Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 29FE Freedom Elite
State: Idaho
THOR #15730
Winterize 2018 29fe

It was time to winterize my new to me 2018 Thor 29fe. A more experienced friend came to show me the ropes. We successfully blew out the lines with a compressor and then wanted to put some RV antifreeze in the lines. He asked where the water pump was and I showed him the rear corner of the coach in the bedroom after removing an "access' panel. There was the fresh water tank filling 80% of the opening. You could see the water pump and there was no connection, valves, etc. for pumping in antifreeze. There was no room to work on it either. Would be beneficial to remove a drawer above the area, but when you pulled drawer out - it hit the bed! So he suggested the easiest way was to buy an external water pump and pump in the antifreeze through the outside city water connection which we did.

Later I stumble upon my online owners manual (the printed copy that came with the coach had generic winterizing instructions) and it said in it's how to winterize article: Insert hose into City water connection with the other end going into a gallon of RV antifreeze. Turn ON water pump and run antifreeze through all faucets one at a time. Here (finally) is my question. If you did connect a hose to the outside city water connection and put the other end in a gallon of antifreeze and went inside and turned on the water pump, would that bring the antifreeze into the plumbing system so as to be able to turn on hot/cold faucets and get pink stuff through? I was alreay done with winterizing so didn't go out and try it but thought next year I might. Any ideas??

Old 10-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
That will not work. The city water connection enters on the inboard side of the pump, so the pump will not draw it in. Somewhere, within a foot or so of the pump and between the fresh water tank and the pump, there should be a "stub pipe" with a removable white cap on it. Shut valve off at bottom of water tank, connect hose to this stub, then run antifreeze through system. It usually takes 2-3 gallons to flush entire system.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Sometimes a picture helps.....a simple RV plumbing system like in my ACE is attached. City water inlet is on right side of drawing; winterizing line is on lower left. Winterizing line ....has to be on the low pressure (suction) side of the water pump to draw pink antifreeze into your water system as Gritz says. The other option is to add pink into your fresh tank and pump that through the system. Some folks don't like that idea but pink is potable and in Spring you should always flush the pink totally first and then sanitize the entire plumbing system with proper water/bleach concentration; then flush again IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Simple RV Plumbing Schematic.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	21071  
Old 10-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
If I understand it, you have a 2018 29fe. I have the same. My water pump is under the sofa next to the water tank. There are valves there to control the intake to the water pump. One is water from the tank, the other is from the fitting at the front of the water pump which when the plug is removed, a hose fitting and a plastic flexible water line is attached. The other end is placed in your container of antifreeze. The valve is turned to pick up the antifreeze and walla, pink stuff flows through the water lines.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

Model: 2018 29FE Freedom Elite
State: Idaho
THOR #15730
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
If I understand it, you have a 2018 29fe. I have the same. My water pump is under the sofa next to the water tank. There are valves there to control the intake to the water pump. One is water from the tank, the other is from the fitting at the front of the water pump which when the plug is removed, a hose fitting and a plastic flexible water line is attached. The other end is placed in your container of antifreeze. The valve is turned to pick up the antifreeze and walla, pink stuff flows through the water lines.
Yes, I see on a 2017 29fe the water tank is located towards the front of the coach and the pump is under the sofa. I wish mine were that way, but alas, in 2018 they put the water tank at the very rear of the coach and the pump nearby accessible only through removing a panel in the bedroom wall under 5 dresser drawers. I know folks say there should be a hose with a plug on it, but there is nothing there but plumbing lines from the tank to the pump and out to the trailer water faucets. We successfully used an external pump and put the pink stuff through the city water connection outside (plenty of room to work!) I think maybe next year I'll put the pink stuff in the water tank and run it through the internal water pump that way or take it to Camping World and see if for less than $1000 they can put in a winterizing hose in that cramped space. I sure would like to hear from someone who has an identical 2018 Freedom Elite 29fe. Thanks much for the replies
Old 10-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Make sure you cover the space between the water tank and the pump. The outside water doesn't go through this area...it bypasses it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
jazzman, didn't know the highly competent hamburger flippers would change the design between 2017 to 2018.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote