Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
HID and Halogen lights are old technology. They get hot and are not efficient. LED's are the way to go. Just mount on the front and tie into existing headlight circuit. Also many different configurations to suit your lighting needs.
I agree! LED lighting is the way to go!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: HAD Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Here is a stock conversion kit for H13 to LED from Walmart for about $35. Easy to return if it doesn't work. Its wet right now IE raining, or I would go outside and unplug my lamp. Its stamped on the bulb usually.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Biltek-LE...&wl13=&veh=sem

If this link doesn't work just google "H13 lamp conversion to LED" and it will give you a bunch of options. Same thing on Amazon. Good luck and I'm sure you can do it!!
Thx again! I did look at a bunch on Amazon earlier - yet kept running into things like the type of housing making a difference (projection vs reflection) and not just whether i buy H13. Also, some of the LED's are longer than the halogens and would not fit. I suppose I should just wait and get one out (from inside engine compartment I assume?) and take it to Walmart or Autozone haha
Old 11-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dPad2 View Post
Thx again! I did look at a bunch on Amazon earlier - yet kept running into things like the type of housing making a difference (projection vs reflection) and not just whether i buy H13. Also, some of the LED's are longer than the halogens and would not fit. I suppose I should just wait and get one out (from inside engine compartment I assume?) and take it to Walmart or Autozone haha
It is easy. Comes out with a 1/4 turn twist and has a plug on the end. May have to push a little piece of plastic to get it unplugged. Thats one advantage of Walmart. Ship to store and return to store!

Ill snap some pictures later and post them.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Here are 2 pics

This one for location with jumble of wires.

Next one shows another lamp that is very similar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171108_155546.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	7685   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171108_155607.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	7686  

Old 08-29-2021, 01:55 AM   #25

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #21565
HELP!!! My 2017 Thor Vegas 24.1 vertically stacks the headlights and the passenger side is all but impossible to reach. There are THREE screws on the back, 2 on top of the assembly (L/R adj?) and one on the bottom (up/down). The passenger side lower screw seems to do nothing. How do I adjust these critters??? I'm replacing the bulbs with LEDs at the same time. Any easy way to remove the headlight assemblies? Thanks! Make me wish I'd got an Axis 24.1 with the lights laid out horizontally! LOL!
Old 08-29-2021, 02:27 AM   #26

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Kev,
I've decided to leave it be for now . Seems that it can be a slippery slope putting higher output bulbs in there.
The Vegas light housings are quite small and I worry that increases output will also mean increased heat.
Another consideration is increased draw by the higher output bulbs stressing the headlight switch.
So not wanting to risk bulb failure from overheating or switch failure from heavier draw I will leave well enough alone for the time being.
Not sure about some of the newer halogens, but it used to be manufacturers would use a slightly thinner filament which burned hotter = brighter. However, that scheme shortened the filament life. I suggest keeping extras on hand if you go that route.

Of course you could (illegally) use Hella 130/90 H4 tubes. Many off-roaders use those --- BUT they aim them properly and accurately. They MUST be aimed for proper cut-off, or you will blind oncoming drivers. When aimed properly, they are as close to xenon projector beams as you can get using old school lamps.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:59 AM   #27

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I replaced with LED
It helps a bit
But as previously noted, for some reason the layout is such that they don’t perform very well

Regarding adjustments, you gotta get your hand in there
You can also turn your wheels far right or left to give you more room to reach in from bottom.
The adjustment screws are a bit difficult to figure out as well

I was able to have most success when I faced coach about 20-30’ from garage door at dusk. And then did my adjustments.

Bottomline, brights work the best. Low beams are below average.

Some on this Forum have added driving lights (LED box lights) to use with low beams and fog lamps for increased illumination
Old 08-31-2021, 09:39 PM   #28

THOR #21565
Thanks TaylorBob1. Did you have to remove the inner fender well on the passenger side to access the hi/lo beams? I've tried turning the wheel all the way to the left and still can't reach them...but then I'm only 6' 2'' tall. There are 3 screws to adjust but no one has yet to tell me which ones you turn, which way. More dialogue need, for sure. Jimeth1616
Old 08-31-2021, 10:59 PM   #29

THOR #16721
If you're looking for "throw" of useable light ahead, you MUST have decent focused projector style lenses. Some of the LED light options appear incredibly bright to the eye... but just being bright (lumens) is only part of the picture. I see guys put those LED light bars on their bumper, and yes, they're bright... some use an incredible amount of amperage too.

But without proper focusing of that light, most is scattered and wasted. Illuminating 100' out in front of you at 60mph won't get it done. With proper focusing using lenses, and proper aiming you should be seeing 200' ahead... or over 400' with quality high-beams.

Just because those lights are bright doesn't mean they are effective/efficient driving lights. There's plenty of studies/data out there on this subject.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:07 PM   #30

THOR #21565
Hi Chateau Nomad: my problem is how to access the adjusting screws, what each of the 3 screws do, and how to access them on the Vegas, which stacks the lights vertically. VERY difficult to reach above or below.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:23 PM   #31

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimeth1616 View Post
Thanks TaylorBob1. Did you have to remove the inner fender well on the passenger side to access the hi/lo beams? I've tried turning the wheel all the way to the left and still can't reach them...but then I'm only 6' 2'' tall. There are 3 screws to adjust but no one has yet to tell me which ones you turn, which way. More dialogue need, for sure. Jimeth1616
Well you’re a bit taller than me, so your arms are longer as well.

Of the three beams on the photo below
- top is blinker
- middle is low beam
- bottom is high beam

That said, both low beams can be accessed from the front, with grill in the down/open position. High beams reached from under side thru wheel well, no inner fender well needs to be removed. At least not on my rig. Who knows if Thor changed the build during the model year.

For low beams…
Driver side is ez. Do it first so you know how it works.
Passenger side is difficult due to tight space. But can be done. Suggest you wear light gloves so you don’t cut your hand.
It’s all feel for the passenger side

Regarding the adjustment, the two high screws are right/left adjustment. While the single lower screw is the high/low adjustment.

You’ll need a small, very light weight open faced non-adjustable crescent wrench of the proper size. Off hand, I’m not sure what size it is.
Here’s an Amazon example of the type of baby wrench set that will work…

https://www.amazon.com/SPEEDWOX-Comb...54055053&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08PQ...A3TX3Z5Z5OFI4X
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C97C0DA4-9663-4A27-95CF-C248812883FA.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	33238  
Old 08-31-2021, 11:48 PM   #32

THOR #16721
As for aiming your headlights, YouTube is your friend... many videos about how to do that at home. Once you find the vertical/horizontal adjustment screws for each, just follow one of those guides. It just takes a little persistent tweaking to get them just right.