Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 02:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian G36
State: Florida
THOR #14953
Unhappy Intellitec Automatic Energy Select Switch

I have three boxes under the bed that are the title of this thread. I知 hearing clicking. There are the normal noises but this is new. I narrowed it down to the washer/dryer and I have turned this breaker off and the clicking stopped. Under the EMS Load status on my firefly control panel, it indicates that the dryer is on when in fact it is not due to shutting off the breaker. Is this also considered the transfer switch? Does the clicking indicate that it痴 going to need replacing? Can someone please explain what would happen if these select switches stop working? Will everything in my Coach stop? I知 also worried about maybe the wires are compromised and it might cause a fire. I am not a tech, I知 just a normal average person, so suggesting to me to try to fix, repair or replace is not in the cards. I dont mess with electricity.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyC View Post
I have three boxes under the bed that are the title of this thread. I知 hearing clicking. There are the normal noises but this is new. I narrowed it down to the washer/dryer and I have turned this breaker off and the clicking stopped. Under the EMS Load status on my firefly control panel, it indicates that the dryer is on when in fact it is not due to shutting off the breaker. Is this also considered the transfer switch? Does the clicking indicate that it痴 going to need replacing? Can someone please explain what would happen if these select switches stop working? Will everything in my Coach stop? I知 also worried about maybe the wires are compromised and it might cause a fire. I am not a tech, I知 just a normal average person, so suggesting to me to try to fix, repair or replace is not in the cards. I dont mess with electricity.

Based on your issue and your non-ability to troubleshoot or make repairs, your only option is to bring it in to a qualified RV electrician who can perform these required assessments & repairs.
Good luck.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 AM   #3

Model: Venetian G36
THOR #14953
I know that, and I intend to. I was just trying to get some input to see how serious this is or could be. Thank you for your response.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

THOR #16806
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyC View Post
I know that, and I intend to. I was just trying to get some input to see how serious this is or could be. Thank you for your response.
Me too! Mine involves the washer and cooktop on a shared circuit. Originally, for the first two years, cooktop would go off during the entire wash cycle. Okay fine. Now, for the past few months, cooktop cycles on and off very many times during wash cycle. What to do? Can’t be healthy for cooktop! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 09-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our Axis has one of these between the 120V side of the water heater and the microwave. The idea (for ours) is that when you use the microwave it turns off the 120V to the water heater. It is used to reduce the total current consumption (both parts when run through one of these can be put on a smaller breaker).

I don't hear it clicking, however, but then I never really try to listen for it (and the microwave is kind of loud anyway). My guess is that the clicking is just a relay inside switching...

Here is the datasheet on the part (pdf).

How it works (from the above sheet):
Quote:
The controls power to two appliance loads. One appliance on the
primary load is connected to the primary output and a shed-able appliance is connected to the secondary
output. The output to the secondary load is carried through a relay.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

THOR #16806
Thx for your reply. My concern is the switch may be failing because it switches almost constantly during the wash cycle now whereas it did not do that originally. This may impact the cooktop negatively, I don’t know. But it is very annoying.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiBeth View Post
Thx for your reply. My concern is the switch may be failing because it switches almost constantly during the wash cycle now whereas it did not do that originally. This may impact the cooktop negatively, I don稚 know. But it is very annoying.
Yeah if it is switching on and off while the primary is constantly on it probably needs replacing and/or service.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote