Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maine
THOR #13246
Propane level

How does the monitoring panel on my 2017 AXIS know what the propane level is? More to the point, is the sensor in the tank a liquid level gauge or a pressure gauge. Many may know that a pressure gauge is useless on propane. Vapor pressure stays at the same level until the liquid is gone and then the pressure plummets with use. Thanks, kevin

Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm waiting to see the answer... and for the gauge on mine starts to drop! We've had the rig for over a year, and it still reads "Full".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
There is a float inside the tank and there is a small magnet in the top of the unit that is attached to the tank. The gauge actually screws into the top of this and reads the level from the magnet.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
In the non tech days we poured a cup of warm water on outside of the tank. you will see the liquid line.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
On our bulk storage tank we had a lever with a small petcock in the center. You opened the petcock and turned the lever until liquid came out and you could determine your tank level. Also had that setup on one of our tankers.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
In the non tech days we poured a cup of warm water on outside of the tank. you will see the liquid line.
I thought that Bob Denman was the only one that makes me smile. But you beat him this time. If this method is not old school, then I don't know what is.

On my external portable propane tanks, I just cook until the fire goes out. If it will not re-light, then I assume it is empty and swap the tank. Even though I have two spares at all times, I can't wait to try this. I don't need no stinky gauges"
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I bow to a True Professional...
Old 10-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
How does the monitoring panel on my 2017 AXIS know what the propane level is? More to the point, is the sensor in the tank a liquid level gauge or a pressure gauge. Many may know that a pressure gauge is useless on propane. Vapor pressure stays at the same level until the liquid is gone and then the pressure plummets with use. Thanks, kevin
It magic. LOL. They are off some. My gauge will show FULL inside but like 65 % on the tank gauge.

But a full propane tank is like at like 75 or 80% to allow room for expansion at higher temps.

I always refill once it gets to about quarter tank.... I dont want to run out when I might need it the most.

If I was going on a long trip (esp when cold at night) I would top off tank no matter what the level shows.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I don't need no stinky gauges"
"Gauges, we dont need no stinking gauges".

Reminds me of an old movie. LOL

Treasures of the Sierra Madre with Humphry Bogart. Great movie.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yes!!

Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Just don't try checking the level like this...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1539382087
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Die Hard.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	13476  
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #12

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm waiting to see the answer... and for the gauge on mine starts to drop! We've had the rig for over a year, and it still reads "Full".
GAUGES? We don't need no stinking gauges!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #13

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Just don't try checking the level like this...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1539382087
Hans? You keep eating burritos before we go treasure huntin, I'm gonna turn this lighter into a Flamethrower, you hear me Hans?
Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #14

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Hans? You keep eating burritos before we go treasure huntin, I'm gonna turn this lighter into a Flamethrower, you hear me Hans?
BTW Hans. What do they do for fun around here after they roll up the sidewalks at midnight?
Old 10-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
On my external portable propane tanks, I just cook until the fire goes out.
I pick it up and wiggle it. You can tell by the weight, and can feel it as it sloshed back and forth. After a while you get pretty good at guageing it.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Well in the old days we used the warm water poured on the tank side, didn't work well in winter. Then there was also the Parakeet in a cage method, PETA didn't like that very much so I have switched to the "Mother-in-law Propane/Methane" gage. My dear mother-in-law is a huge gas bag and shoots fireballs from her nether region when gas is present so the slower the fireballs come the closer the tank is to empty. I created a chart so I can count the fireballs and know exactly how much propane is in the tank. If I vary her diet I get a multitude of colors. She's not affected by weather, opinions, facts, common sense or any manner of coaxing so it's a very accurate read.

CONS: This is however the most expensive method of tank level indication. You must feed, clothe, house, hear and pretend you are interested in her all the time and she just won't go away.

PROS: The kids in all the camping spots love the fireworks display.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #17

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Illinois
THOR #13214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
GAUGES? We don't need no stinking gauges!
I have always just used the hot water guage
Old 10-21-2018, 01:37 AM   #18

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Well in the old days we used the warm water poured on the tank side, didn't work well in winter. Then there was also the Parakeet in a cage method, PETA didn't like that very much so I have switched to the "Mother-in-law Propane/Methane" gage. My dear mother-in-law is a huge gas bag and shoots fireballs from her nether region when gas is present so the slower the fireballs come the closer the tank is to empty. I created a chart so I can count the fireballs and know exactly how much propane is in the tank. If I vary her diet I get a multitude of colors. She's not affected by weather, opinions, facts, common sense or any manner of coaxing so it's a very accurate read.

CONS: This is however the most expensive method of tank level indication. You must feed, clothe, house, hear and pretend you are interested in her all the time and she just won't go away.

PROS: The kids in all the camping spots love the fireworks display.
In your case, you might need some stinky gauges....
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:02 AM   #19

Model: 2016 Axis 24.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #5816
I tried a AP Products propane tank gauge:

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0.../dp/B01C5RQJHS

It a wireless gauge so you can monitor it on your phone. I seems to work better than the LED panel, but it doesn't show each percent it jumps a few percent at a time. I only tested it a bit and used it on one trip so far.

I like it but it uses magnets to mount to the bottom of the tank. My propane tank compartment is open on the bottom and I didn't feel safe driving with it stuck on the tank like that. I was worried if I hit bump and might drop off on the road and be gone. I might come up with a safety mechanism. Until then I'll take if off while traveling.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:17 AM   #20

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 500 View Post
There is a float inside the tank and there is a small magnet in the top of the unit that is attached to the tank. The gauge actually screws into the top of this and reads the level from the magnet.
to add to this there is actually a "gas gauge" (no pun intended) on the tank that shows E to F. there is a small potentiometer attached to the needle that varies resistance to the inside digital gauge.