Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #7960
Smile Retiring soon

Hi everyone!

I'm Elaine and will be retiring in a couple more years. I thought I would get a jump on the forums early so I can learn. I'm planning on purchasing the Vegas 25.2. How does everyone like theirs. Is it easy to go shopping a break camp? How about boondocking? I will be a full timer.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:08 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
We own at 24.1 and it's kind of like driving a UPS delivery truck. We generally don't have problems finding parking spaces in Malls and Shopping Centers as long as they are not too full. One nice perk is you can fix your own meals and take a quick nap in a parking lot.

Breaking camp shouldn't be different than larger or smaller rigs since you still have to disconnect the same hookups.

If you're planning on full timing you should consider towing a dinghy car. It's an extra hassle when travelling, but once you've decided to camp in a spot for more than a few days having a regular car is much more convenient than disconnecting your rig and risk losing your spot just to go to buy milk. If you plan to carry pets it also allows you to leave them in the rig hooked up to electricity with the AC running on hot days.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If even considering an Axis/Vegas unit go download Ed's crowd sourced manual: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
You'll learn everything there is to know about them.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
We own at 24.1 and it's kind of like driving a UPS delivery truck...
Off topic but all that comes to mind is Dale Jarrett and "We want to race the truck!" lol
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmetheboss View Post
Hi everyone! I'm Elaine and will be retiring in a couple more years. I thought I would get a jump on the forums early so I can learn. I'm planning on purchasing the Vegas 25.2. How does everyone like theirs. Is it easy to go shopping a break camp? How about boondocking? I will be a full timer.

Welcome to the forum! We traded a 33' Class A for a 2016 Vegas 25.2 just over 2 years ago, and call it our Goldilocks coach, not too big, not too small, just right (for us and the way we travel)!

We wouldn't consider a corner bed, and really like the walk around queen and bigger shower that the 25.2 has. We pull a small car four down (no dolly) and the Vegas has served us well for long trips and short.

I have a checklist for trip preparation, and another one for departure. Breaking camp is easier with a list, and only takes a few minutes.

You can search for previous comments on boondocking. If you are asking about a night in a truck stop, rest area, store or restaurant parking lot, there are mixed opinions. We have slept in front of many WMts and Cracker Barrels, and saved a lot of money.

There are several forums and blogs devoted to living and traveling full time in an RV. You'll learn a lot from them!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Arkansas
THOR #15748
Love, love, love our Vegas 25.3! Just completed a 5188 mile roundtrip from Houston to Yakima.... Boondocked most of the way. Perfect size to navigate cities, venue parking lots ... Just anywhere! (No toad necessary). Marveled on several occasions how, had we a bigger rig, we could not have experienced what we did. Rig performed exactly as we had hoped for. P.S.:. I did ALL the driving!
Old 09-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Everything Mr Sunshine said is exactly how we feel about our 25.2..

The size of the shower, the walk around bed, and the fact that you dont have to extend side slides to be able to access the bulk of the coach makes the 25.2 perfect for us two humans and two pups...
Old 09-03-2019, 01:54 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #4816
Elaine, welcome to the Forum. I'm sure from what's already been posted you can tell that this is a great group of RVers willing to help each other.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
It may be a good idea to start asking a lot of questions now. Like you, I joined the forum before I bought. This place is wall to wall with GREAT people and if you're ever in a pinch, they'll be all over it like bees on honey trying to help.

I full time in a Chateau 31L (33ft bumper to bumper) and found it has too much room for one person. I could have gotten away with a lot less length but it had everything I wanted when I bought it, save an inverter. For that, I have to say I haven't missed it yet. In fact, I have 700W portable sitting in a box in the overhead cab that sits in the box.

I will caution you to think through 4 down towing. My personal experience has been that the tow bar gets heavier every time I use it. They do have options where you can leave it mounted to the RV but I didn't go that route and now look to making it a permanent fold away. There's also additional equipment to consider like wiring for the toad's lights and a power source for the aux braking system so it doesn't draw on the toad battery.

Let us know what you need to know and we'll do the best we can. For now, it's time for a little schoolin'

Best of luck and safe travels.