Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Experience with trailer hitch cargo carriers?

We've never used one, but now commute between two homes in MN and AZ and find the storage tight on our Thor Axis 24.1 . Lots of carriers for sale - anybody have actual experiences pro or con on a similar RV?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-12-2016, 02:15 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
I used to have one behind my SUV. I found one on amazon that was 60" wide and 24" deep. Then they sell a bag that was the same size and 24" tall. It was amazing how much it fit and kept everything clean and dry. for both was like $220
The problem is its not secure. If you wanted something secure you need to get a hard sided one but those get pricy.

To keep it from wobbleing I would put a strap to bumper one side.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:36 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
My opinion is to look into a small enclosed trailer. Something around 4x6 or 5x8. you wont even notice it behind your rig and will carry a boat load of stuff, dry and secure. Here's mine a 6x10. I haul a big motorcycle and 2 bicycles and have a ton of room for whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160812_145258.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2984  
Old 09-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #4

THOR #2667
thanks, gentlebrian and penguin... I know we don't want to tow anything, so the trailer is out. We really don't plan to move furniture or anything... just might have a little more stuff than fits into the compartments. The security is one of our concerns - I'm thinking a lot of rope to make casual theft difficult - and not putting anything too valuable outside in the carrier...

anybody else used one of these on their RV... and any brand recommendations. My buddy has one on his Roadtrek and swears by it - but it was custom made for him by his son...
Old 09-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
thanks, gentlebrian and penguin... I know we don't want to tow anything, so the trailer is out. We really don't plan to move furniture or anything... just might have a little more stuff than fits into the compartments. The security is one of our concerns - I'm thinking a lot of rope to make casual theft difficult - and not putting anything too valuable outside in the carrier...

anybody else used one of these on their RV... and any brand recommendations. My buddy has one on his Roadtrek and swears by it - but it was custom made for him by his son...
Try getting a pick up truck tool box that you can bolt onto the hitch cargo carrier. It will provide security and be weatherproof.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
We carry a Cricket on ours. Rated for 500 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	2986  
Old 09-13-2016, 02:22 AM   #7

THOR #2667
Penguin - thanks - good tip... never thought of re-purposing a truck tool box.

And hittntheroad... that Cricket is cute-cute-cute! Thanks for the photo!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:31 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
...cut...

I also use one behind my van as needed -- normally for longer trips to carry more stuff. Mine started out as a standard hitch carrier, approximately 60 X 24 inches and rated for up to 500 pounds -- although I would never place more than about half that on it.

I modified it by removing the center square tube that goes in vehicle's hitch receiver, and installed two tubes about 3 feet apart that go into custom dual receivers. That gives me all the weight carrying capacity I'd ever need, plus it keeps it from rocking.

I also have a large lockable and weather resistant poly enclosed box that easily clips into carrier so I can install it or remove it in seconds. If staying at campground multiple days I may remove it so I can open the van's rear doors. The polyethylene box just happens to be a good size to double as a coffee table at CG. On a motorhome without rear doors it wouldn't be necessary to move it out of the way so I would have just bolted it down.

In the last couple of years I've seen some very large enclosed storage boxes for motorhomes that caught my attention as a possible upgrade. Some are large enough to carry multiple bikes. Unfortunately I don't have personal experience with any of them.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:32 AM   #9

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
I tow one rated for 500# behind my truck at times. Often to keep contents dry and clean I'll use the big coolers used on my charter boat. I don't trust bungi cords or rope. I'll use ratchet tie downs. If going to be out of sight I'll use cable and a lock.

Edgewater 205 EXP
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote