Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Wind Screen Wiper Adjustment

I am getting ready to head back home, so it was time to correct the sweep of the windshield wipers.

I had looked at them before but didn't proceed because I didn't have the proper tool to pull the arm off of the wiper spindle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wipers 2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1752

I purchased a set of these for use on another project waiting for me at home. The smallest 3 jaw puller is just the size for releasing the wiper arm.

Name:	Wipers 1.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1753

The nut on the wiper arm is 1/2 inch. It is not necessary to remove the nut from the wiper arm. Just loosen the nut about 1/4 inch and use the nut to center the puller. Wrench the puller down and the arm will pop loose. Pull the arm away from the wind screen, relocate the arm to the desired position and retighten the nut.

Here's where the blades rest in order to wipe the wind screen to my satisfaction. The blades at the end of the sweep are vertical about three inches from the A pillar.

Name:	Wipers 3.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	1754

Bruce

Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If my wipers were in that position both would go way past the A-Pillar and bounce out past the side of the camper.

As it is the driver's side wiper hits the A-Pillar now. I wonder if there is a way to shorten the arc (this would entail adjusting the mechanism inside the camper).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
When my dealer replaced my cracked windshield under warranty last summer he put the wipers in that same position.I found that they were somewhat in my line of vision and annoyed me so I unscrewed the nut and was able to pull them off by hand.They were a little tight but came off easily enough.I repositioned them so that they were fairly level on the windshield when off.After having gone through the cracked windshield,bad washer pump deal,I realized that the wipers are fairly useless no matter how you position them because they don't properly wip parts of the windshield due to the many curves in the glass.My solution,LOTS OF RAIN X!!! Now I barely use my wipers unless it is a torrential downpour!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Interesting idea. I'll have to look into that.

It would be nice to have the wipers park lower.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I wonder if there is a way to shorten the arc (this would entail adjusting the mechanism inside the camper).
Old 04-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Djfred,

How much time and effort did "Lots of Rain X" take? I have a 12 oz bottle and am awaiting a dry day to start the project.

Thanks.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

THOR #1592
I apply rain x before each trip.It takes about 10 minutes to do the windshield.Spray it on liberally,wait a few minutes,then rub it off.You will notice that it leaves a smear on your windshield.wait a few more minutes for it to dry further,then wipe it until it is clear.It takes a little elbow grease,just like waxing.Because of the shape of the windshield the rain just beads and rolls right off.You will be amazed at how little you need to use your wipers!
Old 04-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

THOR #1592
Another note,it also helps prevent water spotting on your glass,so I use it on all of my windows and the side mirrors also.m,
Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #8

THOR #1592
one more note,I should think of all these things at once,if you remove and lower your wipers to a level position take note that they don't hit each other when turned on.you need to space them properly when reinstalling
Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
RainX is super on big, flat windshields. It doesn't take that much product, just wipe on and then wipe off the haze. Microfiber is best for the second wipe.
Raindrops just blow right off. The wipers won't be needed except for heavy rains, like DjFred said.

Oops, just added another chore to the list!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Great, now if the rains will just let up here in the NC Piedmont area.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
OK has this happened to any one yet? Not sure how or why but this happened to us 3 time2 in about 20 mile then I just took the dam arm off. Didn't have winds and was only doing about 50 MPH. The arm speed was set about half speed. Wasn't a very fun trip home...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiper arm.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1960  
Old 05-09-2016, 12:47 AM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Hasn't happened to me but a couple of folks with Challengers found the splined gear that connects the wiper arm to the motor was not the correct size and they had the issue of the wipers not functioning or just flopping around.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:07 AM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Hasn't happened to me but a couple of folks with Challengers found the splined gear that connects the wiper arm to the motor was not the correct size and they had the issue of the wipers not functioning or just flopping around.
I was trying to watch them really close when ever it happened. Both blades move at the same time kinda side by side. Looked to be that the right blade would hesitate or get stuck for a split second at times then whip over toward the other blade that had all ready started moving back the other way, then would hit it and just mess up everything. Even when everything is ok and when the blades come back to the rest position they go to far down then come back up about 3 inches before they stop. Maybe the arms are bending like a bow then whip forward??? the blade you see all messed up looking is just fine when I took it off, didn't even stay bent. I wonder is there is a more heavy duty arm that doesn't bend or flex...