Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
waste system

i just bought a 2017 Thor challenger 37YT and i'll be darned if i can figure the book for the waste dumps.
in the compartment in front of the rear wheel there's a dump valve, nothing labeled, it's where the washout fitting is and the water valves and pump..
behind the rear wheel there's another dump valve, nothing else in the compartment.. i was able to see most of the tank, maybe 8" high, length goes across to the other side of the coach. looks to be a foot and a half wide.
if the rear tank is the black water tank, how the heck does it drain ? there looks to be very little slope to the discharge valve.. it does have a larger part of the tank closer to the valve, but geez, what have i got myself into ?

the thought of two discharges isn't what i wanted, it was easier to wash it out with grey water with my fifth wheel..
since i bought this thing i'm on information overload..will have other questions later.

help for a newbie anyone ??

Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
likely your second black tank, for the rear bath...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #3

THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
likely your second black tank, for the rear bath...
this one only has a single bath.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:22 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
waste system

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
i just bought a 2017 Thor challenger 37YT and i'll be darned if i can figure the book for the waste dumps.
in the compartment in front of the rear wheel there's a dump valve, nothing labeled, it's where the washout fitting is and the water valves and pump..
behind the rear wheel there's another dump valve, nothing else in the compartment.. i was able to see most of the tank, maybe 8" high, length goes across to the other side of the coach. looks to be a foot and a half wide.
if the rear tank is the black water tank, how the heck does it drain ? there looks to be very little slope to the discharge valve.. it does have a larger part of the tank closer to the valve, but geez, what have i got myself into ?

the thought of two discharges isn't what i wanted, it was easier to wash it out with grey water with my fifth wheel..
since i bought this thing i'm on information overload..will have other questions later.

help for a newbie anyone ??

I have a 2017 Miramar with grey tanks front and rear. The rear tank on my coach is for the kitchen sink only. The front has a grey and and black water tanks. Those two tanks have dump valves side by side. The rear grey tank has it's own dump valve in a different compartment. The rear gray water tank is about the size you mentioned and goes across the entire coach and doesn't look like it has much of a slope.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:23 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Virginia
THOR #6664
Hi,

On my Hurricane 35M the valve pull handles are different colors. Black for black tanks and grey for grey tanks. Just a thought?

Jim
Old 03-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
black tanks had 3 in lines, gray tanks have about 1 1/2 inch lines if you can't see the color of the handle. My Challenger 37TB has two of each. One set of dump in the compartment with the water panel and one set in rear compartment.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:11 AM   #7

THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccombe View Post
Hi,

On my Hurricane 35M the valve pull handles are different colors. Black for black tanks and grey for grey tanks. Just a thought?

Jim
both handles are black..
Old 03-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #8

THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
black tanks had 3 in lines, gray tanks have about 1 1/2 inch lines if you can't see the color of the handle. My Challenger 37TB has two of each. One set of dump in the compartment with the water panel and one set in rear compartment.

i'll check it in the morning..what a weird setup.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
i'll check it in the morning..what a weird setup.
Yes, the size of the pipe going to the tank will tell you its function - the 3" is the black tank.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #10

THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Yes, the size of the pipe going to the tank will tell you its function - the 3" is the black tank.

i told you i'd check the diameters today...i lied.

it's 38 degrees and raining, i'm a dainty old fart and homey don't play dat !

tomorrow...i will come out of my hole and check it out.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my 2015 37ND with single bath, there are three 40 galloon tanks. Black - toilet only. Front gray - Kitchen sink and lavatory sink (driver's side fixtures). Rear gray tank - Shower, outdoor kitchen and washer (passenger's side fixtures).

When I talked to Thor a couple years ago I was told the rear tank was intended as a black tank for the bath and a half units but on the single bath units it is a second gray tank.

Of note is although the rear tank is a gray tank, it has a black handle on the dump valve.

Contact Thor and ask for the waste water diagrams for your coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #12

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
My buddy just bought a different Challenger model than mine. Don't recall the model letter but it is a 2016. I have one black tank handle and one gray tank handle in my convenience center. He has that set-up but in addition he has a second gray tank handle behind his rear tire, go figure.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #13

THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
My buddy just bought a different Challenger model than mine. Don't recall the model letter but it is a 2016. I have one black tank handle and one gray tank handle in my convenience center. He has that set-up but in addition he has a second gray tank handle behind his rear tire, go figure.
that confused me so i went out and dumped a bucket of water in the toilet, it came out the blackwater valve. the valve in the rear is also black so i'll just put grey tape on the handle... i called Thor and that handle was supossed to be changed to grey.

funny thing, he sent me the schematics showing the middle tank as the black water when it's the front one.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #14

THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
On my 2015 37ND with single bath, there are three 40 galloon tanks. Black - toilet only. Front gray - Kitchen sink and lavatory sink (driver's side fixtures). Rear gray tank - Shower, outdoor kitchen and washer (passenger's side fixtures).

When I talked to Thor a couple years ago I was told the rear tank was intended as a black tank for the bath and a half units but on the single bath units it is a second gray tank.

Of note is although the rear tank is a gray tank, it has a black handle on the dump valve.

Contact Thor and ask for the waste water diagrams for your coach.
got it ! thank you.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Question Planning Ahead for Sewer Hose and Cleanout System Questions

Hi All,

My coach should be here today and my walkthrough is on Friday. I asked Thor to send a diagram of the sewer system in hopes that it will enlighten me regarding such things as if I buy a swivel stick is the toilet directly on top of the black tank (one type of swivel stick) or is there a bend in the plumbing which requires a different swivel stick. When you look at the diagram, what do you see? Seems as if there is a bend?

Other question, is the valve for the black tank a straight shot to the back of the tank, which would make something like the Flush King a good way to clean out the tank or are there bends in the pipes between the clean out valve and the tank? Seems as if it's likely that there are bends given how awkwardly placed the black tank valves seem to be from what you all have said?

I am not up for drilling a hole in the black tank to install a system to clean it out at this juncture in time but seems as if I might not have a choice or else use the twisty version of the swivel stick.

What do ya think?

Also, sometimes folks have said that the shower water is plumbed into the black tanks? Can anyone tell from this diagram if this is the case?

PS: not able to post the diagram and thanks Jamie for your response: I'm good now
Old 03-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
A few things to note:
  • The "image" you were trying to attach is a .pdf file--those don't attach as images
  • If that PDF is a Thor plumbing diagram..don't publish it (its Thor intellectual material)
  • The best time to drill a hole in the black tank is when you first get it (provided the transporter didn't use it)
  • On all the Axis/Vegas units the shower goes to grey and the bathroom sink goes to black

I had the dealer install a Tornado flush kit on ours before we picked it up (let them drill the hole).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #17

THOR #4548
Thanks so much Jamie. Didn't realize about the intellectual property and thanks for other tidbits of info.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #18

THOR #4548
Even though my bathroom sink is on the passenger side of the rig? The 25.4, just wondering. The diagram is so not complete that I can't tell. It shows the plumbing above the floor but nothing about how it connects to the tanks and such.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask
Even though my bathroom sink is on the passenger side of the rig? The 25.4, just wondering. The diagram is so not complete that I can't tell. It shows the plumbing above the floor but nothing about how it connects to the tanks and such.
Ah yeah it is across the coach. It has been a general rule for Thor's motorhomes that the bathroom sink does go to the black tank.

On our 24.1 the bathroom sink does go to the black--for which the plumbing goes under the shower pan and into the black tank at the vent (if I remember the drawing correctly). The kitchen sink, however, is clear across the coach (like your bathroom sink is) from the grey tank (on the 24.1 both the black and grey tanks are right next to each other under the slide). The drain from the kitchen sink, indeed runs clear across the coach to get to the grey tank.

Having said all that...you'll have to verify where it goes once you get the coach LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote