Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Idaho
THOR #15465
What use to be here?

Recently purchased a new-to-me Thor Ace 30.2 Class A motorhome. Just came from a 2009 Class C Sunseeker. Love the layout of the 30.2 with bunk beds and cab over bed to sleep my five kids. It is awesome and we love it. I bought it from a dealership who really specializes in boats and just dabbles in newer RV's, so help from them is lacking, at best.

When I brought the coach home, I noticed a hole just behind the door. It is pretty deep and has a couple of screws close as well. Just wondering what it was that was once there and what should be done to close the hole along with the screw holes (that don't appear to be sealed properly either). I tried looking at pictures of other 30.2 models, and it appears that it should not be there.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	17727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1136.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	17728  

Old 05-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #2

THOR #15465
I also have another question - do I have an inverter? See pic below on the control monitor panel the button that is circled. When I push the botton nothing happens. I thought it was a switch for an inverter, but no outlets work when I have it turned on. The best I can tell, nothing happens differently when the switch is on or off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	17729  
Old 05-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
That is the rocker switch to turn on your 110 power for your water heater, either when plugged in to shore power or on your generator. Inverter would most likely be on a separate panel on your coach if you had one.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #14543
I suspect that there might have been a "porch light" where those holes are - two screws to hold the fixture, with wiring coming through the larger hole. With such an unusual position, it was probably added by the previous owner; I can't imagine the manufacturer putting one there. If that was the case, I also suspect it may have gotten damaged by the door (it was on the hinge side of the door) and what was left of it was removed.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #5

THOR #15465
Thanks for the information you guys. I thought about some sort of porch light as well, but why was it removed, unless it broke off I guess?

What would be the best way to fill it? Just some dicor you think. I would worry about it settling though. I guess I could put a light there too, if it does not interfere with a door closing.

Thanks for the clarification of the switch on the panel. I didn't know it was for that. So if there is a switch for propane AND 110V, which one takes precedent if both are switched to "on?"

Caleb
Old 05-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoomin View Post
Thanks for the information you guys. I thought about some sort of porch light as well, but why was it removed, unless it broke off I guess?

What would be the best way to fill it? Just some dicor you think. I would worry about it settling though. I guess I could put a light there too, if it does not interfere with a door closing.

Thanks for the clarification of the switch on the panel. I didn't know it was for that. So if there is a switch for propane AND 110V, which one takes precedent if both are switched to "on?"

Caleb
When both switches are on both work--it just heats up the water a little bit faster. We turn both on when hot water is in high demand.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
One other thought about the water heater is that when it is on propane, you pay for the hot water versus when it is on electric, the campground picks up the bill. So we leave ours on when in the CG! Hot water always there, ready to go!
Old 05-29-2019, 08:28 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
I have a similar rig (2018 Hurricane 29m) with this same panel. Others have answered your question on the hot water heater switch.

You asked about an inverter. Mine is in the electronic area under the bed. Control for inverter is on the wall just above the main thermostat. ( See attached picture)

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	17731
Old 05-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #9

THOR #15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.irwin.59@gmail.com View Post
I have a similar rig (2018 Hurricane 29m) with this same panel. Others have answered your question on the hot water heater switch.

You asked about an inverter. Mine is in the electronic area under the bed. Control for inverter is on the wall just above the main thermostat. ( See attached picture)

Attachment 17731
I don't have anything like the picture you posted. I guess I need to install one. The biggest reason is that driving down the road, I want my kids to watch the TV's provided with the coach, but there is no power to electrical outlets when driving. This is stupid because you want the kids to watch movies while driving, not while stopped when they should outside playing!!! So in order for the TV's to work, the generator has to be running. Seems kinda redundant to have a generator running when a simple inverter for a few TV's should work just fine - or am I missing something?

Did you install that or have the RV mechanic/dealership do it??

Thanks,

Caleb
Old 05-30-2019, 12:07 AM   #10

THOR #11774
I agree that it makes sense to be able to power the TV's without running the genny.

In my case it came from the Thor factory with an inverter setup to power the TV'S and a few other plugs.

Inverters for this purpose are not that expensive. You'll probably want a pure sine wave model. Installation is somewhat straight forward but probably not something to do yourself unless you are familiar with RV power systems.

This would also let you power 120V devices (except A/C and Micro) when on batteries. For how long depends on a number of factors.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 AM   #11

THOR #4735
Inverters to power things while 'driving down the road' are fairly new to the RVing schene, even only fairly recently for some of the largest Class C and A coaches, especially those that are there to power more than just the residential fridge....

but the need to power a simple TV or dvd player or game console can easily be accomplished with a simple 12v plug in Power Inverter found at W*mt tire and battery section, or any auto parts store, in many different prices and sizes.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #12

THOR #15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

but the need to power a simple TV or dvd player or game console can easily be accomplished with a simple 12v plug in Power Inverter found at W*mt tire and battery section, or any auto parts store, in many different prices and sizes.

I agree, but there is no 12V plug anywhere close to where the bunk TV's are located.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #14543
Quote:
I agree, but there is no 12V plug anywhere close to where the bunk TV's are located.
Two words - Extension Cord.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:23 AM   #14

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Did I miss what year your ACE was? I ended up with the 29.4, but all the 2018 models we looked at had inverters. Most were located down low just inside the door. Enjoy.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #15

THOR #15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
Did I miss what year your ACE was? I ended up with the 29.4, but all the 2018 models we looked at had inverters. Most were located down low just inside the door. Enjoy.
It is a 2016 model year. There is nothing down there by the door entry. Darn.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:34 AM   #16

THOR #15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Two words - Extension Cord.
That made me literally laugh out loud. While I am not discounting that fact, all we need is more cords to go along with more clothes, and blankets, and toys, and books, etc. I am sure that I am probably in the vast minority of Class A RV owners with five kids in tow (reason for the the ACE model 30.2). Not complaining at all as I love and truly enjoy taking our kids with us, but anything that can make our life less complicated is preferable. Just wish the TV's would run while the coach is running. Is that really too much to ask????

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #17

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
Quote:
I also have another question - do I have an inverter? See pic below on the control monitor panel the button that is circled. When I push the botton nothing happens. I thought it was a switch for an inverter, but no outlets work when I have it turned on. The best I can tell, nothing happens differently when the switch is on or off.
The switch is 110 power for the water heater.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
...What would be the best way to fill it? Just some dicor you think. I would worry about it settling though. I guess I could put a light there too, if it does not interfere with a door closing...
Caleb
I have filled holes on the side of RVs with a polished plate of aluminum. Before screwing it to the side, apply a generous amount of 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant. Use stainless steel screws.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:18 AM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
I have a 2018 Ace 30.2 & am pretty certain I don't have one near my door, if anywhere... I just have my porch lights, step switch, step night light switch, awning light switch, main power switch, & the awning control down low by my door. I'm jus six months on the road as of today & am curious whether I missed something again that y'all can school me on. I know that I can only run my tv's while moving if I run the geni, but my dog is interested in watching it, lol. Running the geni does help w/keepin my rig cooler when needed by runnin the roof air conditioner. Let me know guys, I'm really curious & if I have one it would be nice to learn what I can do with it. Happy camping everyone!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:12 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #14365
Quote:
Recently purchased a new-to-me Thor Ace 30.2 Class A motorhome. Just came from a 2009 Class C Sunseeker.

When I brought the coach home, I noticed a hole just behind the door. It is pretty deep and has a couple of screws close as well. Just wondering what it was that was once there and what should be done to close the hole along with the screw holes (that don't appear to be sealed properly either). I tried looking at pictures of other 30.2 models, and it appears that it should not be there.

Thanks in advance.
Could it be side marker lights like this one?
https://tinyurl.com/Th0race