Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
I've always wondered why they made it black. You'd think it should blend in with the roof.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
In my technical opinion -- essentially none.

The A/C moves a lot of air across condenser (100s of cubic feet per minute), so once operating the air passing through condenser won't have much time to heat up. Additionally, even if the condenser air warmed up a fraction of a degree (or even more), it wouldn't reduce cooling "capacity" appreciably. It would mostly increase the condensing pressure which makes compressor work a little harder, and pull a little more current, but it wouldn't affect cooling capacity enough to worry about. I doubt we could even measure the difference.

My biggest concern would be with plastic cover getting hot and brittle when the air conditioner wasn't operating.
I agree: I don't see how the A/C cover color/heat would affect its performance.

Plastic doesn't usually get brittle with heat, though. Its been my experience that outdoor plastic gets brittle with extended exposure to UV.

For the record our Sunguard cover was $318.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #23

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I agree: I don't see how the A/C cover color/heat would affect its performance.

Plastic doesn't usually get brittle with heat, though. Its been my experience that outdoor plastic gets brittle with extended exposure to UV.

For the record our Sunguard cover was $318.
Could you tell us what model you purchased since the Axis/Vegas window is unique.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53
Could you tell us what model you purchased since the Axis/Vegas window is unique.
I don't know the model #. I simply called them and ordered over the phone--when I ordered it the only Axis floorplan out was the 24.1. The Axis/Vegas lines were new enough that I didn't know if they had one available for it yet or not (they did, obviously).

That would be my recommendation if you are interested in one; just call them. They will give you a quote over the phone.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
.....cut.....

Has anyone used the Adco Windshield Cover on a Class A windshield ?

....cut....
Great question. I'd research that before buying.

I haven't, but will add that what makes a windshield cover so practical for me on Ford Class C or van is that I can install or remove it from ground level. If I had to climb up on a ladder due to typical Class A height I may feel very differently.

I attach at one end on door and then walk it around. It only takes a couple of minutes (folding for storage takes longest). If motorhome glass was 3 or 4 feet higher, it may require repositioning a ladder multiple times plus a second person to help hold it in place along the way. If that were the case I'd probably use an interior curtain.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I attach at one end on door and then walk it around. It only takes a couple of minutes (folding for storage takes longest). If motorhome glass was 3 or 4 feet higher, it may require repositioning a ladder multiple times plus a second person to help hold it in place along the way. If that were the case I'd probably use an interior curtain.
I can usually do the Sunguard myself. Right now I'm only using velcro to hold it in place (you have the option for snaps but I haven't wanted to drill into the Axis just yet). Its held on the top in 3 places: each side and the middle. I picked up the RV folding ladder at campingworld just to put the Sunguard on.

Note that there is another windshield cover that is much easier to put up (didn't find out about it until after I had purchased the sunguard). Check out this one: RV-Sunscreen.com.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I like Jamie's solution but are their other choices of companies for a window cover? I'd like to research a little.

Phil
Old 04-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #28

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
Check out this one: RV-Sunscreen.com.
Just called these guys - dont have one that will fit the Axis/Vegas. Also tried Magnashade - too expensive for me.
So I ordered some fabic to make my own. I will post something if it comes out OK.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #29

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
We live in South Florida, and use our RV year round here. We use an Eclipse sunshade on our ACE 30.2. It is a pleated shade that attaches to the inside of the windshield and stays there. You pull it out to open and it has spring retraction. It is fabric with a reflective coat facing outside. While outside ones may be better, we are rarely in one spot more than 2 nights (weekend trips) and at 5'2" it is challenging to use any outside cover for my ACE!!!!! Our sunshade is so convenient we use it when parking for shopping or touring. It does tend to sag in the middle--easily fixed using a Command hook (love those!) and hair elastic band. Our unit is bigger than the Axis, and the humidity reduced the effectiveness of the single A/C substantially (wait till you see your mpg drop for the same reason). We added a second A/C to help my DH keep his cool. May can be tricky here in FL--after the 15th is is full summer in central and south Florida. Have fun down here--May is one of the best months to visit!!

PS: I have no relationship with Eclipse other than having used their product on my Class C and on my ACE.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #30

THOR #1448
Thanks for the info. The inside windshield shade sounds convenient. But for us, the outside shade sounds better. We have dogs that want to look out the window, so the shade wouldn't last long.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #31

THOR #1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I wondered the same thing...rather unusual color for an a/c cover !!!
Thor must have gotten them for a NICKEL each !!

Has anyone used the Adco Windshield Cover on a Class A windshield ?

there is a huge price difference between the Adco and Sunguard...
....yes, I know...you get what you pay for !
We just got the adco delivered.
We got it on the Vegas in about 15 minutes, probably will take less time next time.
(One tip, I hooked the top strap to a broom, and handed it up to DH on the roof, beacause I was having trouble tossing it up to him).

As previously stated, we can't see through it. It does cover the entire windshield.
We ordered it online from Walmart for about $76 including tax, free delivery.

I did find it a little cheaper at other online stores, but I wanted to be able to return it at Walmart if I needed to.

So, we'll see how it stands up to the wind & weather.