland Bighorn 5th wheel and was a member of the Heartland owners forum (run by Heartland). Heartland is now owned by Thor Industries and they quite actively solicit input from the consumers. I went to a national rally (sponsored by Heartland) a few years ago and they actually had their interior designers there with samples of almost everything asking for input on what they liked and didn't like. I think TMC could take a lesson from Heartland.
Earlier this year someone tried getting a Thor Motor Coach Owners Club together with an initial formation rally in Tampa Florida (I believe). In fact the link is still active on the Thor Owners. At the time there was a lack of interest and if I recall correctly folks complained about a 25.00 annual membership fee and having to join "another organization".

I know the diesel owners have an active chapter in FMCA and they do get Thor to come out to their rallies to include bringing technicians and parts to perform minor repairs during the rallies. Thor even pays the first year's dues when someone purchases a qualifying diesel motorhome.

From the Thor owners page:

"Thor Motor Coach invites you to become a member of the Thor Diesel Club. If you have purchased a new, qualifying Class A diesel motorhome after January 1, 2012, we'll cover your dues for the first year. If not, you may still join by clicking here."

Dreams are a good thing. Every now and again one may come true. Besides, dreaming is an indication one is getting adequate sleep.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #45

THOR #2020
The Thor Motor Coach Owners Club is still "active". They are currently asking for ideas on where a rally could be held in 2016. Amazed at how many suggested Class A only RV parks. The one in 2015 was cancelled. Doesn't seem to be a great deal of activity.
TMCOC
Old 12-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #46

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Hey, how about us Class A Gas motorhomes? We owners seem to stir quite a bit up here in cyberspace!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #47
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Hey, how about us Class A Gas motorhomes? We owners seem to stir quite a bit up here in cyberspace!

Doc
Doc,

IMHO you hit the nail on the head and that is the segregation or grouping of owners by type of RV. Here there is the Diesel Club and someone wanting to get a motor coach club together. When I had my Forest River there was, and still is, only one owners group, the Forest River Owners Group (FROG). Membership n FROG is free and open to all owners of Forest River products.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #48

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I chatted briefly with the gentleman who set up the Thor Owners' Club. I'm one of the curmudgeons who couldn't understand what value buying into the club would provide over the wonderful support I already get here and (to a lesser degree) on IRV2.

I never did figure out what I'd get out of it, other than being able to say "I belong...". I guess I'm just not a joiner, and not a member.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-04-2015, 02:30 AM   #49

THOR #2020
I'm interested because we like to go to RV rallies and that is one of the things that the group was supposed to have.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #50
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I'm interested because we like to go to RV rallies and that is one of the things that the group was supposed to have.
Have you checked into FMCA? I rally with 2 FMCA Chapters.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #51

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Have you checked into FMCA? I rally with 2 FMCA Chapters.
I have not but certainly will check into it. Can't travel great distances until retirement in a couple of years but would sure go if there were something close. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #52

State: Texas
THOR #2121
New 25.4 largest Axis/Vegas

The new 25.4's specs were added to Axis and Vegas sites, and it's interesting that the newest 25.4 is shown as 27 feet long. That makes it 1'-6" longer than the original 24.1 floorplan.

Also of interest is that both have the same 188-inch wheelbase, so the rear overhang has been stretched a full 18 inches over the original.

I was told they wanted to keep the length short in keeping with RUV designation, but it seems bigger/longer has advantages. Although if Thor added the extra 1'-6" to the 24.1 to make the bathroom much larger, I'd personally like that much better.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #53
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I was told they wanted to keep the length short in keeping with RUV designation, but it seems bigger/longer has advantages. Although if Thor added the extra 1'-6" to the 24.1 to make the bathroom much larger, I'd personally like that much better.
Yeah I'd gladly gain 18" if it meant for a larger bathroom.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #54

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah I'd gladly gain 18" if it meant for a larger bathroom.
That same 18" on driver's side (that could be used for larger bathroom) would also be 18" on passenger side -- meaning larger kitchen and/or wardrobe also. Overall I think it would make a nicer floorplan than the new 25.4 (except for dinette vs couch).
Old 12-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #55
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
That same 18" on driver's side (that could be used for larger bathroom) would also be 18" on passenger side -- meaning larger kitchen and/or wardrobe also. Overall I think it would make a nicer floorplan than the new 25.4 (except for dinette vs couch)
They could easily split that up: The bathroom doesn't really need the full 18". An extra 6" or 10" would be fine, then the other could be used on the slide for a longer couch, or replaced with a dinette.
I was thinking about the passenger side: Adding a few inches of counter space in between the sink & stove and then, perhaps, add a sliding pantry between the stove & fridge.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #56

THOR #2121
Another option: Had they added the length to the bedroom of the 24.1 it should have been possible to have a conventional walk-around island bed that many have asked for -- without having to add a second slide.

I personally like the Twin/King beds for their space efficiency, but also think that an island bed with wardrobes and night tables on each side would have been far better than a corner bed.

For us, we'd prefer the Twin/King beds if it meant larger bath and kitchen.

BTW, it's interesting that we can go back over 20 years and find motorhomes of similar or smaller size with same attributes. Not that much has changed except for slides. I think this is a 25-footer from 1993, although bed is turned 90 degrees. An Axis like this with the Twin/King beds was what I was hoping for. If Thor wants ideas, that's mine. Keep some units simple and pay attention to details. Little things do make a difference. A narrow dinette works for most couples, particularly with front table, while leaving more space to move around. And putting the shower forward in bath places bathroom door further back so it interferes with kitchen/fridge less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1137  
Old 12-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #57

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We really like the twin bed setup in the 24.1. Adding about 6 to 10 inches to the bathroom so that the shower would be larger would be ideal to me. That would also allow increasing the wardrobe by the same amount. Making the twin beds against the wall was a pita (at first) but we have gotten it down to a science and only takes about 3 or 4 mins per bed.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:25 AM   #58

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
Did I read that Thor is discontinuing the model 25.3?????
Old 01-11-2016, 12:26 AM   #59

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
I have a question...Are leveling pads necessary for the Vegas/Axis RUVs?????
Old 01-11-2016, 01:32 AM   #60
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
At the moment the 25.3 remains on the website. Typically when Thor discontinues a model it is removed from the website.
Quote:
Are leveling pads necessary for the Vegas/Axis RUVs?
Are you referring to power jacks or items to place under the tires to level the unit?

The Vegas/Axis units have no power jacks installed from the factory (nor available as a factory installed option) and thus you'll need something to level when parked--unless you always camp on perfectly level sites.