Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Winterize/santitize fresh water tank

Folks, something I've been curious about. I winterized my 34E Hurricane w/o a problem. My Hurricane has a 4 way switch on the water inlet and worked great for the winterization. I utilized the winterize/santitize setting. It pulled antifreeze from gallon jugs immediately into the water lines.
BUT, no antifreeze went into the fresh water tank. There is also no manual fill to get some in. That presents 2 issues 1) no antifreeze in fresh water tank. Luckily this should be OK as I have had the tank drain open for a while and tank should be empty 2) However, how do you get bleach/water solution into the tank when you want to santitize? Or, antifreeze if I needed some water (w antifreeze) for traveling?
Thanks, Dennis.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Do Not put anti Freeze in the fresh water tank
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
fheen is correct, after draining you don't need antifreeze in the fresh water tank. To put chlorine in the tank hook hose to your coach, set valve to fill water tank, before hooking hose to faucet pour chlorine in hose, then hook to faucet and turn on, chlorine will go straight to tank.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #4

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Ok, I understand that I don't need antifreeze when tank is dry but still curious about traveling? I know tank is under bed and shouldn't freeze but traveling I am running pure water in tank back into toilets. If I don't put some in there, isn't that still a freeze hazard since some hoses are under RV? No argument here just want to understand.
Also, I thought of hose trick but I was hoping there was a better way or I was missing something.
Thx, Dennis.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #5

THOR #5196
Budman, no problem! Are you trying to winterize Grey and black tanks for storage or concerned about freezing while traveling?

You can keep water in the tanks when traveling if you use the furnace and or tank heaters, furnace provides heat to tanks to prevent freezing.

If storing all the tanks need to be empty. You can pour some antifreeze in the grey and black tanks to lower freeze point if they're not completely empty.

Maybe someone else knows better trick for getting chlorine in tank, sorry that's only way I know if you don't have a tank fill.

Hope this helps, if not it's ok, ask what you don't understand, more than happy to help!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Besides filling the hose with Clorox, there is another way. Some online garden supply shops have a venturi devise to put inline with your hose to suck fertilizer into the hose stream. It would work with the Clorox solution too. I am cheap enough that filling the hose with Clorox through a funnel is not too big a chore for me.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 01-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #7

THOR #5196
You don't need to use that much, one cup is plenty!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
If you are just winterizing all you need to do is drain the fresh tank as much as possible, the little left wont hurt anything if it freezes. If you are travelling and have water in the tank it will not freeze even if you dont have heat. The sloshing around will stop it. Same reason rivers dont freeze until temps drop into the sub zero range and even then only the surface freezes. Water sealed in an area where it can not expand is your enemy. either leave the pump off and a faucet open or drain the system. You can always pour a little antifreeze into the toilet to keep it from forming a block of ice that wont let you flush if the heat is off.
If you use bleach to sanitize the tank use a big bottle of hydrogen peroxide with the rinse, it will get rid of the chlorine smell and taste right away or just use concentrated hydrogen peroxide for the sterilization. Its much less corrosive and not harmful to humans but more expensive.