Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2016, 07:45 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
In the black streak article I think the whole neglect push is to make you feel guilty to buy what they are selling. Two days after I waxed the Mobile Penthouse we had a drizzle. Day after the rain -- black streaks on the newly waxed side walls. What ever contaminent is on your roof -- dust, pollen, smoke or car exhaust residue -- when you get rain, dew, or your A/C condensation runoff -- you are going to get the streaks. What about rain gutters? Or thoses corner thingies? All that stuff is just like the relationship of novocane to tooth pain -- it simply postponed it. I can guarantee if you bought a coach direct from the factory -- spent every day waxing it -- after 2 days of rain you'll have black streaks. Periodic wsxing ensured the streaks are on top of the wax coat making them pretty easy to remove.

Now here is where neglect does play a roll -- if you don,'t wax periodically then those streaks will become a natural paint job.

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Ed,

I see a future paint scheme for the lazy RV owner, Vertical Zebra stripes!!!

The weatherman is forecasting a nice couple of days, so today will be cleaning out all storage bays and the interior then Friday on to the exterior!!!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #23

State: Washington
THOR #1081
waxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Ed,

I see a future paint scheme for the lazy RV owner, Vertical Zebra stripes!!!

The weatherman is forecasting a nice couple of days, so today will be cleaning out all storage bays and the interior then Friday on to the exterior!!!

Doc
I spoke to the Thor rep at a recent RV show and asked him for his recommendation on waxing products, frequency etc. His response; if he had a unit that he planned to keep for a loooong time he would spend the money and have the entire unit clear coated. He said that would take care of it and greatly reduce the amount of care needed. However the expected $2k bill is a bit of a roadblock. But it makes sense to me.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #24

THOR #2601
I had a neighbor once who had an RV garage added to his house. He had an Allegro that I swear he only used two or three weeks a year. It always looked pristine when he pulled it out of the garage.

He had it sitting in his driveway one day and was in his basement doing some work when a 30 minute storm dumped a load of water on his baby. When it stopped raining and the sun came out imagine his surprise when he saw black streaks on the Allegro's sides.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #25

THOR #2142
Ed,

$2K, not sure the disease is worth the cure!! But, after a couple of RV seasons if this will be our keeper...might be worth the investment.

Doc

Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #26

THOR #2601
If I had money to burn -- I'd clear coat in minute. I heard dentists are to their bicuspids in extra loot.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:49 PM   #27

THOR #2142
ED,

Just the big city Dentist...and only up to their lower bicuspids!

We are thinking of doing the Tire Pressure Monitoring and a 5Star tune up for this year's big upgrade. But I will start shoping the idea of a Clearcoat (and TOAD set up expenses) once we are sure this is our keeper RV.

BTW: I have put about 1000 mile on our new future TOAD (Kia Soul, 6 speed Manual trans) and it has preformed well. It has a TPMS but as of yet I have not find anyone with the know how to tap into it and run it into the Vegas to monitor the toad. I have seen the TPMS can handle 10 tires with additional sending units (and something about getting the correct alloy to put on the TOAD's tires).

Again I want to thank you and the other's here that have helped make this newbies' Rookie year a safe one and quite a learning experience (still a bit "shocked" with the BIRD and Trombetta saga).

Doc