Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
vegas/axis bathroom door

Has anyone replaced the bathroom door with something that doesn't swing out into the hallway? Just looking for options. Hopefully someone has done something that works.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There are some that have replaced it with a curtain. I think some on IRV2 have also replaced the door.

For us: We like the door as is--it was one of the reasons we purchased the unit.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #3

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
jazzfest,

I'm with Jamie now. I actually thought the door was pretty silly when we bought the unit, but after using it I think it's a great idea. It makes a really nice-size, private dressing room when open which both the DW and I quite like.

But, if you do want to replace it the best option seems to be a folding slider like the one across the bedroom "door". You might even be able to re-purpose that one. Don't know about you, but we've never even opened ours!

Regards,

Randy
Old 05-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

THOR #1448
We tbought about the folding, that is an option. I'll look on irv2 to see if I can find those posts.

I was just looking for a few ideas.
Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Post pic's of whatever you come up with!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #6

THOR #1448
I looked on irv2 for the posts, but did not find them.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Perhaps a bi-fold door.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If I understand the issue correctly my class C and the current Challenger had and have the same type of setup. As Jamie stated when the lav door is open it provides an enclosure making not only the bedroom a larger dressing area it also provides more privacy for someone getting in and out of the shower which is across the hall from my toilet/lav.

Something to consider, using something other is going to require additional mounting hardware or installation of securing points to keep the door or curtain closed or open when traveling and then there is the additional potential for rattle or banging against walls while moving.

Also, and this is the major reason I would never change the layout, I travel for business quite often and more often than not I am flying in regional jets. The aisles are about as wide as an RV hallway and the aircraft use bifold doors on the lavatories. Thinking about an RV hallway would the door open in or out and regardless of the opening direction it will reduce the size of the doorway by at least a couple of inches. The door when open will also either reduce the space in the bathroom when moving around or reduce the space in the hallway/walkway when moving in the coach.

This is one where I'd think long and hard because the end result may not be what you really wanted to accomplish and there will be trade offs.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The door in question is already a bi-fold door. It does serve the purpose Dave mentions though: When in the "open" position the door blocks off entry to the back bedroom and increases the available space in the bathroom--provides a sort of changing area.

Hmm looks like Thor changed it for 2016:

The older model:

Note the bathroom door between the two. Looks like in the new design you can close off both the bedroom and the living room from the bathroom (that way you don't have to kick anyone sleeping out of the bedroom to take a shower--although they would be trapped there until you're done).

I wonder if it is easy to convert between the two (if you don't like the older version perhaps you could get the dealer to convert to the newer or vice-versa).

Makes you wonder if they had too many issues with the old door mechanism, problems manufacturing it (new one looks easier to install)?

Its not like it is the first time Thor has used this arrangement; it's been available in the Siesta Sprinter 24SR for a while:
Old 05-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Not sure of the available space but it looks like a sliding or pocket door would be a possible option. My challenger has a wood sliding door for the bedroom and my class C had a pleated vinyl sliding door that could close off the bedroom only if needed. I believe I used that door one time in the several years of coach ownership.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The front wall is thick enough for a sliding door except that the waste tank vent pipe goes up it, there is a power outlet in that wall (on the couch side), and much of the wiring that goes into the slide is also in that wall. (Most of this from either digging around the slide or looking at diagrams that Thor has sent me.)

The back wall is thinner but also contains the fresh water plumbing for the sink & shower, another outlet, and the wiring for the rear TV.

You could put a sliding door just inside the front wall (inside the bathroom).
Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Check this out for a possible option. This is the type of pleated door that served as the bedroom door on my class C

Pleated Doors | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #13

THOR #1448
We appreciate all the replies and ideas. We're mulling over the options.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #14

Model: Axis
State: Washington
THOR #2137
We have a Thor Axis and the bathroom door is a discussion we have alot. I hate the bathroom door. My husband loves the door. Our 4 year old isnt strong enough to work it and it's a pain to try to have us both behind the door just to open it. Ours also falls off the track every trip. We have taken it back to the dealer to have it adjusted and still does it. I saw the new 2016 Axis and the new bathroom doors are pretty nice might see if we can change ours out to those.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #15

THOR #1448
Bettyboarder
if you do change yours, please post. I would be interested to know if you like it better.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Bathroom Doors

Hello,

First timer here. I have read a lot of the reviews, we just got our 2016 Vegas 24.1 this past Sunday.

The bathroom doors have been done with two doors: the one on the right (as you face the bathroom) opens first and has a magnetic stop that attaches to a small arm just above the freezer when you open the door to go into the bathroom; the second door is hinged on the far left of the bathroom, is hinged on the left side and opens towards the bedroom coming to rest on a small accordin type door (that can be used to isolate the bedroom by itself). This makes for a larger bathroom area with privacy from the couch area and, depending if the left door remains closed, a nice dressing area with access to the bedroom.

What would this site recommend as far as modications and/or early maintainence prevention. I really like the recliners and the 4X4 plastic understorage for the sewer drainage lines. I have read much about the front end, having it aligned empty or near capacity.

I saw someone's wish list of modifications, is there a recommended "to do list for a newbee? My last RV was in 1992, a Coachman 3500 GMC Class B.

Thanks.

DocMike
Old 06-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
I saw someone's wish list of modifications, is there a recommended "to do list for a newbee?
I don't think there really is a "recommended" list as each person has their own needs and wants. Look around at the mods people have done and pick and choose which ones you like and/or will make life easier for you.

The only thing that I think is required is: Get an alignment done with the unit loaded for travel. You want the weight as close to what you normally would have going down the road. That way the alignment measurements/settings will match as close as possible the configuration you'll have while driving. Our dealer recommended putting a few hundred miles on it before getting the alignment done.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:24 AM   #18

THOR #2142
Will do. It has to go in for a couple of fixes we spotted during the walk thru, I'll get with the mechanic and have the alignment checked.

I've seen your postings in quite a few areas of this forum, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:32 AM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Will do. It has to go in for a couple of fixes we spotted during the walk thru, I'll get with the mechanic and have the alignment checked.

I've seen your postings in quite a few areas of this forum, thanks for sharing.
Go to a real truck shop for the alignment the RV folks and regular dealerships do not have the knowledge or equitment to do alignment on a real truck frame
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:05 AM   #20

THOR #2142
Thanks, I'll check with my mechanic and find a truck shop for the alignment.