Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
Want to remove microwave in Hurricane 27K

I have a large 1500 Watt Whirlpool microwave in my Hurricane. Does anyone know how to remove it? There is no cabinet above it so I can't get to the bolts from above and I don't know how the wood panel is attached that is over the top of the oven. I want to replace the 1500W with a 900W so I can use it with my solar power on 2 6-volt Trojan Batteries. The 1500 is way bigger and more power than I need and I don't want to keep starting my generator every time I want to heat up something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	2832  

Old 08-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: windsport 27k
State: Florida
THOR #1140
microwave

Hi the wood panel above the microwave is just held in with a pop pin on each end. Just use a screwdriver to pry it out.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Yep same as my 2015 Tuscany. Took me a long time to figure it out as well!
Old 08-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

THOR #3772
Thanks

Thank you. Makes sense but didn't want to start prying when I didn't know for sure how to get it out. I will give it a try.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Just curious: Is the 1500 watt cooking power or electrical power?

I'm only asking because electrical numbers are typically around 50% higher than cooking wattage, and if you replace a 1500 watt electrical power microwave with a 900 watt cooking power microwave you may not gain as much as expected.

I apologize in advance if you already knew this. Just trying to help if you didn't.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

THOR #3772
Good question

Thanks for your question. I don't know how to determine the difference. I just go by what the label on the microwaves say. They don't tell me what is electrical power and what is cooking power.
The 1500W label says "input 120V, 60 Hz single phase 1500W" then under that it says "output 950 W 2450 MHz".
The 900W says "120 Vac 60Hz 1350W 900W frequency 2450MHz.
I don't know how to decipher all of that into what is cooking power and what is electrical power of each of them. Can you?
Old 08-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnative View Post
Thanks for your question. I don't know how to determine the difference. I just go by what the label on the microwaves say. They don't tell me what is electrical power and what is cooking power.
The 1500W label says "input 120V, 60 Hz single phase 1500W" then under that it says "output 950 W 2450 MHz".
The 900W says "120 Vac 60Hz 1350W 900W frequency 2450MHz.
I don't know how to decipher all of that into what is cooking power and what is electrical power of each of them. Can you?
I was concerned that was the case because I'm not familiar with any residential microwaves that go to 1500 Watts of cooking power. That was the red flag that caught my attention. If they exist they would be rare, and it would be even more rare to end up in an RV because of the electrical power they would require.

Microwaves are usually rated by cooking power. Large ones around 1000 watts are very common, which require around 1500 watts of electricity. You appear to have a 950 Watt microwave that pulls 1500 watts of electricity.

The 900 Watt cooking power unit you list uses 1350 watts of electricity. You'd only be saving 150 watts, which really isn't that much.

We use a 700 Watt microwave in our van very often, and it pulls just above 1000 watts of electricity. In general most microwaves pull 50% more electrical power than their cooking power; give or take a little.

Another important factor to consider is that when you use a lower-power microwave, you will likely end up running it longer to get the same job done; so essentially you will partly offset some of the lower power you gained. Granted it's easier on batteries to go as low on power as practical.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

THOR #2121
P.S.

Did you consider going to 4 batteries (assuming you have room)?

It may give you more bang for the buck. I don't know your specifics, or whether that's even an option. Just food for thought.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #9

THOR #3772
Yes, I would like to eventually add 2 more batteries but would have to have a compartment converted next to the existing battery compartment. There is no extra room where my 2 batteries are held now. 'There is a comparable size compartment adjacent to the batteries but it is only accessible from the inside next to my entry steps. I am going to get some estimates on what it would cost to convert it. When I have the money to buy the batteries and have the work done that's what I'll do.
Thanks to all of you for the input. It has really helped give me some options.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

THOR #3772
Just a follow up FYI - I turned off my shore power, turned on the solar power and ran the 900W microwave to reheat some cold pizza. It worked! I tried the same with the 1500W microwave and it shut down after 3 seconds just as it had when Solar Mike (in Slab City) tried it. He is the one who suggested I might be able to use a 800-900W microwave with the solar. So I have some guys here in the campground where I am parked who are going to help me change it out and put in a shelf to hold the smaller oven. It is also MUCH lighter weight so, being in my slide, might be an advantage.
Thanks, again, for all your help.

Tags
removing microwave