Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2019, 12:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29 Fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #7532
water pump

I have been told I need to replace my water pump because my fresh water tank was been filled while I was on city water connection. or I have a checked value that was not working correctly, couple of questions 1. how do I get to my water pump if it is under my couch 2. is the checked value on the water pump?

Old 05-01-2019, 02:41 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
My water pump is right under the couch in our Axis 25.2. I use the metal table post to hold the couch up when I work underneath. I use a flashlight/headlamp to see what I'm doing.
1. Turn off/unhook the city water
2. Turn off the water from the fresh water tank
3. Open a faucet to drain the pressure
4. Disconnect the in flow and out flow connections at the pump. They should only be finger tight.
5. Unscrew the 4 screws holding the pump to the floor
6. Reverse procedure to install the new pump.
7. Turn any water on slowly as you check for leaks

It's very easy and should only take 30 minutes.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
FYI the “check valve” or backflow preventer is usually built inside the water pump. Sometimes this check valve will stick open (debris in the valve) and allow the shore (city) water back through the water pump which fills your fresh water tank to overflow. You can try to reset this water pump check valve by shutting off shore water and use your water pump again for a while. Then shut off the water pump and go back onto shore water again.......monitor the fill level on your fresh water tank to see if it is filling from shore water again. Sometimes this clears the problem which can be just some small debris caught in the check valve inside the water pump. If this does not work, then you can either replace the water pump, which is expensive, or you can install a stand alone check valve taking care to install it in the direction of water flow shown on the side of the check valve (water flows from FWtank to the pump; towards the taps in the coach). It helps to have a little RV plumbing experience though. If you do not feel confident doing RV plumbing you may want to have a RV tech do the work. I am attaching a Home Depot link to a Camco check valve (if my link works) but you can find them on Amazon also. They are a cheaper solution as an alternative.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-1-...3303/204220179
Old 05-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yeah, I seriously doubt you need a new pump.... prob just some trash in the valve.
I do like the idea of just adding a separate check valve on the discharge side of the pump though...belt and suspenders approach...because even if you clean it/fix it, it happened once so might happen again....
Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I upgraded my OEM pump within a year of buying my ACE (bought in Fall 2012) and I also added the check valve at that time as cheap insurance. I actually installed by check valve between the pump filter and the pump because I had flex lines that easily incorporated the valve plumbing change; but it probably does not matter if its on the inlet or outlet side of the pump. At least I have not had any backflow FWTank fills since owning the 2013.....but there is always a first time of course.