Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2016, 12:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Waxed the Vegas

Well spent the day getting the Vegas ready for the camping season.

I cleaned the inside, dusted every surface, stocked the bedroom overhead cabinets with fresh towels and wash cloths, scoured the shower, cleaned the toilet, and scrubbed the floors.

After interior cleaning I sanitized the fresh water system. That included sanitizing the white fresh water hose, and sanitizing the pressure regulator.

I then washed the outside with Dawn kitchen detergent. After washing I waxed the exterior with IBIS Anything Wax. My wife had bought me an IBIS detailing kit at the Base Exchange at Carlisle Barracks in PA. Their wax did a great job on the car so I decided to use it on the Vegas. It took all the black streaks and bug splatters off the exterior surfaces. The thing I like about this wax is you apply it to small sections and buff it out while the wax is wet (no letting it dry to a haze. Here is a website to the manufacturer: IBIZ World Class Wax.

One thing I learned waxing the Vegas -- it has a hell-uv-a lot of surface. Took 4 hours to wax it -- but I'm 72 and move kind of slow, especially on the step ladder.

Here's a picture of the finished product:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas waxed.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1438  

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Nice job! That should stand inspection now
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:19 AM   #3

Brand: DRV
Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
Nice,I hope I can do that when I am 72.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:59 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I thought camping season was year round in Florida it sure isn't in Illinois.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:45 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #2788
Good job Ed. Cleaned the inside from top to bottom this week, checked batteries, sprayed 2 coats of slider lubricant on slider brackets, opened and checked all windows for any signs of leaks, ran exhaust vents, and checked all vent and a/c cover up on roof, checked and lubricated tv attenna. I'm waiting for this weekend here in Seattle, Wa. to try and wash and wax outside. After that is to run monthly generator, put on load from microwave, a/c, frig, to make sure they are all working. Your not kinding it's alot of area to cover. Last year I think I use a whole can of Mothers wax on our 24 footer 1 1/2 days to complete ( just like the Navy wax on wax off). It's still beading up so I will just use light coat this year. Getting ready for to hit the road secound weekend in March for a long weekend.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #3617
How do you like the Vegas? My wife and I are looking at them or the Ace and would appreciate any info or experience you can share.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk8103
How do you like the Vegas? My wife and I are looking at them or the Ace and would appreciate any info or experience you can share.
You'll find many Axis/Vegas owners on here; a large portion of them are very happy with their units (Axis and Vegas campers are pretty much identical).
Are you interested in a specific floorplan (there are enough of us on here that you'll find someone that owns the floorplan that you are interested in).

In our case we are very happy with our Axis.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #8

THOR #2601
Steve:

My wife and I love out Vegas. We have 5000 miles on it after buying it this past Aug. We've camped about 40 nights in it.

We are both retired. I'm 72 and she is 70. We take our 15 lb Teddy Bear breed dog with us. We find it is the perfect size for us. When we camp we like to be outdoors so we don't spend a lot of time in the RV just watching TV.

The shower in the 24.1 is really tiny. But after 40 nights of showering twice a day we've gotten to the point that its size doesn't bother us any more. We like the twin bed configuration in the 24.1. We find the mattresses to be very comfortable (we both like hard mattresses) even without any topper. One of the first thing I noticed about the Vegas 24.1 was its storage capacity. I'm rather amazed at the amount of storage space in the interior cabinets. The outside storage accommodates the chairs, table, gar grill, ground cover, etc. that we carry with us. We like the double folding door on the bath and the dressing area it provides. We are very careful with the two latches though so they don't crack or break. We do not use the table that goes in front of the couch. We find it takes up too much space in the kitchen and impedes movement in the coach. We find the table that fits between the two captain chairs is more than adequate for coffee or even the meals we eat inside. We ordered it with the optional 15K airconditioning, and my wife is able to get the temp down to meat locker levels even here in Florida. It handles great and we've driven it in cities with no problems. It's size is perfect in congested driving.

We've had very few quality control issues. Our dealer has been great and support from Thor has been outstanding. Our biggest issue was a stress crack in the windshield; but, Thor sent a new windshield to the dealer to replace under warranty.

Your post said you are comparing Vegas/Axis and the Ace. The Ace is much larger and gives you all the bells and whistles, to include size, that you'd expect in a Class A. But we are minimalists, and the Vegas fits our needs and life style perfectly.

One piece of advice regardless of what model or manufacturer you might buy. Research the dealership SERVICE carefully. Even though you might find a dealer with a great price, you are going to find that service after the sale is what really matters. There are threads on this forum of owners having their RVs in the dealership for MONTHS waiting to have work performed on their RV.

If you decide on the Vegas or Axis, send me an email at bevedfelker@live.com and I'll send you an Owners' manual and set of checklists I compiled and developed to augment the rather generic manual that Thor provides. And of course, any questions you have the answer is readily available from any of the great folks you'll find here on this forum.

Here is another picture taken in the Hershey Park Campground when we were up in PA this past Sep for the Hershey RV show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hersgey Park Campground.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1440  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 03-01-2016, 12:11 AM   #9

Model: Sprinter Citation 24ST
State: New Mexico
THOR #2420
Hi Ed, I'll be dewinterizing the Citation soon and will look into IBIZ products. Recovering from knee replacement surgery so it will be awhile but am looking forward to getting back on the road.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:41 AM   #10

THOR #2601
Gary -- go easy on that knee. It took me a little over 4 hours to wax the Vegas. It was a knee-killer job. All the bending and up and down the ladder. Took me three days of Aleve for the knee aches and pains to go away. Killed my knees with all the running while I was in the AF.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 03-01-2016, 12:52 AM   #11

Model: Miramar
State: Kentucky
THOR #1533
Gary I agree with bevedfelker....be careful with that knee. Had one knee replaced in 2007, other in 2008. They are fine now but I know what that feels like. Rehab does take time. Don't over do it. Be safe and happy motoring. (and waxing)
2014 Miramar 34.2
Rineyville, KY (Fort Knox)
Bob n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #12

Model: Sprinter Citation 24ST
State: New Mexico
THOR #2420
Waxed the Vegas

Thanks for the advice. Been through it once on the right knee. Surgery was last Monday, drove for the first time tonight. Won't be waxing for awhile.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All,

Time to shine the Vegas up. I see that Dawn detergent, IBIZ are identified as good products to use.

Now for the Newbie Questions:
I have a power pressure washer, if used on low pressure any reason not to use it? Any product to use in it?

Also, what kind of Lubricant for the Slider gears?

What kind of tire protection or tire gloss to use (and not use)? Somewhere I remember reading not to use Armor All; maybe that was on the inside dash?????

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #14

THOR #2601
I would not use the power washer. Best equipment is 6 ft ladder, rag, and bucket.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 03-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #15

THOR #2142
Ed,

Thanks for the recommendation. Any thoughts on the tires?

BTW: Any idea of what causes the black streaks? The roof is made of white stuff and the paint job is mostly shades of brown. There is no real rhyme or reason as to where the streaks occur, some near the edges of windows but some just there.

Doc

Old 03-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I do not endorse the product in any way and have not tried it, however, here is a good explanation on "Black Streaks". One thing I will point out is the article is correct in that all one has to do is look at white rain gutters on a house and you will see black streaks galore.

Combating Black Streaks Article - Protect All
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
For the dashboard, tires etc... I use Aerospace 303 Protectant. When I had my Class C I had seen somewhere that Aerospace 303 was the only protectant recommended by Michelin for their tires. I have not, however, been able to locate that article again.

There are a few different variations of 303 so you have to get the right stuff. The last time I asked DW to pick up a bottle while she was running errands she came back with the 303 Speed Detailer instead of the Protectant. I soon realized her mistake was intentional because the combination of the speed detailer my energy worked great on her Fusion.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #18

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I second that on the Aerospace 303 Protectant. Been using it for years on tires and outside exposed rubber and plastic and have never had any cracks etc. It is well known in the boating world also.

Also, I use a 6 or 7 foot ext. brush to wash the Vegas. Use a ladder to apply the 303 to awnings only. Much easier for old geezer like me than climbing up and down many times.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #19

THOR #2142
Looks like I have my shopping cut out for me.

Thanks for the article on "Black Streaks".

Doc

Old 03-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #20

State: Washington
THOR #1081
2015 Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk8103 View Post

Thanks,
Steve
My wife and I love our Axis, 10,000 miles and about 75 days of use. We have been to two RV shows and have yet to see anything we would trade it for. It is perfect for the two of us. I love the size; big enough to accommodate all our needs comfortably yet easy to manouever in cities and traffic. I think we have all the warranty issues sorted, all minor in nature. Can't wait for May when we get to hit the road.