Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
Vegas in Florida heat

Due to unavoidable events, we couldn't spend the winter in Florida, like we wanted to.

We do want to go, but the only time we can go would be in May. I know it's very hot then.
We usually go to Ocala and sometimes Daytona.

Can anyone tell me, will my 15000 btu ac unit be able to keep up? We haven't used the ac in that kind of heat yet.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest View Post
Due to unavoidable events, we couldn't spend the winter in Florida, like we wanted to.

We do want to go, but the only time we can go would be in May. I know it's very hot then.
We usually go to Ocala and sometimes Daytona.

Can anyone tell me, will my 15000 btu ac unit be able to keep up? We haven't used the ac in that kind of heat yet.
We go to Lakeland, FL for the couple weeks surrounding 4th of July each year. It is, typically, around 90 . We have a new Axis 24.1, this will the first summer down there,wth the new coach..however, our B+ was fine and it was the same length as the Axis. In addition, we have a nice fan which we bring along to allow us to open the windows on a cool evening and roof vents..to stir up the air.
This forum has many Florida residents..I am sure they can give you accurate info.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #3

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Vegas air conditioning.

We live in the Daytona area, and travel Florida a lot. If you keep the front windshield shade down, as well as all the shades, you will be comfortable. Huge amounts of heat come in through the front windshield. That is the main source of interior heat. I use a reflective folding panel that covers the entire glass on the inside. I put up the reflective accordion panel, and drop the front shade behind it to hold it in place. These shades are available at any RV store. The Vegas is quite well insulated, so the 15,000 btu unit works well. We also have an oscillating stick fan that circulates the air and helps maintain an even cool temperature inside the coach. When we travel, I hang a blanket from the front overhead bunk down to the floor behind the driver and passenger seat. This keeps the front cabin much cooler, as the dash air cannot cool the entire coach. You could also run the generator and roof air while driving. I did install a dashmat that does help keep the coach cooler and much quieter when driving. it is surprising how a dashmat can quiet the coach from engine and road noise.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
I have a axis 25-1. I live in palm coast just east of Ocala. I camp Florida most of the time around the coast and beaches. I don't have a problem with the ac keeping up, but I don't run it all of the time, mostly for sleeping. even camping 10 miles inland from the ocean makes a huge difference in the temp.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #5

THOR #1448
Thanks for the replies. We're hoping to make it down there. It sounds like we should be ok.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #6

Model: Axis
State: New Jersey
THOR #3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
We live in the Daytona area, and travel Florida a lot. If you keep the front windshield shade down, as well as all the shades, you will be comfortable. Huge amounts of heat come in through the front windshield. That is the main source of interior heat. I use a reflective folding panel that covers the entire glass on the inside. I put up the reflective accordion panel, and drop the front shade behind it to hold it in place. These shades are available at any RV store. The Vegas is quite well insulated, so the 15,000 btu unit works well. We also have an oscillating stick fan that circulates the air and helps maintain an even cool temperature inside the coach. When we travel, I hang a blanket from the front overhead bunk down to the floor behind the driver and passenger seat. This keeps the front cabin much cooler, as the dash air cannot cool the entire coach. You could also run the generator and roof air while driving. I did install a dashmat that does help keep the coach cooler and much quieter when driving. it is surprising how a dashmat can quiet the coach from engine and road noise.
Can you share what dashmat you purchased? Thanks
Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 AM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I may this comment once before -- we have a 2015 Vegas 24.1. We live in Tampa and stay at Fort Wilderness about once s month. We have the 15K A/C. My wife can turn the interior into a meat locker. You'll not have a problem with the Vegas being too hot.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 AM   #8

THOR #1448
Thanks bevedfelker.
Speaking of Fort Wilderness, what do you think the best, least crowded, month is at the fort?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:26 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Another Florida Vegas owner here.The 15K AC is fine overnight, we run a small fan and close all the AC vents except the bedroom when it is really steamy out. On the road, if it is over 85 and sunny, the dash air isn't enough for the whole coach, so we'll run the generator and the coach air. If the sun isn't in front of us, we often only need the roof air until the coach is cooled down.
May in Florida is more like southern Illinois in August. The good thing about Florida in May, most all of the snow birds are gone! You will be glad you came.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:11 AM   #10

THOR #1448
We've been to Florida many times, just not in May. April is the latest we've been there.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
We too have been to Florida many times to see the family...the summer visit is always in July...coming from Kansas to Florida is not much different. Hot and humid is hot and humid wherever it is !! Ha !
I DO appreciate the tips regarding adding the additional reflective screen on the windshield...we have always used one in our other RV's...but know we will need a larger one for the Axis. Also, I like the idea of cutting off the cockpit from the rest of the coach when on the road.
At the end of our visit in Lakeland, I am lobbying to go to Ft. Wilderness because of your comments on how nice it is. Hope it happens !

THANK YOU !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You could always get an outside cover like the Sunguard RV cover.
Here it is on ours:

From the inside:

(There are other brands available that go on a little easier.)
It reduces the incoming light by 94% with the advantage that the light doesn't have to come through the front window first. We've had it now for a season and it really does reduce how warm the front gets on those clear sky sunny days.

You do have to close the curtains at night though because the effect is reversed when its brighter inside the RV than outside.

We do use the foil when the RV is in storage though (don't really want to leave the sunguard out side all the time so we only use it when camping).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #13

THOR #1448
JamieGeek, that looks fantastic.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Regardless of RV model, it's much easier to stay cool if you keep sun away from windows. We camp in Florida often (lived there and still have lots of family in Florida) and the principles are always the same.

Like Jamie, we also use a windshield cover (Adco) that makes a big difference, specially if motorhome or van is facing south. Parked facing north minimizes sun coming through windshield so we can keep the cover off longer.

In my opinion shades and curtains on the inside don't reduce a/c heat load as much as it appears. Once sun comes through glass most of the heat remains trapped inside the RV and adds to a/c load. Parking in shade, outside covers, and use of awning to keep sun away from windows can make a big difference.

A lot also depends on individual tolerance to heat. My wife and I are OK with 80*F (but prefer cooler) while others need it to be 70*F. And that affects the A/C's cooling capacity significantly. The warmer it gets inside the RV, the greater the A/C's capacity so it tends to level off (i.e. -- it'll keep up just at a higher inside temperature).
Old 04-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Regardless of RV model, it's much easier to stay cool if you keep sun away from windows. We camp in Florida often (lived there and still have lots of family in Florida) and the principles are always the same.

Like Jamie, we also use a windshield cover (Adco) that makes a big difference, specially if motorhome or van is facing south. Parked facing north minimizes sun coming through windshield so we can keep the cover off longer.

In my opinion shades and curtains on the inside don't reduce a/c heat load as much as it appears. Once sun comes through glass most of the heat remains trapped inside the RV and adds to a/c load. Parking in shade, outside covers, and use of awning to keep sun away from windows can make a big difference.

A lot also depends on individual tolerance to heat. My wife and I are OK with 80*F (but prefer cooler) while others need it to be 70*F. And that affects the A/C's cooling capacity significantly. The warmer it gets inside the RV, the greater the A/C's capacity so it tends to level off (i.e. -- it'll keep up just at a higher inside temperature).
Thank you Chance & Jamie for your feedback .. we have never had an exterior windshield cover, ... it will be on our list .. makes sense.
Knowing the importance of utilizing shade and direction of parking does help on those warm days. Like you, we easily tolerate/adjust to what the summer months offer, wherever we are. In the Midwest it is difficult to escape !

Chance... I viewed the video on the Adco .. is it semi-transparent like the Sunguard ? Not that it is the important, just curious. I read a couple reviews on Amazon...some critical...what is your opinion...considering it is price friendly, compared to the Sunguard ?
Thankyou !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
...cut...

Chance... I viewed the video on the Adco .. is it semi-transparent like the Sunguard ? Not that it is the important, just curious. I read a couple reviews on Amazon...some critical...what is your opinion...considering it is price friendly, compared to the Sunguard ?
Thankyou !
I've had two; both the same. The first was on my Ford Class C, and I now have another on my Ford van. Attached is picture I copied off Internet (not my RV). Mine where both plain white vinyl although I see on their Website that they have other models with panels that must have other functions.

Mine are not transparent, although you can see a little background light compared to total darkness. We always use it for privacy even if not needed to keep sun out. It also helps a little to keep inside warm in winter (not much, but a little).

I have no experience with Sunguard so I can't compare to each other. On my van the Adco does an even better job than on Class C because the Class C had an overhang over windshield, whereas van's windshield is much more exposed to sun.

The van is also smaller, so having cover on outside makes the inside feel larger. It gives us better access to using and placing things on front seats and dash.

We normally only stay in one place overnight, but even if staying a week we leave it on. And the loss of visibility is a downside, although it would only take 5 minutes to remove if the view was worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1750  
Old 04-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #17
vkb

THOR #3510
thank you !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #18

THOR #1448
I wonder how much the black air conditioner cover on the roof effects the cooling capabilities.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #19
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
I wonder how much the black air conditioner cover on the roof effects the cooling capabilities.
I wondered the same thing...rather unusual color for an a/c cover !!!
Thor must have gotten them for a NICKEL each !!

Has anyone used the Adco Windshield Cover on a Class A windshield ?

there is a huge price difference between the Adco and Sunguard...
....yes, I know...you get what you pay for !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:
In my technical opinion -- essentially none.

The A/C moves a lot of air across condenser (100s of cubic feet per minute), so once operating the air passing through condenser won't have much time to heat up. Additionally, even if the condenser air warmed up a fraction of a degree (or even more), it wouldn't reduce cooling "capacity" appreciably. It would mostly increase the condensing pressure which makes compressor work a little harder, and pull a little more current, but it wouldn't affect cooling capacity enough to worry about. I doubt we could even measure the difference.

My biggest concern would be with plastic cover getting hot and brittle when the air conditioner wasn't operating.