Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
Windshild Wiper-Drivers Side

In regard to a 2017 Thor-AXIS. The Driver side windshield wiper, when wiping, the upward travel stops right in front of my driving field of vision. I think it should all the way to the Left side of the windshield. Hs anyone else encountered this situation? In a heavy rain it is quite difficult to see especially if going on a left hand turn.

I have asked Thor, and my dealer and there seems to be no solution to adjust the wiper to go further to the left.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
I'd be interested if you get a solid answer on adjustment- though the issue on our '15 Windsport is the exact opposite. Driver-side wiper seems to go a bit "too far", and slaps against the windshield support column when on any speed above "Intermittent" settings.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.maslowski@comcast.net View Post
In regard to a 2017 Thor-AXIS. The Driver side windshield wiper, when wiping, the upward travel stops right in front of my driving field of vision. I think it should all the way to the Left side of the windshield. Hs anyone else encountered this situation? In a heavy rain it is quite difficult to see especially if going on a left hand turn.

I have asked Thor, and my dealer and there seems to be no solution to adjust the wiper to go further to the left.
I have the same exact problem. I cant believe this is the way it was designed - very hazardous. Its not rocket science - I think the Model T had a better design (but manual operated).

SO when my RV was a week old I moved the Drivers side arm so they are even when down but then they got hung up on each other - luckily no damaged. Not to mention it made my problem worse with field of vision. I moved back to factory spot. I could go the OTHER way but when not in use the driver’s side will be up like 4 inches higher (or more) and drive me crazy. But that the only easy fix that I can see.

I use Rainex so that helps some. Must be reapplied every few month to be effective. But the bugs come right off so thats good.

I looked at the linkage under the hood.... looks to me it need some sort of lever action somehow but I don’t have the knowledge for this mod (or a welder). I bet someone can figure it out.

I even searched for solutions on line but no answers. I was hoping that THOR or FORD had a longer linkage used on another model that would help.

Its drives me crazy when it rains.

Let me know if you find a solution.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #4

THOR #12231
You can see by my picture (Icon?) next my name - they are almost level at rest - I forgot I would have to raise BOTH wipers to make them work properly. SO the left side would have to be up like 6 or more inches and the Right side 4 inches. If they are any closer than what I have they will get tangled up.

Thats why I never changed mine. I dont drive in the rain very much (at least not yet).
Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #5

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
I am truly looking to Thor for a solution. This is dangerous especially in heavy rain (which I have encountered). Using Rain-X is a must especially with the giant greenhouse window (which I like). I'm sure that there is a mechanical solution in the linkage under "the hood".

The mechanism is not a Ford product. Must be out-sourced. I'll have to study it after taking some pictures.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Yep, your right. Let us know what you find out. I really need to fix mine as well.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
I, like all Vegas /Axis owners have the same problem. It is really bad should you get caught in a snow storm as it adds to the already limited corner visibility with the big corner post.

The only solution is to adjust BOTH wipers so they are not horizontal at rest. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the drivers side as high as possible, and yet not have the passenger side hit the side post, and to not have them hit each other.

I had done this and was complaining to the dealer about it, and they told me they had a fix, and to bring it in. So I returned them to original and took it in. The Tech got on the phone with THOR and they told him to do exactly as described above.

This frustrates me, as it appears to me, that if the wiper arms were made the opposite way, with the drivers side on top, the problem would be solved. The passenger side would not go all the way, but it is too far to the side to cause an issue.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:38 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Not all Axis/Vegas drivers: Our driver's side wiper goes too far and slaps against the A-Pillar. So yeah still needs to be adjusted down a bit, but only a little bit.

When off they rest slightly up from level:
Click image for larger version

Name:	axiswindowcover3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	12692

I really haven't done much about it since we've been lucky and haven't hit much rain on the road.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:54 AM   #9

THOR #12231
Yep, I did the same thing. I raised both of my a few weeks ago. It help some but its still not right.

I noticed that some of the older Axis/Vegas have different wipers (like Jamiegeek). His work in the same direction (Like most autos do) but the later ones work in opposite directions (see my pic). I think the older version might work better. Mine have gotten hung up on each other when I didnt leave enough space between them after I adjusted them upwards about 3 inches.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:06 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yep, I did the same thing. I raised both of my a few weeks ago. It help some but its still not right.

I noticed that some of the older Axis/Vegas have different wipers (like Jamiegeek). His work in the same direction (Like most autos do) but the later ones work in opposite directions (see my pic). I think the older version might work better. Mine have gotten hung up on each other when I didnt leave enough space between them after I adjusted them upwards about 3 inches.
I didn't even notice that. Yup our wipers move in the same direction.

Many newer cars, however, work against each other. In addition: Each wiper is on its own motor and are controlled by a computer (I noticed this once on one of our cars where, after changing the blades out, when we started it the wipers swapped their position each one moving independently of the other).
Old 09-08-2018, 04:49 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Yeah that is the different configuration with both going the same way. Some travel opposite each other.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Unfortunately mine is operated with one motor and linkage connecting both wipers. Its like they needed some sort of extra dogleg linkage for the driver side so when it gets to the end of the stroke it can goes 5 inches further. Right now when the drivers side swipes upward its not even straight up by the time it gets to the end of the stroke and I have to tilt my head to my right so I can see out clean glass. And thats after I raised them about 3 inches. It really needs two motors that you can adjust the range individually.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Here is were my wipers are at now. And the drivers side is still not close to being "normal" when compared to any auto/truck on the market. I venture to say that most RV's have a better sweep area than the Axis/Vegas.

I wish the DS was on top, I have to raise the PS as well and If I dont leave the gap you see between them they will get hungup on eachother on high speed. Very disappointing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4940.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	12693  
Old 09-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Here is were my wipers are at now. And the drivers side is still not close to being "normal" when compared to any auto/truck on the market. I venture to say that most RV's have a better sweep area than the Axis/Vegas.

I wish the DS was on top, I have to raise the PS as well and If I dont leave the gap you see between them they will get hungup on eachother on high speed. Very disappointing.
So what happens if you adjust the rest positions so the driver's side is on top? Does the PS not get out of the way fast enough? or does it return too soon and get in the way of the DS?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #15

THOR #12231
You cant. The DS wiper arm is shorter (look at my picture) so it will sit lower unless you had it at a 45 deg angle at rest but then it would hit the DS window frame and look stupid going down the road IMO. I wish I could just swap the sides but it dont work that way. LOL.

If I had a welder (and I knew how to weld - lol) I would some how lengthen the DS linkage and add some sort of dogleg to give it an 8 inch thow at the end of the stroke (I bet its off 8 inches or more from where it should be - thats crazy).

Or if one could retrofit TWO seperate wiper motors (without linkage between them) it would work great.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
You cant. The DS wiper arm is shorter (look at my picture) so it will sit lower unless you had it at a 45 deg angle at rest but then it would hit the DS window frame and look stupid going down the road IMO. I wish I could just swap the sides but it dont work that way. LOL.

If I had a welder (and I knew how to weld - lol) I would some how lengthen the DS linkage and add some sort of dogleg to give it an 8 inch thow at the end of the stroke (I bet its off 8 inches or more from where it should be - thats crazy).

Or if one could retrofit TWO seperate wiper motors (without linkage between them) it would work great.
Actually I bet it wouldn't be that difficult to put some servo's in for both wipers and write some Arduino or Raspberry Pi code to control them. The trick would be to find some servo's strong enough for the fastest wipe cycles.

Could even put in a rain sensor in the dash to make them auto wipe like the latest car wipers do.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #17

THOR #12231
I was hoping you would say that. You're the perfect person to retro fit something like this, Sound like fun dont it? Come on - everyone is doing it. LOL.

When you get it all figured out let us know how to do it. LOL
Old 09-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
I was hoping you would say that. You're the perfect person to retro fit something like this, Sound like fun dont it? Come on - everyone is doing it. LOL.

When you get it all figured out let us know how to do it. LOL
LOL I did do some googling to try to figure this out but most of the google results were people using a wiper motor as a servo which may work in this application
Old 09-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #19

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Like LaWR, my DS only rose about halfway. I gave up trying to adjust them after multiple attempts. I want to bend the DS sit higher over the PS but the flat bar can't without buckling. I've removed the PS all together and have a 36" blade on order. This is the worst designed POS.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Ok, so your going to just have the DS wiper for the entire window? Let us know how that turns out and post some picks. Yeah its not like designing windshield wipers is rocket science. They been around for about a 100 years.