Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #8819
Axis 24.1 Shower

Hello all!
We recently went on our first rv shopping trip to find a Class C and our salesman also introduced us to the 2018 Axis 24.1. My main question...my husband's main complaint is that the shower is too small. Is it possible for a 6'1" 300 lb man to shower in there without cursing his wife every time for wanting an Axis??

I'm stuck on the Axis because of the awesome view out of the front window compared to Class C's while at the same time still a much smaller rv than a traditional Class A. My husband stumbled onto the ACE 27.2 online as a compromise but it just looks too big to me.

I looked at the other Axis floorplans that still have the living room slideout (a must) and while the 25.4 has a bigger shower and more traditional bed, it has the dinette and we want a sofa. Is it maybe possible to switch out the dinette with a sofa after the fact?

I know nothing is ever 100% perfect so we're trying to explore all options. I thought some outside opinions would be helpful. Thank you in advance for listening!!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
We have a Windsport 29M, I'm 6' 2" and 260 lbs, the shower is just barely big enough for me! Shower in an Axis was to small for me, I stepped inside of one to see.

An ACE is really not that much bigger, a little taller, about the same length, it has a conventional bed, and a bigger shower. Find an ACE to go and see the inside of, I'm betting you will love the extra room. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The step up to the F-53 does make the ACE feel a lot bigger than it is--any step up from the E-Series chassis to the F-53 will make the F-53 unit feel a lot bigger (even if its a similar floor plan).

Take a look at the new 25.5 floor plan: You get the couch slide like in the 24.1 but a slightly bigger bathroom in the rear. The main drawback of this floorplan is that if you have more than 2 people and the person(s) up front need to use the restroom in the middle of the night they are climbing over the people on the bed (or walking past them if its used as 2 twins).

Or you could look at the 25.2 or 25.3 with the traditional beds in a slideout and a couch.

For us: I'm 5'10" 230lbs and find the shower a bit tight but not completely unusable. Our teenage son absolutely hates the shower LOL and he is only 5'8" or so and barely 100lbs. Putting in the ARC shower curtain rod really helped with making it a little more roomy (the newer units already have that).

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis/floor-plans/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We have a 2015 24.1. The shower is small, but after a while we got used to it. My wife removed the shower curtain (too heavy) and replaced the liner with one that was not so heavy and stiff. It just takes some getting used to.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
I Got A Thor Chateau Class C and love the roomy shower
Old 08-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
When we were shopping for a new RV this spring we found and loved the Axis 24.1, until I stood in the shower. Everything is a compromise, but sometimes compromises are deal breakers (as in this case). at 5'7" and 195 lbs that shower was a deal breaker. We kept looking and found a 2016 ACE 27.1 with 2300 miles on it and went that way. Besides the shower, there are other "upgrades" in the ACE (like hydraulic levelers) that made it a better value for us. We're glad we made this choice.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #7

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
I Got A Thor Chateau Class C and love the roomy shower
I also have a Chateau. I could fit myself and my wife in there if we had more water pressure. I'm 5'8" 170 and she's 5'2" 120 for what that's worth. Showers are decent sized.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #8

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The step up to the F-53 does make the ACE feel a lot bigger than it is--any step up from the E-Series chassis to the F-53 will make the F-53 unit feel a lot bigger (even if its a similar floor plan).

Take a look at the new 25.5 floor plan: You get the couch slide like in the 24.1 but a slightly bigger bathroom in the rear. The main drawback of this floorplan is that if you have more than 2 people and the person(s) up front need to use the restroom in the middle of the night they are climbing over the people on the bed (or walking past them if its used as 2 twins).

Or you could look at the 25.2 or 25.3 with the traditional beds in a slideout and a couch.

For us: I'm 5'10" 230lbs and find the shower a bit tight but not completely unusable. Our teenage son absolutely hates the shower LOL and he is only 5'8" or so and barely 100lbs. Putting in the ARC shower curtain rod really helped with making it a little more roomy (the newer units already have that).

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis/floor-plans/
The F53 is also 8" wider (102 vs 94" for the E350/450). 8" over 30' is 20 extra square feet without adding the extra square feet you get going from 25-30' in length. I'm 6' and 185 and I do not have a problem with the new arc shower curtain in the 24.1. My wife and I spent over 4 months in it from Florida to Alaska and back and we did just fine. No right answer here. Just what works for you.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

THOR #8819
Thank you all SO much for your helpful replies everyone! We were eclipse camping (in our popup) over the weekend otherwise I would have thanked you sooner!

You gave me many good things to mull over. I think where we stand right now is that the shower in the Axis is too small for my hubby. And since I currently help with half of the driving across the country each summer, we need something that I feel comfortable driving and the size of the ACE will make me too stressed.

We've fallen in love with a Winnebago Navion 24J...just not in love with the price tag lol! So we're going to see if patience might pay off to snag a used one. In the meantime we still have our popup of 7 years, we're just a bit tired of the setup/takedown!

Thank you again for taking the time to offer up your helpful advice!!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
[QUOTE=michlang92;84687]Thank you all SO much for your helpful replies

You gave me many good things to mull over. QUOTE]

It appears you have MUCH food for thought. We have a 2016 Axis 24.1 which we LOVE ! .. I like the shower..and have learned to use it..it is a nifty trick !
...I am 5'8" and not extremely slim ! ha !
Ron, on the other hand..5'10 and slim...only uses the shower when he must...ie, bad weather or dry camping.
He prefers to make the walk to campground showers ! He enjoys the walk and always finds someone to visit with on the round trip ! So there ya go.

As others have said...you have so many options...take your time...know that during the winter, there are many RV Shows in every region of the States...we have fun going, even tho we are not in the market for a new unit.

HAVE FUN ... and enjoy the journey !

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! If you think the Axis is cramped, you will suffocate in the Navion!

We like the Iowa made Winnebagos, and looked hard at the Navion, and the Travato. But for the price, Vegas/Axis gives you so much more storage, inside and out, and more interior room. The smaller rigs had too many sacrifices for us, and we found we didn't need a big coach. Forget anything with a corner bed!

We wanted a walk around queen bed, and traded our 33' Class A for our Vegas 25.2, and have been happy with the layout. Great for us and the way we travel!
Old 08-24-2017, 02:30 AM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3027
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlang92 View Post
Hello all!
We recently went on our first rv shopping trip to find a Class C and our salesman also introduced us to the 2018 Axis 24.1. My main question...my husband's main complaint is that the shower is too small. Is it possible for a 6'1" 300 lb man to shower in there without cursing his wife every time for wanting an Axis??

I'm stuck on the Axis because of the awesome view out of the front window compared to Class C's while at the same time still a much smaller rv than a traditional Class A. My husband stumbled onto the ACE 27.2 online as a compromise but it just looks too big to me.

I looked at the other Axis floorplans that still have the living room slideout (a must) and while the 25.4 has a bigger shower and more traditional bed, it has the dinette and we want a sofa. Is it maybe possible to switch out the dinette with a sofa after the fact?

I know nothing is ever 100% perfect so we're trying to explore all options. I thought some outside opinions would be helpful. Thank you in advance for listening!!
I have a 2017 Axis 24.1. I am 6'3", 280 lbs and have showered for 1.5 years and 23,000 miles of travel. It is tight and I dont turn around and use RV Park showers whenever possible but it works for me.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Go check out the Axis/Vegas 25.2. It has a big shower.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
25.3 also
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlang92 View Post
Hello all!

im 6'4" 23o lbs and show works for me...we got the 24.1 because of the large king size bed in the back. Love the Vegas!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:14 AM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Try a Thor chateau very easy to drive I got the Chevy model
Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Yes he will curse you every time he has to use the shower! We started with the 2016 Axis 24.1. I'm 5'11" and 200. While I liked the size of the bathroom when the doors opened out, I hated the shower. I hated having a shower curtain sticking to my rear end [emoji34]. I started using a pool noodle to hold the curtain further out about waste height. That helped a lot but still not big enough. Since there are three adults in our family we soon decided bigger is much better and went with the Hurricane 34J. Big shower and much more room. It also drives much better. For what it's worth...Have fun!