Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Iowa
THOR #11560
Ongoing water damage to Thor Aria 3901

Purchased brand new June 6, 2017 from McKee RV in Perry, IA. Three service attempts to address multiple issues. The extensive ongoing water damage is by far the worst. Have given up on McKee RV in Perry, IA. It’s time for Thor to take responsibility for this inexcusable situation.
Attached Files

Old 05-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Seems we have another dealer to be added to the "naughty" list. Call Thor Customer Care and explain your issues with the coach and the dealer. They can authorize other service places to take your rig to for warranty work, if the service is poor.

Some dealers pass the buck by blaming poor service on Thor, but many have found out later that the real problem was with the dealership. If you haven't done so, you need to march right into the dealership and talk to the GM or owner. Tell them you really don't want to report them to BBB and other web feedback sites, but... Then, if they don't perform do just that!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

THOR #11560
Thank you for your canned reply. However, the water damage issues I am suffering through are very much a Thor Motor Coach problem. I have attempted service three times for this unresolved very serious water damage issue. The water damage issues are a direct result of an improperly manufactured coach by Thor. While McKee RV did not properly handle my service visits, they did not create the problems. McKee RV was eventually able to resolve several less damaging problems, however the water damage issues are a factory problem. I was willing to accept and deal with the less damaging issues as I understand that imperfections do occur...although ridiculous at this level. The ongoing water damage cannot be overlooked or carelessly accepted. Thor needs to send a knowledgeable representative to me at me coach where I live. The lack of quality control is inexcusable. I’ll spare you the list, photos and videos of the more “minor” issues as my main concern and focus must remain on the ongoing severe water damage issues.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I have no canned replies. All anybody here can do is make suggestions and share our personal experiences. And commiserate. No one here will dispute that unresolved issues with a new coach, especially at your price point, are ridiculous!

Thor Customer Care say when you called them? If you are not getting satisfaction, you need to go up the food chain at Thor. Also, ask the McKee folks for the district Thor rep. You are clearly not getting the attention you deserve.

Some have taken their rigs back to the factory service center, and you might have to do that. You'll need a reservation to do that.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The regional field guy/dealer rep, as mentioned, has authority to pull triggers and make things happen. B4 I purchased, I had several conversations with the rep for my area. He knows my name when I call and promised to resolve any issues I may have. Fortunately I haven't had a single issue...but...the field guy is where to go now. He/she travels your area as they call on the dealers and could possible meet with you somewhere close to you and arrange resolution. It's very frustrating...good luck with it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Looking at the video the only way that much water would be coming in the slide in the middle like that is a problem with the slide topper. This winter on our 06 Monaco the seam of the topper towards the MH left go and was funneling the water in just like that. From the ground you could not see that it was letting go because it is screwed in at both ends. Other than that, that amount of water coming in should be easy to find.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this sort of problem...

...But welcome to the Forum anyway!

Good luck: please let us know what happens next!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #8

THOR #11560
Thank you for your reply, Gritz Carlton. Trying to get to the right person. All information is helpful at this point. Beyond frustrated and disappointed.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #9

THOR #11560
Thank you for your reply, Druff. Yes, the MH has had slide topper issues. Two of the three were to have been replaced at the last service visit. The driver’s side dinette slide appears to have been replaced. Questioning whether or not the passenger side super slide cover was replaced. The majority of damage has occurred on the passenger side.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #10

THOR #11560
Thank you for your message, Bob. Not the adventure I anticipated having with Thor. I will keep this thread updated. Any helpful information is much appreciated.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wish that I had something more useful to add; I've never seen an RV roof do that!
Old 05-14-2018, 12:07 AM   #12

THOR #5432
Problem is on these MH s they are built with the slide toppers as standard so they don't put any thought into what happens when they fail. When we had our 5r we put the toppers on so the slide was designed to keep the water out without them. On our 06 Monaco the rubber top sweep is an inch away from the top so when the topper failed the water just ran in.

Just shows that even a rig that was 250K new is no better than the 80K, 16 Thor Chateau we traded for it. They are all flawed, it's just to what degree.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:17 AM   #13

THOR #11130
Regarding slide toppers...they used to angle downward a little bit. With the slides becoming bigger and bigger for headroom inside, the toppers are almost parallel to the slide roof, if not in some cases, an actual negative grade inward.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #14

THOR #5432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Regarding slide toppers...they used to angle downward a little bit. With the slides becoming bigger and bigger for headroom inside, the toppers are almost parallel to the slide roof, if not in some cases, an actual negative grade inward.
Yes on my Monaco they are pretty much flat. Every time it rains I have to get up there and sweep the water off the toppers before I can put slide in or the water runs in when I retract.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #15

THOR #11560
Thank you for the input. Every little bit of information helps.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirette Tales View Post
Thank you for your canned reply. However, the water damage issues I am suffering through are very much a Thor Motor Coach problem. I have attempted service three times for this unresolved very serious water damage issue. The water damage issues are a direct result of an improperly manufactured coach by Thor. While McKee RV did not properly handle my service visits, they did not create the problems. McKee RV was eventually able to resolve several less damaging problems, however the water damage issues are a factory problem. I was willing to accept and deal with the less damaging issues as I understand that imperfections do occur...although ridiculous at this level. The ongoing water damage cannot be overlooked or carelessly accepted. Thor needs to send a knowledgeable representative to me at me coach where I live. The lack of quality control is inexcusable. I’ll spare you the list, photos and videos of the more “minor” issues as my main concern and focus must remain on the ongoing severe water damage issues.
I have a water problem caused by a rubber seal that was never installed by the factory.I would consider this a manufacturer defect and Thor agreed to fix it even though my warranty was up.After taking it to my dealer,Thor called me back and said I should have caught it sooner,or my dealer should have taken care of it prior to delivery!There was no way you could have noticed it until it was too late! I will never buy anything from Thor again! Good luck with your problem,but I dont think they will take care of it.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #17

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Illinois
THOR #4618
customer service contact

Thor has some work to do on their quality control. I had a punch list of over 100 items on my Challenger 36TL.

Try calling either:
Jim Crosley
Director of Customer Service
574-584-2121
or
Anson Adams
Customer Service Field Rep
662-424-0555

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #18

State: North Carolina
THOR #6919
Thor water issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
Yes on my Monaco they are pretty much flat. Every time it rains I have to get up there and sweep the water off the toppers before I can put slide in or the water runs in when I retract.
Sorry for your troubles, had a 2017 axis was in warranty almost all year only got 3 weekend trips. Traded in for a 2018 winnebago class c spirit, lost 10k but at least everything works. Won't touch another Thor!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #19

THOR #11130
Ever deploy your jacks and hear all that creaking and popping?? Guess what that is? The body is torquing around and it's got to have some affect on the seams and seals.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #20

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
Thor has perfected the art of water leaks

When my Chateau 23U was delivered with 23 material defects I was a bit overwhelmed especially with the dealer's inept attempts to remedy all except one of them. Included in the package were four water leaks, i.e., shower pan not caulked spilling onto the bath floor, kitchen faucet coupling loose and leaking, street water coupling loose inside the exterior wall (requiring over a year to find and then with a borescope...I accessed it by removing a rear tail light and cutting my way in.) and a wheelwell not sealed, flooding the interior floor when driving in rain. Fortunately, I had the patience and skills to repair these problems and others. Thor did supply the parts needed, however. It could have been worse.

The 23U has no slideout, so I may have missed opportunities there.

Now that it's debugged, we really do like the 23U and put about 10k miles on it a year.

I have heard of folks having very few Thor delivery problems, so maybe I'm a three-sigma case.

BTW, my previous Winnebago 24V (similar floor plan) had very few delivery problems, all easily fixed. Go figure!

Tags
aria, mckee, toppers, water