Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 AM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
A few years later they got a bit larger (not by much) but most remained gas pushers if I recall correctly. VW may have experimented with Diesel engines in these too, but they soon stopped production. It was too long ago to remember clearly.

With proper engineering, I see no reason why a much larger and modern version of these can’t be manufactured for RV use. Unfortunately, these as commercial vans were not ideal to haul cargo, which is a much bigger market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	866EDA55-35FE-4F3B-B372-0B9F61D3DD95.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	15140  

Old 01-16-2019, 04:26 AM   #62

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I have the E450 and only get 7.7 towing a 3k lb truck and keep the tailgate down (drag reduction). 6 is not far from that. I don't know if the 7.7 is expected by most. I was hoping for at least 8 but alas - it's not the first time my hope and reality didn't line up.

I took the mountain pass from El Paso to Las Cruces and the v10 did it jobs on both the uphill and down hill runs. While I was impressed she actually made it, a 40ft class A diesel pusher passed me like I was going backwards and the 18 wheelers seemed to have an easier time of it too.
The best I got with a 30-ft Class C with no toad was about 8.5 MPG, and that was driving around 62 MPH over most of 5,000 miles. My 24-footer Class C only got around 8 MPG at 70 MPH. I don’t think weight matters as much as size, shape, and how fast you drive. Just an educated opinion that most Class Cs are not great.

As far as power, yeah, 305 HP if naturally aspirated can lose over 50 HP quickly at elevation, sometimes more, so if you’re pushing about 18,000 pounds GCW then Semis that are running empty may blow by you.

For me that’s not an issue as long as I’m going fast enough to not get hit from behind. I don’t care about a few extra seconds. Loaded trucks are usually going slower. There is no way an 80,000-pound Semi with only 500 HP is going to pass me, even at high elevations.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #63

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The best I got with a 30-ft Class C with no toad was about 8.5 MPG, and that was driving around 62 MPH over most of 5,000 miles. My 24-footer Class C only got around 8 MPG at 70 MPH. I don’t think weight matters as much as size, shape, and how fast you drive. Just an educated opinion that most Class Cs are not great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

As far as power, yeah, 305 HP if naturally aspirated can lose over 50 HP quickly at elevation, sometimes more, so if you’re pushing about 18,000 pounds GCW then Semis that are running empty may blow by you.

For me that’s not an issue as long as I’m going fast enough to not get hit from behind. I don’t care about a few extra seconds. Loaded trucks are usually going slower. There is no way an 80,000-pound Semi with only 500 HP is going to pass me, even at high elevations.

Hi Chance. Thanks for the input. The 305 is injected and I hear you, loud and clear. Aerodynamics have everything to do with it. Futile or not, I washed and waxed the beast to reduce drag before I set out – and protect it from the weather. Good thing, given the latter.

I turned on my flashers when I went below 45. I'm still getting over the fact she made up, and then down the other side - without me having to take the runaway truck ramp. I tried using the tow/haul switch and constantly found myself disabling it. Tapping the brakes sent it into a lower gear and the RPMS would skyrocket. I wanted the brakes to assist slowing, not send the tranny into the next lowest gear. On/off was constant event during the entire downhill venture. Ever sweat bullets? That was me. I learned a new lesson: Have a little faith.

I have a significant issue with its shift points; specifically on insignificant grades but the 5-star price doesn't justify a steady foot in those situations. I went from Ft. Stockton to El Paso and learned removing the cruise control when I saw an inline and using my foot stopped the constant and unnecessary shifting. I also went manual from El Paso to Las Cruces.

In the days of old, cruise control was a different setup. If your foot was on the accelerator an you encountered an incline, you could feel the accelerator depress. The opposite was also true. That’s no longer the case. Now, you have to shut it down on a decline, guess on an inline and hope you have it right if you want smooth transitions.

The most disappointing part of the whole experience was my engine didn't seem to be as erratic using my foot as much as it was on cruise control. Lesson learned.

The question you might have is: what does this have to do with my response to your post? Its relative to the MPG, strain on the motor’s bottom end (crankshaft and bearings), and transmission when it shifts back and forth like that. I want a tune that will do what my foot does – at least for now.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #64
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
This was my gas pusher from 2004-2009

I get the impression that "pushing gas" through that engine was a heckuva lot of fun!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #65

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....

The question you might have is: what does this have to do with my response to your post? Its relative to the MPG, strain on the motor’s bottom end (crankshaft and bearings), and transmission when it shifts back and forth like that. I want a tune that will do what my foot does – at least for now.
People should do what they enjoy and makes them happy. I personally never pursue those kinds of upgrades because they are of little interest to me. If I can accomplish what you describe by turning off the cruise control, I’d go that route. To be 100% honest, I rarely use cruise control on any vehicle to start with, so it’s not an issue for me.

My personal view is that power upgrades don’t save enough fuel to pay for themselves, and don’t add enough power to save enough time driving while on the road to offset the time I’d spend tinkering with the upgrade. The only valueable benefit I can relate to is if it’s “fun” doing the upgrade, and for me it wouldn’t be. But everyone is different with different likes, so I try very hard to never judge what people prefer to do.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #66

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I get the impression that "pushing gas" through that engine was a heckuva lot of fun!
You have no idea
Old 01-17-2019, 11:07 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Tell the truth: what's the fastest that they ever clocked you at?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote