Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Forum Admin and Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: New Hampshire
THOR #7347
Question Gray Water leak

while camping,gray water valve is leaking when closed. Left valve open during that trip. Replaced it. Thought I could feel water on the pipe adjacent to the valve. Coated it with a rubber coating just in case there might be a crack or something, went 24 hrs without leaking now leaking again when I added water to the tank. Any Ideas? Am hoping to fix it myself as RV repairs are costly, as I am finding out

Old 06-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Is the water outside the pipe, or just leaking through the valve into the sewer hose? Do you find water in the pipe after storage, when you remove the cap to connect the hose?
Old 06-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #3

THOR #7347
Smile

Hi LACO- water is outside the pipe and collects in the compartment. It visibly drips off the low point of the valve slip hub mount when the valve is closed.When valve is open there is no leakage and water flows into the drain pipe. We had noticed some water collection (not a lot) in the pipe after storage in the past.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #4

THOR #5821
Probably pipe has small crack in it. I fought that for years in my last coach, using all kinds of sealers, glue, tape, and all were only temporary fixes. Finally had a mobile guy come out and replace that section of pipe. Problem solved. You don't say how old your coach is, but if its new enough, it should be a warrantee fix.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #5

THOR #7347
thanks for the info Laco. I did remove the valve again today and found I had pinched the rubber gasket within the valve. I ordered new gaskets and will try to replace them again. If no success will change the plumbing. Our unit is a 2014, manufactured and purchased by the original owner in 2013. We purchased it in 2015. best regards.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #6

THOR #5821
I have had that internal gasket fail, but that should not cause water or wet spots on the outside of the pipe, only a leak-though when the valve is closed. Is the external leak right at the valve housing, can you tell? Guess its possible the gasket at the pipe flange is failing, though if its tight, and the housings are not damaged, it should be water tight. Anything is possible with plumbing!
Old 06-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #7

THOR #7347
Smile gray water leak under control ?

no longer have water on outside of pipe after coating it. replaced pinched gasket, reassembled. Leaked again but on Left side this time. took it apart again and happened to notice right side fitting (tank out flow pipe) was 3/16 lower than Left side fitting. put it back together while applying upward pressure on right side. No leaks. ran 15-20 gallons of water thru the valve while opening and closing it numerous times. No leaks. Added 10 gallons to the tank, drove around today, No leaks . if it leaks again I will redo the right side plumbing.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
I had my black tank drain valve leak by, removed both valves. could not get them back into place. Being black and gray tanks side by side and ridged. I remove 1/4" of the neck on both tanks. replaced the old hose clamps. turned both valves around 90*. reapplied the plumbers putty. But what I found inside the tanks was a foot long piece of dried glue. and broken off pieces of glue. as well as glued splattered on the valves themselves. So now both valves hold and if I was to replace the valves it would be easy next time.