Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #13265
I”be got a 2018 Axis and the cab A/C worked great for COOLING both the front seat passengers and the 2 sofa passengers for June trips to Charlotte, NC AND WV.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #22

Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnlois View Post
Hey All,
We are still in the early stages of trying to determine which make and model are for us. To that end, we have put a deposit on 1 weeks rental of a 2019 Vegas 27.7 for mid August.
In discussion with the owner, we were told that since it will be hot, we will probably want to run the roof AC while driving, and to do that we would need to run the generator. Of course, that would mean many hours charged for excess generator use.
Is the owner correct? Does running the roof AC while driving require running the generator? Is this just on the Vegas, or across all Class A motorhomes?
Look forward to all your helpful comments.
Thanks,
harvnlois
RVer Wannabes
NW Arkansas

We have a 2018 27.7 Vegas. We live in SW FL. If the unit is cool when you leave out. You will not need the house A/C. We also have a 4 year old Boxer. He sleeps on the sofa without any issues. When we are going to stop. We turn on the gen., crank the A/C, so the dash A/C does not have to over come the heat gain. When we head out again we shut the gen. off.
When you are getting ready to stop for the day. You might crank the A/C say 30min. before stopping so that you want be hot while setting the inside up for your stay. This might help the wife be happy.
If you decide that you want to purchase a 27.7 you might want to talk with me. I can help you understand the things you might run into.

Oh, the idea of hanging curtains behind the seat might be good. Now for a quick lesson on the electric bunk and slide. If you lower the bunk just a little the hang the curtain and then back up you will get the system out of timing and the bunk will not operate correctly.
If you open or close the slides only part way and stop you will do the same thing. You could get the slide our of timing so that it not open or close completely. One simple thing is also operate the bunk and/or slides to a complete cycle of open or close, hold button until you do not hear any more sounds. This will tell the computer the full cycle and the bunk or slides will operate to a full open or closed position. If not you will find I am telling you the truth. Been there done that.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Agree. We have had a Vegas and an Axis since 2014 and we have never run our roof AC, even traveling across the central US in September. If you leave it out in the sun it gets hot because of that big window,so we start up the generator if we go into lunch. If at all possible we park in the shade. You might want to run your roof AC in the late afternoon on a sunny day heading west. But generally, you probably won’t need to.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:53 AM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
I read that somebody once tested to see that the generator plus the rooftop air conditioning consume less fuel than running the dashboard air conditioning by itself. It might be something you might want to check out. I would not worry about the hours on the generator as it is recommended to use the generator frequently to keep it running in good shape. The generator is there and is to be used quite a lot so just use it and the gas consumption is about to 0.2 to 0.4 gallons per hour with the air conditioning on for a 4kw onan.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 AM   #25

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #11769
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
I read that somebody once tested to see that the generator plus the rooftop air conditioning consume less fuel than running the dashboard air conditioning by itself. It might be something you might want to check out. I would not worry about the hours on the generator as it is recommended to use the generator frequently to keep it running in good shape. The generator is there and is to be used quite a lot so just use it and the gas consumption is about to 0.2 to 0.4 gallons per hour with the air conditioning on for a 4kw onan.

The Onan 4KW generator, gasoline-fueled, uses 0.3 gph with no load to 0.7 gph at full load, and about 0.5 gph at half load. While driving, you may find this extra fuel consumption acceptable. I am skeptical that is more fuel efficient than the cab AC.

https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/P...761.1562892878
Old 07-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #26

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I find here in Arkansas (hot and humid) we run the generator the entire time we are in the RV and while stopped. But I never tried the curtain behind the cab (I dont think my wife would like that - she gets closterfobic).

My wife cannot tollerate high heat and humidity and its the only way I can keep her happy and get her to travel. She is to get up every hour and walk around or make sandwich etc.

So mine runs all day and if the night time is cooler (like Mid to low 70's) then we turn it off.

My dash AC is not as cold as the Roof AC (like 55 deg at dash vents vs. 42 deg at Roof vents). Plus I dont like to hear the fan on high right next to me so I keep it on low or med.

So I dont worry about using the Generator at all. Ever had a problem but I do think about it and inspect regularly. If I "think" I will be gone (out of the RV) for longer than like 1.5 hours I might turn it off..... or if its in a neighborhood (to noisy).

But if it was just me ... I might not even turn on the Generator for the AC.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote