Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2017, 04:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Water Heater Bypass System

Those of you who have a Thor Freedom Elite, Class C, specifically the 30FE, have you looked or do you know where the "water heater bypass" is located? A

Old 03-01-2017, 04:58 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Usually the bypas valves and plumbing are on the back of the water heater, otherwise, it would be a plumbing nightmare to find where the three valves are located.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
X2 on behind the water heater. In most of the campers I've had over the years, I had to remove a panel in order to access the bypass valves.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

THOR #6012
water heater bypass valve

If you have a Thor Freedom Elite 30FE with a Atwood water heater, model GC6AA-10E, here is what I have discovered. There is no water heater bypass valve, at least I could not find one and there is no mention of it in my owner's manual. Also, there is no anode rod to replace as required. Per manual found on line:

"This heater has a comparable, if not superior, anode type protection for the tank. The tank is manufactured with a clad aluminum lining that protects against corrosion but does not need to be replaced yearly as an anode rod."
Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #5

THOR #6012
water heater bypass, Freedom Elite 30FE

Egg on my face. Looked other places other than the obvious for the water heater bypass. "It is located behind the water heater as I have been told." Since the water heater is on my slide out, I looked under the sink and to the left was a panel with two screws. Removed screws and panel and there were the three bypass valves. Small area to reach into to turn the valves. Scratched my hand and head but survived.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
Egg on my face. Looked other places other than the obvious for the water heater bypass. "It is located behind the water heater as I have been told." Since the water heater is on my slide out, I looked under the sink and to the left was a panel with two screws. Removed screws and panel and there were the three bypass valves. Small area to reach into to turn the valves. Scratched my hand and head but survived.
My Mirada had 1 valve to turn. Why do you need three?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Many have 3. One each to close the hot and cold lines to the tank and one on a pipe that connects the two lines that must be opened to permit cold water to flow into the hot lines thus isolating and bypassing the water heater entirely. Not sure why they build them that way though it’s certainly logical and simple.