Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Virginia
THOR #4004
Warranty Question

Has ANY Thor owner EVER been notified at time of purchase that if you used the vehicle for a 'business' that it significantly CHANGES the warranty???

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not specifically specified/explained by the dealer but it is clearly written in the warranty which you are allowed, under federal law, to review prior to purchasing.

Under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act neither the dealer nor manufacturer are required to explain the warranty provisions and/or procedures. They are, however, required to, upon your request, present you with a copy to review prior to making the purchase.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

THOR #4004
Did you read yours?

Dave,
While I would normally agree with you, this subject I am talking about SIGNIFICANTLY CHANGES the warranty! Thor's warranty is the ONLY one in the industry that CHANGES the Terms and Conditions if a purchaser uses the vehicle for anything OTHER than 'personal' (even Thor cannot define that term) use.
What I'm referring too is the fact that if a family uses it for 'business or commercial use', your warranty changes from ONE year to THREE months!! Seriously?!?!?
Oh, BTW, the Magnusson/Moss lemon law is almost as worthless as the paper it is written on.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelink View Post
Dave,
While I would normally agree with you, this subject I am talking about SIGNIFICANTLY CHANGES the warranty! Thor's warranty is the ONLY one in the industry that CHANGES the Terms and Conditions if a purchaser uses the vehicle for anything OTHER than 'personal' (even Thor cannot define that term) use.
What I'm referring too is the fact that if a family uses it for 'business or commercial use', your warranty changes from ONE year to THREE months!! Seriously?!?!?
Oh, BTW, the Magnusson/Moss lemon law is almost as worthless as the paper it is written on.
You are correct, Thor does change the terms whereas other manufacturers have no warranty what-so-ever for commercial use so in this regards Thor is far superior in warranty coverage than other brands.

If you read the warranties for Forest River, my last rig, and Fleetwood, commercial use discharges those manufacturers from any obligation under the warranty beginning on day one. They do not even offer the 3 month commercial use warranty offered by Thor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

THOR #4004
More info

Dave,

I actually did some research (I retired as as Intel guy and we NEVER take one piece of info as gospel... LOL) and found FIVE other manufactures that DO NOT modify the warranty if used for any other purpose than personal. And, found one that will even 'build' a commercial RV for you!!

Everyone of them said the same thing, 'why would we change the warranty if you use it for a personal business?'. The bottom line is, our rig has been literally broken from the day of delivery and many of the issues have NOT been minor, all we want is our money back and move on. If I wanted to buy a 'fixer upper', I would have bought a USED rig and saved myself a LOT of money over time and been able to use it.

We bought our rig Memorial Day last year, the FIRST catastrophic failure happened over the 4th of July weekend, less than 5 weeks after picking it up. We have NOT been able to use the vehicle since last December and here it is the 1st of December and it has been PARKED ever since getting it back from the factory service center because of their neglect. Now, you tell me you wouldn't be pissed if you were paying and insuring a $100k plus vehicle that you CANNOT USE!!
Old 12-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Hey Spacelink,

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your rig! I too had a defective rig a couple of years ago. The best advice I can give is to keep on the dealer! They unfortunately are at least 50% of the problem! Hold them accountable, demand that Thor hold them accountable, remember your dealer is acting as an agent for TMC. Get a copy of every work order, I request a copy when I drop it off with all the discrepancies, as well as get a copy after work was completed, showing what was repaired and if it wasn't repaired who denied the repair.

I will call the dealer weekly and check on the status of the repairs, keeping a journal of conversations. When it came time to file a Lemon Law claim under the Magnusson Moss act, I was able to put forth a strong argument and case. I was successful using the Lemon Law.

In closing there are some on this board that are die-hard TMC fans, cheerleaders and even some corporate moles lurking and don't like it when others voice descenting opinions!!

You spent a lot of money for a product, hold them and your dealer accountable!!

Tags
lawsuit, thor 34j, warranty