Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Illinois
THOR #10965
What works on Generator

OK, have a '14 Thor Four Winds, and am just curious on what is supposed to work when I have the generator running.

I was exercising the generator and charging up batteries this weekend and figured I would see if anything worked on generator. Only thing I could get to turn on were lights, fans, a/c, and heater/fridge. None of the outlets seemed to have any power, none of the other appliance (tv's, microwave) had power.

-Todd

Old 04-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Everything should work when running the generator. Does everything work on 110VAC shore power? Have you checked breakers in power box? Not sure what generator you have, but on our 5.5 KW Onan there are 2 breaker switches. Check to ensure both are in the on position and not tripped. On our coach we have an Automatic Transfer Switch (located next to the shore power connection) that gave me a problem.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

THOR #10965
That is what I was afraid of. I haven't started pulling fuses yet to check them, but I did check the breaker panel and nothing was tripped. i'll reset them all and try again later today.

Basically everything that worked off battery was working and the battery was charging so I know the generator produces power.

Yes, everything works on shore power.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

THOR #10965
Have to check all circuit breakers. RTFM and found there is a breaker on the generator as well. Hopefully it is something as simple as that.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
simple, your breaker on the generator itself is tripped
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #6

THOR #10965
I should know this stuff lol. I have a generator I use at the house for power outages. Same thing, just on wheels.. well, I guess the RV one is a little more heavy duty. Anyways, will check it out after work, hoping just the tripped breaker on the generator.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Running the generator, your entire electrical system, should be live. RV generators are sized to run all appliances and provide power to all outlets. Can't see that it would be the breaker at the generator if anything is working, unless and I doubt it, there are two breakers at the generator and only one is tripped.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

THOR #10965
Generator circuit breaker was tripped/off, flipped that on. Still didn't have anything so I flipped the rest of the circuit breakers inside the coach and just like that, everything had power. Let it run for a bit and flipped everything on and off. Only thing that isn't working is an aftermarket TV they added to the sleeping area, but the receptacle has power, so I am guessing it is a dead TV.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Yep - the generator circuit breaker thing bit me about 6 months into our 1st coach. Ouch!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I've often suggested on this forum, and others, that generator and rv manufacturers should provide some type of 'alert' or 'red light' to let you know that your generator might be running, but it's not providing any power(the breakers are tripped).

now, for us in the 'know', you can look also at your Inverter/Charger panel and might see that you are still 'inverting', which is a clue that the generator is not providing power, but for others without a panel, it's not as easy to diagnose - unless it's happened to you before. : /
Old 04-10-2018, 01:07 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
Still didn't have anything so I flipped the rest of the circuit breakers inside the coach and just like that, everything had power. .
Very common for a circuit breaker to trip and not look tripped. Often it is worthwhile to trip and reset the breaker for a particular circuit if you suspect a problem.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #12

THOR #10965
Thanks for all the help everyone. I haven't even gotten this thing out on the road yet but I guess it is better to know this stuff before I get out in the woods.