Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Louisiana
THOR #1597
Windsport/Hurricane

Good afternoon. My wife and I are looking at the Windsport/Hurricane line for our first motor home. We have visited a number of RV shows and the 32N or 31S look very nice to us. Would any owners of these models be willing to share stories about your impression of your purchase and Thor?

Disclaimer: I know all RVs have a shake down period where things will need to be fixed, but my wife and I decided we wanted to buy a new coach and not used. We want to be the first users of the coach and are willing to accept all that comes with that decision.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Welcome! My wife and I just bought a Hurricane 34E about 3 weeks ago. We absolutely love it, and are new to RV'ing also. We agreed to buy new for the same reason as you. We have had some minor shake down issues, but nothing that has been keeping us from using the coach.
You will see many complaints, about all coach builders it seems.....and the rule seems to be nothing happens quickly when trying to get your coach serviced! We are going to enjoy the coach for the spring summer, and then in the fall we will take it in with our list of warranty work to be done.....then if it sits in the shop 6 weeks, so be it! We purchased from Camping World, but have not had any service experience with them yet.

As far as Thor customer service....only called them one time, and they were excellent!!!!! We were stuck in a RV park 3.5 hours from home in the pouring rain yesterday morning, and as I disconnect the shore power line, the electric meter hook up at the top of the post shot sparks and started smoking! Oh well, called the RV park office to let them know , but we were leaving anyway. Well I get in the coach, and can't get the jacks up, or start the generator....called Thor service and gave them all my symptoms, and what had happened. We checked some things, but he realized all the things that did not work had a direct battery connection. He sent me out to the battery compartment to check 3 breakers I did not know existed One of them had popped apparently because of the power surge from the shorting shore power connection. Reset that, and all was well. Before I thought about calling Thor, I called Goodsam roadside assist, and they were sending a mobile RV tech to come help us. The Thor rep even emailed me the battery schematics to show the tech since he suspected one of those breakers.

Sorry so long, but basically, our experience, while not trouble free, has been fun and the learning curve is steep!!

Issues that will need warranty work:
Electric only side of water heater does not work (gas works great)
Electric awning does not work (know issue upon deliver, parts on order)
Furnace works great, but only one fan speed, there is a high, and low setting but no difference between the two speeds that I can determine

small thing we are fixing:
door adjustments
sliding door fell off track
entrance door needed latching adjust
and just little things like you would fix around the house.,
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #937
The kids and I picked up a new 2014 Hurricane, (also a 34E), in November 2013. It's our fifth RV, and our third motorhome. I like new motorhomes, kinda like I enjoy a new toothbrush.

It climbs the Eastern High Sierras, (while towing a Prius). and cruised through the Tioga Pass better than I expected for a gasser.

The overhead bunk slide mechanism was the only major repair during he warranty period.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
He sent me out to the battery compartment to check 3 breakers I did not know existed
Too bad Thor doesn't put that fact into some kind of documentation... it would be nice to know before being stranded somewhere in the rain. Perhaps a placard showing where all of the fuses and breakers are that is permanently affixed to the inside of a cabinet door. Wouldn't that be nice?

Quote:
Furnace works great, but only one fan speed, there is a high, and low setting but no difference between the two speeds that I can determine
Same thing here... in fact, the A/C is also just a single speed. I did not see where the wiring diagram on my furnace had a function for different speeds, and my A/C manual does not have a schematic. The thermostat however has two speeds, but apparently not my appliances... oh well, close enough.

Quote:
Electric only side of water heater does not work (gas works great)
Forgive me for being presumptuous, but are you positive your heater is gas/electric? The panel on my coach has a switch for Hot Water Electric, but I only have a gas water heater. I confirmed this by the water heater model number, and confirmation that there is no electric element attached to the heater.

So this remains a "mystery switch", as it is a mystery why it is there. However, wiring up panels generically is not unusual as a couple of my boats have had that as well. The boats at least ran the wires to the intended locations so that in the future, you could add that option later if not initially ordered.

I don't know yet if Thor did the same, or if the other end of the switch goes into the ether.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Going back to my prior coach (Forest River Class C) and not my current Challenger:

Furnace, try to get the owners manual for the specific furnace and Thermostat. On my prior coach the issue was not with the furnace but rather with the AC unit and the model of electronic thermostat used. For the furnace to warm the coach the thermostat fan switch had to be set to "Auto". Having the fan switch set to anything else caused the furnace to blow cold air through the AC vents rather than warm air through the furnace vents. This functionality was not listed in any documentation from the manufacturer and was learned through the Forest River forums and it turns out, for some reason, the system functioned as designed.

Hot water, my Challenger water heater (6 gal) is gas and electric and the owners manual provides the hot water rates for using gas, electric, or gas/electric functions. Again, prior coach and I have not verified this on the Challenger, there was a small rocker switch hidden behind the LP lines at the water heater that had to be set to "On" for the electric element to function.

Right now I am de-winterizing and system checking this new coach and have not yet checked the electric side of the water heater. After verifying the gas side works well I turned it off and today or this evening I will switch over to electric and verify that side is working.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #6

THOR #1599
[

Same thing here... in fact, the A/C is also just a single speed. I did not see where the wiring diagram on my furnace had a function for different speeds, and my A/C manual does not have a schematic. The thermostat however has two speeds, but apparently not my appliances... oh well, close enough.

Well this is actually good!!! one less thing I thought was wrong

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but are you positive your heater is gas/electric? The panel on my coach has a switch for Hot Water Electric, but I only have a gas water heater. I confirmed this by the water heater model number, and confirmation that there is no electric element attached to the heater.

No, I have thought about that myself.....I just wish there was some way to confirm it...if I pull the door off and look at the heater, not really sure what I would be looking for as far as an electric element. Maybe I can get a picture and post it and see what you think, as well as look for a model number.

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
If you have an Atwood heater, lower the door on your heater, the model number will be on a sticker on the right side of the interior frame:

G = Gas (propane)
C = Combo (gas + electric)
H = Heat Exchange (engine)
6 = 6 Gallon (or 10 for 10 Gallon)
AA = Heating Element
8 = Revision
E = Electronic Ignition
P = Pilot light

For example, my heater's model number is a G6A-8E (gas, 6 gallon, Electronic Ignition).

If it were a 6 gallon gas/electric, it would be a GC6... something.

Another way to tell is to look on the back of the heater. If there is an electric element, you will see it there. This is my heater, and there is no electric element:

If there is an electric element, there will be a black box on the backside of the tank like the one shown below:

Of course, this is a 6 gallon tank, a 10 gallon tank will look a bit different but have a similar box/lack of box.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

No, I have thought about that myself.....I just wish there was some way to confirm it...if I pull the door off and look at the heater, not really sure what I would be looking for as far as an electric element. Maybe I can get a picture and post it and see what you think, as well as look for a model number.
[/QUOTE]

I just popped open the water heater access door on my Challenger. At the bottom there is a small sticker (about 3 x 3 in) that has the electrical schematic and it states "combination gas/electric" at the top of the sticker. Also, I drained and refilled my water heater. I then turned the electric switch inside to the on position and no long after I had very hot water. The water heater on my Challenger is without a doubt gas/electric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heateer.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	269  
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #9

THOR #1599
OK, so i am not at my coach, but have a sheet that shows the model number and serial number of all installed products...it lists my Atwood as a CG6AA-10E, which is a gas electric model for sure. I am looking at a parts manual from atwood, some installations do a show an on/off switch at the heater itself.....but that appears only to be the case if there is no remote switch I think?
Old 03-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
You probably have a combo then. Would not surprise me if someone at the factory turned it on without any water in it and burned the element out.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
Would not surprise me if someone at the factory turned it on without any water in it and burned the element out.
or at the dealership.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #12

THOR #1599
Yeah, thats what I suspect......it will stay on the repair list then!!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Louisiana
THOR #1597
Thank you for all the information. I am glad to see you are getting to know your coach better. Its positive to hear you had a good experience with Thor service.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #14

State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Forgive me for being presumptuous, but are you positive your heater is gas/electric?...
My 2014 Hurricane 34E came standard with a gas/electric water heater. I must select the desired mode of operation at the control panel.

Have you checked the fuse/breaker panel? Or, it might be as simple as not being plugged in/wired, (I'm not sure if it's hard wired or not).
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #15

THOR #1599
FW28z, you were correct about the furnace....I called Atwood with the model number and they confirmed there is only one speed for the furnace I tried all the other positions, and High/low speeds work both in the "fan" and "cool" position. so all is good.

I guess I will leave the water heater for the warranty work, can't find any bad fuses or breakers, and looked around inside the front cover of the water heater but did not see any thing out of place...loose wiring or anything. Its OK, the gas position works fine for now.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:30 AM   #16

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #1406
Quote:
FW28z, you were correct about the furnace....I called Atwood with the model number and they confirmed there is only one speed for the furnace I tried all the other positions, and High/low speeds work both in the "fan" and "cool" position. so all is good.

I guess I will leave the water heater for the warranty work, can't find any bad fuses or breakers, and looked around inside the front cover of the water heater but did not see any thing out of place...loose wiring or anything. Its OK, the gas position works fine for now.
Tytlfamily - I have the exact problem with my furnace. Please let me know the outcome/fix.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #17

THOR #1599
Quote:
If you have an Atwood heater, lower the door on your heater, the model number will be on a sticker on the right side of the interior frame:

G = Gas (propane)
C = Combo (gas + electric)
H = Heat Exchange (engine)
6 = 6 Gallon (or 10 for 10 Gallon)
AA = Heating Element
8 = Revision
E = Electronic Ignition
P = Pilot light

For example, my heater's model number is a G6A-8E (gas, 6 gallon, Electronic Ignition).

If it were a 6 gallon gas/electric, it would be a GC6... something.

Another way to tell is to look on the back of the heater. If there is an electric element, you will see it there. This is my heater, and there is no electric element:

If there is an electric element, there will be a black box on the backside of the tank like the one shown below:

Of course, this is a 6 gallon tank, a 10 gallon tank will look a bit different but have a similar box/lack of box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRut View Post
Tytlfamily - I have the exact problem with my furnace. Please let me know the outcome/fix.
Turns out there is no problem....I thought the furnace was supposed to have 2 speeds....but it does not....it only operates at one fan speed....that is what I confirmed with the Atwood tech.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Kind of odd that those Coleman-Mach thermostats are used in many different RVs, and most of them would all have the same fan problem. When I go to RV shows, they are in most of the (lower cost) motorhomes (not sure about 5'ers or tt's as I don't go into many of those).

I don't know if a residential thermostat will work as it would have to control two different units rather than a combo A/C-furnace.

I suppose it's just another example of "good enough" from the RV industry.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Kind of odd that those Coleman-Mach thermostats are used in many different RVs, and most of them would all have the same fan problem. When I go to RV shows, they are in most of the (lower cost) motorhomes (not sure about 5'ers or tt's as I don't go into many of those).

I don't know if a residential thermostat will work as it would have to control two different units rather than a combo A/C-furnace.

I suppose it's just another example of "good enough" from the RV industry.
My prior coach, a forest river, had a suburban furnace with a Dometic thermostat and the furnace itself was single speed. The AC could be run on high or low, however, the thermostat had to be set to Auto for the furnace to operate correctly and this limited it to single speed. This issue may be a little deeper because it seems to cross over the lines of RV and component manufacturers.

I haven't tried the settings in this Challenger, however, I imagine I will find something similar to what you are finding.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
Its not really an issue: On our 5th wheel I had upgraded the thermostat to a Hunter digital model. It was a really easy procedure to do.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote