Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1532
Window Shade Brackets

Does anyone know where to get these window brackets as I have attached in the pictures? I have had several of these break, and need new ones. Currently, I have my shades tied up with welding wire.

While I had it all apart, I noticed that these day/night shades are very heavy. The shade over my dining unit is about 4-5' long and held up with just two of these brackets. Even when they are not broken, the shade bends even when sitting still. Also, I noted each bracket is held in by only one screw, and since the screws are simply run into the wallboard, they are stripped and really not doing much. I resolved this by putting in three screws with proper anchors, but I want to put more than two brackets on the heavy blinds, so I'll need extras when I replace the broken ones.

I don't know why the lack of quality continues to surprise me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shade1.JPG
Views:	668
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shade2.JPG
Views:	590
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	363  

Old 04-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You can try MCD Innovations they make a lot of the day/night shades for the RV industry.

Try

techsupport@mcdinnovations.com

or phone:

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

THOR #1532
Thank you, it looks like MCD is the right manufacturer. And they are here in the Dallas area, maybe they will let me go pick them up!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

THOR #1532
MCD is not the manufacturer unfortunately. Any other guesses? Guess I'll email Thor.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
MCD is not the manufacturer unfortunately. Any other guesses? Guess I'll email Thor.
I went out to my coach and found that the shades are made by Irvine Shade and Door Inc. Their web site says they are a supplier for Thor.

Welcome | Irvine Shade and Door : Irvine Shade and Door

Their #5 large L bracket looks like one of your photos. Maybe they're the ones you need to call.

The link showing the brackets.

Slow-Rise Roller Shades - Irvine Shade and Door : Irvine Shade and Door
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

THOR #1532
I just got a call from Thor, they are going to send the brackets.

Thank you for finding that, I will make note of it.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
KLS

Model: Four Winds Chateau 33SW
State: Nevada
THOR #4104
Roller Shade Brackets

I see I'm not the only one with this broken roller shade bracket issue, hopefully Thor will come through with new brackets again
I can't understand why they would use a bracket with a plastic clip to hold the shade in and expect it to last.
I'd love to find a replacement to these that will last so I don't have to worry about another shade falling off while traveling again

2015 33SW
Old 04-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Louisiana
THOR #2095
One of those broke on my RV. The dealer had them in stock on the parts store shelf... a lot of them. I'm expecting more failures :-)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Louisiana
THOR #2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
I see I'm not the only one with this broken roller shade bracket issue, hopefully Thor will come through with new brackets again
I can't understand why they would use a bracket with a plastic clip to hold the shade in and expect it to last.
I'd love to find a replacement to these that will last so I don't have to worry about another shade falling off while traveling again

2015 33SW
Welding wire?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #10
KLS

THOR #4104
Roller Shade Brackets

If I had a dealer closer that 3+ hours away I'd go check it out, but no such luck. I just emailed the manufacturer to see if I can buy direct, if so I'm going to stock up
Old 04-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
KLS

THOR #4104
OK I'll bite, How did you fix w/ welding wire ?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #12

THOR #1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
OK I'll bite, How did you fix w/ welding wire ?
I held the shade up to the broken bracket and wrapped it around the two. Same as you'd do with bailing wire.

Thor did send new brackets. For all the windows except the bedroom window, I was able to install four brackets for each shade. I also used wallboard bolts (molly bolts) and two screws per bracket rather than the way the factory did it which was no wallboard bolts and one screw per bracket. For the bedroom, it was impossible to install four brackets for the shade. It broke again two weeks ago. We gave up and installed a curtain using a spring tension rod inside the valance. So far it as worked great. In fact, it seems we like the curtain better than the window shades.

I had pictures, but I don't know where I put them.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #13
KLS

THOR #4104
Roller Shade Brackets

These brackets are crap, Thor has to know this by now but either can't or won't change to a better one. I am researching to find something better, one without a plastic clip destined to break
Your curtain on a tension rod solution will do for the bedroom window until I find a permanent solution, Thanks for the tip
Old 04-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

THOR #1532
We are considering going to curtains for all the windows. My wife is talking about recovering the valances (the 80's style has to go) and then we will install curtains to match. The curtains are light, and they don't bang around going down the road. We have found we don't use the see-through shade all that much, and then the full privacy one is too far away from the wall to block enough light. Even if we liked them, we've had problems with the shade part coming unglued from the roller, and putting them back up is a pain. The one in our bedroom, before breaking, got to the point the glue would no longer stick, so they would just fall off during the night. With a curtain, this cannot happen.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #15

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Florida
THOR #7274
I realize this is an old thread, but for those people that may need help with these brackets you can all Irvine Shade and Door at 574-522-1446 and they will mail you replacement brackets - just be sure to look at the pictures in the prior post's link and know which one you need.

We had roller shade simple fall off while driving home from our last trip (not one we really ever use so it was kinda crappy it fell off). I saw that two of the brackets plastic piece broke off and the third was ok. Have not been able to find them anywhere so called Irvine direct and the young lady that answered took my name and address and said she would ship them out to me today... will post a followup to confirm they followed through with that mailing...
Old 08-17-2017, 02:17 AM   #16

Model: Four Winds 33SW
State: Idaho
THOR #4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Does anyone know where to get these window brackets as I have attached in the pictures? I have had several of these break, and need new ones. Currently, I have my shades tied up with welding wire.

While I had it all apart, I noticed that these day/night shades are very heavy. The shade over my dining unit is about 4-5' long and held up with just two of these brackets. Even when they are not broken, the shade bends even when sitting still. Also, I noted each bracket is held in by only one screw, and since the screws are simply run into the wallboard, they are stripped and really not doing much. I resolved this by putting in three screws with proper anchors, but I want to put more than two brackets on the heavy blinds, so I'll need extras when I replace the broken ones.

I don't know why the lack of quality continues to surprise me.
I had the two in my 33SW break off while driving and it nearly took out one of the windows. The RV tech that fixed it had Thor send him 4 new brackets and he installed them into the valance. Then he put L-brackets up (5) to hold the valance better. Works great now. This is a problem I have identified to Thor for their future installs.

Marshall
Old 08-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #17

THOR #7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffnBeth View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but for those people that may need help with these brackets you can all Irvine Shade and Door at 574-522-1446 and they will mail you replacement brackets - just be sure to look at the pictures in the prior post's link and know which one you need.

We had roller shade simple fall off while driving home from our last trip (not one we really ever use so it was kinda crappy it fell off). I saw that two of the brackets plastic piece broke off and the third was ok. Have not been able to find them anywhere so called Irvine direct and the young lady that answered took my name and address and said she would ship them out to me today... will post a followup to confirm they followed through with that mailing...
As a follow-up....I received the brackets 3 days after I talked to Irvine. Took off the broken brackets and replaced them. Worse part was trying to get the roller shade back up, but had help and after removing the side valances got the roller shade clipped in....
Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 33SW
State: Idaho
THOR #4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffnBeth View Post
As a follow-up....I received the brackets 3 days after I talked to Irvine. Took off the broken brackets and replaced them. Worse part was trying to get the roller shade back up, but had help and after removing the side valances got the roller shade clipped in....
If you left the shade up with only two brackets, it will break again. The weight of the 5 foot roller shades (sun and privacy) are more than the brackets can handle.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #19

THOR #7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPoes View Post
If you left the shade up with only two brackets, it will break again. The weight of the 5 foot roller shades (sun and privacy) are more than the brackets can handle.
I replaced all three brackets...no way I would trust only 2...
Old 08-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
We just replaced the old style drawstring shades with Shade-Man (Irvine Shade) day/night shades. They recommend a MINIMUM of 4 brackets for anything longer then 48" and 5 brackets for anything longer than 60" in their instructions. The brackets they supplied were exactly like what is in the OP's picture.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote