Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2019, 04:38 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #14867
Vegas/Axis 25.5 bed picture

We have narrowed down our search to an Vegas/Axis and now it’s floorplan. We are a younger family with 3 kids under 8 and 2 dogs! This will be our first RV.

I like the 25.5 floorplan because of seating BUT the thought of the couches turned into a bed and poeple will have to crawl over it to get to the bathroom is a huge negative. I’ve read that some poeple only lay down one side so there is a path to get to the bathroom? The videos I’ve watched seem to show the couches need to “hook up” or will just slide? So how do you that have a 25.5 keep one bed in place while the other is still in couch form? A picture would be great! Thanks

Old 04-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
I went with the 25.2 because of the very issue you're talking about. The idea of crawling across the bed to get to the bathroom wasn't a good idea and while we don't have children we do have friends and family sleeping in the RV on camp outs and I don't want to give up my bed or the lack of privacy. An when we're camping alone I get up early and the wife likes to sleep in, the bedroom with a door separating it from the rest of the RV is a Plus....
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well congratulations.... your ready to purchase your first RV. These are exciting times and your kids will remember for a life time.

I dont have this floor plan but I do love our Axis.

BUT its just the Two of us and sometimes my mom.

I cant imagine 5 people and two dogs in my RV.

Personally I would look at a larger Class C or an Ace / Hurricane with bunks and a dinning are plus a couch. Were are you all going going to sit on a rainy or cold day? I guess you can have the bed folded up on that floor plan and use as a couch but what about dinner time on the road?

At least consider the 27.7 Axis / Vegas floor plan. That way one can sleep in the overhead bunk, one on the dinette and one on the couch if needed. Its a mid entry which works wll with this foor plan.

Just my 2 cents.....
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
My 2 cents worth...look for a floor plan with a bath and a half or at least bunks. With just the two of us and very occasional traveling friends, the half bath is worth a fortune. Holding tank size also increases with coach size. Whatever you buy will reduce it's actual size by 35% once you get packed into it. Anything with "BH" in the model number would be a benefit..."Bunk House".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

State: Arizona
THOR #14867
Thank you!

Great advice! All makes perfect sense!

We did test drive a couple of RV's. One was a Winnebago Brave 28footer and the wife about had a panic attack it drove very very "large". That was the first RV we test drove and she almost swore off the idea after that haha

Then we drove the new 27.7 Axis! It drove like a dream and the wife actually really enjoyed it and thought it would be ok. Now this was without any mods(It seems most people do some drivability to these rigs) but still drove great I thought. Maybe its that extra cost option of electronic stability option of like $900?

Regardless I had thought the 25.5 because that should seat all of us and have enough bed space, just the bathroom issue to deal with. I also REALLY like the 25.1 that has been discontinued but has that lounge area in the back of the RV.

I was thinking of going smaller than the 27.7 because I would want to keep the RV at our house and we have a very steep driveway and thinking the 27.7 might scrape on it because its a little longer than the other floorplans? Maybe some skid wheels would fix this?

I also found a "Gulf Stream Conquest C Class" model 6256

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/prod...ssc/model/6256

Only 25ft and has bunk beds.

Anyone have thought on a Gulf stream conquest vs a Thos Vegas/Axis?

Thanks again
Old 04-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I bet she would like a Class C just fine. Most folk (esp new owners) find themsleves more at home in the smaller cab area and they sit pretty low and dont look as intimidating.

Thats why I Like my Axis. Its a cross between a A and a C .... (I know they make an "A.C.E" and that is kinda their slogan - lol).

Axis/Vegas are Small, light, narrow but with large front winshield and more room in the cockpit area. Awesome (IMO)

I really like that Gulfstream floor plan you pointed out..... That might be more of what you need.

I dont have any local dealers with Gulfstream products and Camping World is only 3 miles away from me ....plus I fell in love with the Axis / Vegas and we were not ready for a "full size" A class.

Im going back to the Gulfstream website now.... I never looked at thier lineup. Very intresting.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"I bet she would like a Class C just fine. Most folk (esp new owners) find themsleves more at home in the smaller cab area and they sit pretty low and dont look as intimidating."

My decision had nothing to do with being intimidated...it was based on the quality of the cab, engine performance...plus...no mods necessary. If came straight from the Ford Plant as completed cab and chassis...ready to do work commercial trucks are designed to do. This is my 7th RV in my life. Any motorhome will be intimidating the first few trips you take. It's like driving a huge U-Haul...overloaded!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
....cut....

I also found a "Gulf Stream Conquest C Class" model 6256

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/prod...ssc/model/6256

Only 25ft and has bunk beds.

Anyone have thought on a Gulf stream conquest vs a Thos Vegas/Axis?

Thanks again

That’s a very efficient floorplan in that it packs a lot of sleeping and seating in 25 feet, but you are giving up a normal bed. If you’re willing to drive 30 feet instead of 25, and like Gulfstream, I suggest you check out model 6280.

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/prod...ssc/model/6280

It’s very similar but with a bedroom and a bit more storage.

This floorplan is very similar to the Thor 28A which Cruise America rents. I have rented it various times and traveled with other family adults.

If you haven’t used a motorhome before, I recommend renting one for a short trip to see what you like, and what you don’t.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:02 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I have to second both Long and Winding and Chance. Do yourself a huge favor and rent an RV, or two or three for some weekends. Yes, that is expensive, but nothing like the misery of learning you bought the wrong rig. Suggest you look for a gently used RV for that first one, and after some time using it you might decide a different choice might fit better.