Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 01:57 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I disagree with the industry wide problem. My purchase from Krenek RV in Coloma Mi was stellar (Starcraft) and all warranty work was done without issue. My purchase from Ewings Outpost in Middlebury IN was stellar (Forest River) and all warranty work was done without issue. My purchase from Pete's RV in Schererville IN had a couple hiccups (Keystone) but overall they completed all warranty work and most of it in a reasonable amount of time. The one delay was fiberglass work that was outsourced and took longer than it really should. My purchase from Heart City in Elkhart was not that great but they are now defunct and out of business (karma). The manufacturer quickly stepped in and resolved all warranty issues (Starcraft). My Lance camper was one of the best factory experiences. They drop shipped parts at my door.

My last purchase from Tiara RV in Elkhart IN is pathetic (Thor). Neither the dealer or Thor is willing to work with me on outstanding issues unless I file a lawsuit against them and agree to give up camping for an undermined amount of time while in litigation. #ThorLacksIntegrity
I can't speak to Keystone and Starcraft, as they weren't part of what I researched prior to my purchase, but I can tell you I spent a lot of time on ForestRiverForums and the frustration from their customers, both in terms of QC and getting repairs, mirrors what we see on this forum.

I've spent enough time on IRV2 over the last year to know it clearly is an industry wide problem.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:03 AM   #22

State: California
THOR #9612
If the work was being done, I would be good, but 1/2 the warranty work has been approved, I place I bought it from hasn't submitted the rest, the work that needs to be done prevents me from taking the RV out. THOR needs to step up there quality control but sucks, inspection stickers and the item is falling,
Old 11-13-2017, 02:12 AM   #23

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Honestly, you asked for advise. Several of us here spent the time to respond and provide you advise from some of our experiences. Take it or not but we are not the folks holding up the repairs. I stand by the advise I gave you. Follow it or don't but it is the way we found our way through the maze. If not, ask your lawyer for advise - price is probably a little higher than the folks on this forum.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:13 AM   #24

THOR #9612
Sorry just frustrated,
Old 11-13-2017, 02:37 AM   #25

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad523 View Post
Giant RV, California
I am sorry to say I am not surprised about Giant RV... Each time we took our Axis in during the first year, I took it in for them to document what I needed done and then waited for authorization and parts to come in, verified via email with the service writer. Once that occurred, I took it in for the installs and repairs. We did buy an extended warranty and don't use the dealership when something comes up anymore. I also have to say that I was never impressed with how they documented the service write-ups (seemed to miss things even after discussing specifics) or their work. PM me if you want a recommendation where to take your rig after the first year is up. Hang in there.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #26

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
minored
You talked about a gfi that keeps tripping and it is known issues so what was the fix I have issue with my gfi in a 35 sk fourwinds
Old 11-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #27

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
-After a small instance of what you have related above I figured out that you MUST be your own best advocate. I was a motor officer in a mech unit while serving in the US Army for more years than I care to think about and it is the process I used in there. It is sorta like Ronald Reagan said "trust but verify". Here is what I recommend:

"You must be your own best advocate with Consumer Service Reps. Start that process trying to understand what is wrong - note this not always what is broken - and then what needs to be done to repair. If you've got a local service center that can do the work, give them a call AND THEN CALL THOR CSR. If you cannot find someone that can do the work, GIVE THOR CSR A CALL. Most times they can help find someone to do the repair. Don't stop there. Find out from service exactly what it is, that is going to be repaired and ask the question about status of parts. Then call Thor CSRs to confirm the status of the repair to make sure the service center and Thor agree. Repair information like - when will parts be shipped, received, installed and finished. If you cannot get fairly specific info, chances are your repair is what the tech industry use to call "Vapor" - not really there.

Lots of horror stories on on-line forums of folks that leave their coach at repair for days, weeks, months only to not get repair done.

The process above is what we used and Thor always came through for us on everything from leveling system overall to blown out window."

Hope this helps.

This has to be the best and most helpful advice I have seen on this or any other forum. Kudos to bigben! This should be drilled into every RV owner's brain before they take their RV for service. Deserves a sticky!

Thor came through for us when we had problems, experience with dealers varied widely.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:34 AM   #28

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Exactly
Old 10-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #29

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Fixing it yourself is great... if you have the mechanical skills for it!
Since I don't: I'm left in the position of learning what I can about the rig, taking it to the dealer for repairs, and knowing when to ask the important questions.
Yeah, I thought I could finally close up my toolbox and my little books for shortcuts, not have to worry anymore...
Then I bought a motorhome. Good thing is you learn a lot of free info on this site.