Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
What has more problems Class A or Class C

After reviewing all these threads the horrific problems that people have they seem to trend to Class A. Either that or Class C owners do not document all their problems. Every RV has their issues but I was wondering if Class A has more problems than Class C. Maybe there are more things that can wrong on Class A than Class C.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I think probably Class A units have more opportunity for error because the entire box is built from the frame up. Class C units have the enclosed cab already so far less chance of windshield leaks, etc. After that, they are probably pretty close in error rate.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: California
THOR #9748
I would think you have to break down the systems to find differences. For example all the water heaters are basically the same with only 2 manufactures. So is there is difference, not really.

Many of the complaints are from new owners reporting bad workmanship which can happen with either coach.

Maybe you should consider the ability to get the coach fixed. For this I might guess the Class Cs are more prevalent so engine, drive train may be fixed by many.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
I would think you have to break down the systems to find differences. For example all the water heaters are basically the same with only 2 manufactures. So is there is difference, not really.

Many of the complaints are from new owners reporting bad workmanship which can happen with either coach.

Maybe you should consider the ability to get the coach fixed. For this I might guess the Class Cs are more prevalent so engine, drive train may be fixed by many.
In either case, however, the engine and drive train are rarely the issue--its all the stuff the RV manufacturer does; not the OEM (Ford in most cases).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yeah, I'd say A for the reasons jpmihalk listed...except that the rest of it is, I think exactly equal....
IF, were talking about the smaller A's built on E-series chassis or similar.

it's the cab stuff that makes the difference...and most but not all of the frame and drive train.
windshield, all the dash and cab stuff (AC and the rest...), the rear axle/differential, the front frame, suspension, body, etc.... while not perfect is almost infinitely better engineered and more consistently made.

Mine at least was chopped in half to lengthen the wheelbase... which means a longer aftermarket driveshaft and a partially aftermarket frame. modified fuel line from the tank, etc.... I'd stick my neck out to say nothing that Thor did, or that they sourced component wise (water heater, stove, AC, furnace, etc...), can even come close. (except maybe a few of the components such as the LP tank, which are probably good)

Now the larger A's may have an advantage because as far as I know their chassis are less modified... so their only disadvantages would be the windhshield and cab immediate stuff like the dashboard AC, etc... Their entire frames and drivetrains would likely be better
plus.... their chassis are less likely to be overloaded...better suited for the job their given....
Old 08-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: Do the Class A rigs come equipped with passive restraint systems?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #7

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: Do the Class A rigs come equipped with passive restraint systems?
As in?
Yes they do have seat/shoulder belting, and a very few may have limited air bag systems me thinks..
Be a "Defensive Driver" and not worry about the "What If's"
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I should have been clearer...
Do they come equipped with airbags?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:22 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I should have been clearer...
Do they come equipped with airbags?
Bob,

Mine is not. I have not see one with airbags in my travels. Though really, I have not asked specifically for them. Most of the large DP's have mass behind them - so unless you hit a semi, you will not need them as much per se.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks! My Missus was wondering about this, so I figured that I should find out.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"I think probably Class A units have more opportunity for error because"

I'm with John here....most all coach problems are equal between A and C class, as they are very similarly built. The front "truck section" of the A's are built by construction workers (mostly plywood and particle board covered with plastics and vinyl with poor insulation)....the front "truck section" of the C's are built by a commercial truck company that (mostly steel, aluminum and well insulated against noise and heat) builds nothing but commercial truck cab and chassis'. They are delivered to the coach company with everything in place, working and warranted very well. You will hardly ever see a thread here regarding an issue with the unmodified cab of a C Class.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"I think probably Class A units have more opportunity for error because"

I'm with John here....most all coach problems are equal between A and C class, as they are very similarly built. The front "truck section" of the A's are built by construction workers (mostly plywood and particle board covered with plastics and vinyl with poor insulation)....the front "truck section" of the C's are built by a commercial truck company that (mostly steel, aluminum and well insulated against noise and heat) builds nothing but commercial truck cab and chassis'. They are delivered to the coach company with everything in place, working and warranted very well. You will hardly ever see a thread here regarding an issue with the unmodified cab of a C Class.
Ah but you'll frequently find problems with the cab-over piece: leaks, bad wiring, etc. Sometimes the mating between that well manufactured cab and the rest of the coach is the problem.

With an A there is no join... (well ok the Axis/Vegas units have a join between the fiberglass front cap and the rest of the RV and there have been problems with that).

Personally I think its a wash overall: Yes the cab area of a C will be well constructed but it still has to join up with "the rest" and "the rest" is the same quality A, B, B+, or C.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote