Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Forum Admin and Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Help

The forum is being spammed. About half the time I am on here I get a pop up and hit cancel and it takes me somewhere else. And it is only on this forum. Here is a screen shot of it.

HELP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC34FBE1-6DFA-49A6-B11A-4FA0D686E6CF.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	14543  

Old 12-10-2018, 05:11 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
you have malware/spyware. happens to me from time to time on any website.

clean you computer using CCleaner and Glary utilitys. might as well run a virus scan (windows defender works fine for me) and then restart the machine. should fix it.

your screenshot is of an apple device yes? contrary to popular belief, apple produts get virus's just like PC's do.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #3

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
you have malware/spyware. happens to me from time to time on any website.

clean you computer using CCleaner and Glary utilitys. might as well run a virus scan (windows defender works fine for me) and then restart the machine. should fix it.

your screenshot is of an apple device yes? contrary to popular belief, apple produts get virus's just like PC's do.
Yes it is on an Apple iPad. But strangely enough it is only on this site and not any other website.

I would think if it was malware it would be attached to my browser not a specific website.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #4

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
THOR #7010
I was having a similar problem on my home network and it turned out to be the DNS servers that I was using (Comcast). I switched to Google’s DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and the problem went away. It’s a setting on your router admin- you don’t have to use your ISPs DNS servers, it perfectly fine to pick a third party.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
I was having a similar problem on my home network and it turned out to be the DNS servers that I was using (Comcast). I switched to Google’s DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and the problem went away. It’s a setting on your router admin- you don’t have to use your ISPs DNS servers, it perfectly fine to pick a third party.
English please... LOL

I’m on cellular WiFi. Which I,have routed through a WiFi router. So this can be selective to 1 out of millions of websites? Just seems odd to me.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #6

THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
English please... LOL

I’m on cellular WiFi. Which I,have routed through a WiFi router. So this can be selective to 1 out of millions of websites? Just seems odd to me.

That's funny in a geeky way because DNS is what takes english and turns it into computer speak. When you type thorforums.com (the "domain name"), it's the Domain Name Service (DNS) that sends you to the computer that hosts it. It's the internet version of an operator to connect your call. (One ringy dingy....) Sometimes these can be tricked/hacked into sending you to the wrong place. In essence you get a wrong number.

Log into your wifi router and go to the setup. You'll find DNS in there someplace. It will already have IP addresses in there- these are the computer addresses for the operator! Because there are many many operators managed by many different companies/entities, they can't all use 0 like the old phone monopoly. Theres usually two DNS- main one and backup. Write these down in case you want to revert later. Replace them with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and save. These are managed by Google. Then reboot the router.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
That's funny in a geeky way because DNS is what takes english and turns it into computer speak. When you type thorforums.com (the "domain name"), it's the Domain Name Service (DNS) that sends you to the computer that hosts it. It's the internet version of an operator to connect your call. (One ringy dingy....) Sometimes these can be tricked/hacked into sending you to the wrong place. In essence you get a wrong number.

Log into your wifi router and go to the setup. You'll find DNS in there someplace. It will already have IP addresses in there- these are the computer addresses for the operator! Because there are many many operators managed by many different companies/entities, they can't all use 0 like the old phone monopoly. Theres usually two DNS- main one and backup. Write these down in case you want to revert later. Replace them with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and save. These are managed by Google. Then reboot the router.
Thanks, I will look into that. Ding, round over....
Old 12-29-2018, 02:53 AM   #8

THOR #7010
Quote:
Thanks, I will look into that. Ding, round over....

Curious if you changed your DNS and if it improved your spamming pop ups?
Old 12-29-2018, 05:21 AM   #9

THOR #1658
Quote:
Curious if you changed your DNS and if it improved your spamming pop ups?
I never did it and it stopped. Strange....
Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
There is a particularly annoying adware cookie that affects IOS users. Once cookied, you see these annoying ads here and at other sites. The solution is to clear out your cache and cookies or do a restart to purge these things. The bad news is that once you start surfing the internet you are likely to pick it up again.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 AM   #11

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There is a particularly annoying adware cookie that affects IOS users. Once cookied, you see these annoying ads here and at other sites. The solution is to clear out your cache and cookies or do a restart to purge these things. The bad news is that once you start surfing the internet you are likely to pick it up again.
Janet,
It has stopped and is working great now. I completely shut down my iPads once a week and reboot them. This site from time to time takes FOREVER to load up. And it is just this site as I am active on several other forums. Maybe you are backing up the site when that happens?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Quote:
Janet,
It has stopped and is working great now. I completely shut down my iPads once a week and reboot them. This site from time to time takes FOREVER to load up. And it is just this site as I am active on several other forums. Maybe you are backing up the site when that happens?
Thanks
We back up the site everyday but my guess is that the slow down for you after a reboot is all the images loading. these are typically cached to speed things up and the reboot clears the cache.