Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Instant hot water heater Vegas 24.1

You’re probably tired of this topic, and being a previous poster on the instant hot water heater, I am tired of hearing myself. But...I’ll have one more go about it. I have yet to have a good shower using the hot water heater as it is intended to be used. This is my second water heater (CW messed up the winterization), yet the problem of either all hot or or cold shower persist. Based on advise from forum and calling Girard, I have done the following:

Changed my water pressure valve to an adjustable one set between 45 & 50 PSI.
Set the thermostat to 105, water is warm, but water has little force with just hot water on (wife has trouble rinsing soap out of hair).
Turned the hot water 1/4 way, when hot turned up and added 1/4 way of cold water (turns completely cold)
Turned cold water 1/4 way first, then turned hot on full (Water never gets hot).
Ran with and without water filter at hose with no difference.

I called tech support at Girard, and they suggested lowering heat at thermostat, and running just hot water, but that seems wrong. How do you have a product that doesn’t run as designed? Like a real shower.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Pull off the panel near the fridge that allows you front access to the heater. On the lower left corner of the water heater you'll see a valve. Shut it all the way, open it all the way and settle somewhere in the middle. It's only a half turn or so.
That cured it all, every symptom you have, for us. Water wasn't being held in the heater long enough to stabilize heat. We now use only the hot water shower valve, no cold water. Not a single hiccup since we adjusted that adjustable valve.
It's a 30 second fix.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post

I called tech support at Girard, and they suggested lowering heat at thermostat, and running just hot water, but that seems wrong. How do you have a product that doesn’t run as designed? Like a real shower.

Any suggestions?
Girard is not wrong with their suggestion. This is exactly how we have been using ours for a year now and it has worked flawlessly.... almost... I'll get to that in a moment.

The On Demand Tankless Water Heaters are meant to hold water at as close to a constant temperature as possible. We have our unit set at 105 and NEVER turn on the cold water when taking a shower. Last weekend with summer here and ground water now warmer, the water was actually too hot and I dropped it down to 95 to shower.... and it worked great.

Water pressure is very important for the unit to operate properly. I have a regulator and make sure the pressure is 45 - 55 PSI. If the camp water is not high enough, then I will turn on the pump and use the fresh water tank for showers to have enough pressure. But you can have good pressure at the inlet and other issues in the coach.

You also never want to use water (cold or hot) anywhere else when taking a shower. Don't turn on the kitchen sink, flush a toilet, etc. The pressure will drop with too much water flowing such that the water heater cannot work efficiently.

That is why it works very well when you just use the hot water in the shower. You are getting the best pressure and flow combination. The pressure and plumbing in these coaches isn't like it is in your house.

Now... with all that out of the way.... check the water valve as mentioned above.

Also, you should take off the screen filters on all your faucets (including the shower head) and clean them. I can almost guarantee you will find debris that is restricting water flow. It can be construction debris or also from less than stellar camp water (another reason why I run a water filter outside the rig in addition to the one in the rig. Would also be worth checking the one for the pump on the fresh water tank.

I would also replace the shower head. The ones Thor use are garbage. Replace it with an Oxygenics like this one and you will have much better shower pressure and water flow for the Girard to work efficiently.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shouldn't be rocket science but there is a little fine tuning and checking that should be done. Once I got it all down, the Girard has been great for showers and hot water in general.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I would also replace the shower head. The ones Thor uses are garbage. Replace it with an Oxygenics like this one and you will have much better shower pressure and water flow for the Girard to work efficiently.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Best single 'creature comfort' mod you can make IMHO - and easy to do.
Does a much better job than anything stock in giving a good shower from less than ideal water pressure.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Mine's set at 109
For showers I use hot water only
Works great

If we are doing dishes, I turn up thermostat to maximum

I like the instant hot feature
Works fine in my rig
Old 07-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Same here works perfect! Only Never do dishes. All paper or plastic for 20 yrs. Cleaner & Quieter. Drop trash every gas fill.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:57 AM   #7

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Pull off the panel near the fridge that allows you front access to the heater. On the lower left corner of the water heater you'll see a valve. Shut it all the way, open it all the way and settle somewhere in the middle. It's only a half turn or so.
That cured it all, every symptom you have, for us. Water wasn't being held in the heater long enough to stabilize heat. We now use only the hot water shower valve, no cold water. Not a single hiccup since we adjusted that adjustable valve.
It's a 30 second fix.
I have our valve set all the way open, no issues. It will get up to whatever temp we set it at. I like 103 and DW likes it at 106. All hot water, no cold.

To the OP, when you introduce the cold water, it reduces the water through the water heater. That can lead to the water heater not seeing enough flow and it shuts off. It is best to only use hot water set to the temp you like. The Oxygenics shower head is a nice upgrade.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:13 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Sounds like they have you covered. Try a few things out for yourself. It took me a while to get use to all of the HW nuance in an RV. Sometime I forget then I figure it out when im all wet and cold.

Once I installed the Oxygenic shower head my wife didnt complain about rinsing the shampoo. So put that in your Amazon cart now!

I prime the hot water tank first by using the kitchen sink and filling up a 2 qt pitcher about half way while watching the temp gauge. Once it hits like 110 ,,,,one of us will jump in the shower, bled the shower hose a little bit .... then your good to go.

I will use the pitcher water later (if boon docking) so its not wasted.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #9

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
We've been fulltime for a year now, got advice here about setting temp then use all hot water no mixing. We have fine tuned it and now have it down to 101 for me 115 for wife and max 124 for everything else. It works perfectly now,never a cold or hot SHOT! My question now , is this bad for the heater or controls changing temp 3 times a day 365 days a year? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
We've been fulltime for a year now, got advice here about setting temp then use all hot water no mixing. We have fine tuned it and now have it down to 101 for me 115 for wife and max 124 for everything else. It works perfectl now, never a cold or hot SHOT! My question now , is this bad for the heater or controls changing temp 3 times a day 365 days a year? Thanks.
You may end up having a keypad failure eventually. I have see them online for about $75 and should be easy to change.