Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: Georgia
THOR #12330
We did it- 1st mom and son RV trip complete!

I just wanted to give an update. I got the new-to-me 2018 Thor Four Winds 28Z and with lots of help from this forum, my 14 yo son and I took it to DC. We didn't even make it out of the driveway before having our first problem. One of the inner real wheel tire stems broke and of course it was in the evening so no help until morning. Finally found a place that could fix it but not until later in the morning.

So we got a late start- lots of local traffic- then once we were well underway the rain started- I pulled over because it was hard to see - I walked around the inside just looking at stuff. And guess what I found in the bathroom? Water coming in the vent- the cover had come off. I didn't check it before we left because I hadn't opened it Lesson learned- check it anyway!!!! We found a Walmart in a kinda sketchy area and got some items to try and patch it (sadly this Walmart did not sell RV vent covers).

I was going to continue driving but the rain got too bad for me to see well. We pulled over in the 1st rest stop in Virginia- which was very nice. We waited for the rain to stop but it didn't so we slept for a few hours. The first CW we stopped at wasn't opened so we drove closer to our campground (Cherry Hill) but a little out of the way to another CW. It was a nice CW but they weren't familiar with the covers. The first one I bought was the wrong one- picture me on the roof in the rain trying to do this- I definitely was not a happy camper at this point. Eventually got the right cover and got it on. And off we went to Cherry Hill RV park.

Cherry Hill park is great! We used public transportation to get around. We saw and did so much together. It was a great time for my son and I. Well--- until we took a night tour and I fell down (no alcohol was involved) and dislocated my finger- holy cow- I had to pop it back in myself. OUCH! Finished the tour and then made a temporary splint out of plastic utensils and utility tape......lolololol… seriously I am not making this up. Oh did I mention I fell into a pool of water? Like not a puddle - I was completely submerged iPhone, apple watch and all. Good news- phone and watch still work YAY!!!! My ear buds however did not make it.

We made it home without incident. MY finger is swollen and bruised. I hope to get it looked at tomorrow and see if it's fractured or not.

My son and I definitely learned a lot. He learned that camping is a good bit of work and a lot of fun. The RV drove well. We are looking forward to more RV time together.

Thanks to everyone who contributes o the forum because every little bit helps. And a special thank you to Gritz Carlton for going above and beyond in helping a fellow RVer!! Awesome is an understatement to describe him for all the help he has given me- I am very thankful that I found this forum.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:17 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
So glad you had a mostly successful trip. We have been RVing for more than 20 years with our kids and now our grand kids. We started when they were 9-13. The time you are spending with your son will be worth way more than all the money you spend on the MH, or even the time you spend fixing and maintaining it. Three RV's and 21 years later, I would not have done it any differently. Your son will always remember this as the best time of his life, and if he's like our three, will never stop talking about all the trips we have taken and how much fun they had and how much they learned.
Mike and Vicki

PS. Lost a vent cover on our very first trip!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Just wait: In a few years that story will just get better and better ! LOL

All in all sounds like a decent first trip. Just remember "it could be worse" LOL and will likely get better.

Cherry Hill Park really is the greatest. You could have asked them about a local doctor or even for a splint. The office staff there are prepared for just about anything.

Even better: In a couple of years your son can also help out with the driving.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
With your great attitude and repair skills. Mom & 14yr old Son. Going into DC with a motorhome on first trip. You deserve a Thor Forums A+ for that first outing! Your next trip will be a cake walk. Great story.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Other than the finger : it sounds as if it was a really nice learning experience!
Congratulations, and I hope that your next trip goes even better!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Your story will only get better with time!!! You had a trying first trip but made it home safe with some good memories, glad you did it! Keep on having FUN!!!
Old 10-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It isn't where you're going but how you get there. The time with kids today is priceless. Good trip, you planned very well for it and you grabbed the bull by the horns and slammed him!! Next big adventure???
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well I bet your next trip goes smoother. I hope your finger gets better soon.

So with your Forum name..... I take it your a Tea Drinker? LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

THOR #12330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I bet your next trip goes smoother. I hope your finger gets better soon.

So with your Forum name..... I take it your a Tea Drinker? LOL.

Uh- no.... I made sure I have a coffee maker dedicated just to the RV.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #10

THOR #12330
Thanks for the replies.

Like JamieGeek stated- Cherry Hill Park is great. Our tour bus got us back really late and I didn't want to bother the staff with something I could take care of myself. Thankfully I did not need to see a doctor there. I saw one here yesterday and I am now sporting a lovely splint in basic black. This is a small injury compared to what-could-have-happened so I am very thankful this is it. Fortunately my ligaments are strong- torn right now but should heal.

I am not sure when or where we will go next. I do feel lots better having a trip under our belt.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
While the finger is getting healed back up: it's time to start checking out new destinations, and road maps!

Heal quickly!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote