Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #41
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyone View Post
Thanks much! My first trip was a big one...went to Utah. I just bought a Chevy Spark to tow...I think that has upped my level of nervousness...thinking about hooking and unhooking tow car. Perhaps I need to stop thinking so much!
HI Lizzy! this is Kay...Ron and I are seniors, who have been rving for about 30 yrs . As we have aged, I have become more active in our Motorhome adventures and have learned all about our Axis and now..our new-to-us towing experience. In June, we bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ to tow, and yesterday, we had the tow package installed w/braking system. thus learning something new ! Towing is not new to us as for many years, we have towed an enclosed trailer for our motorcycles. However...there is a learning curve to towing a car/Jeep...and I am sure you have been well schooled . I was nervous about the hookup/unhook yesterday..but all went well and we are looking forward to our next trip ! ENJOY YOUR ADVENTURE AND REMEMBER...reach out to us in the Forum ANYTIME ! we are here for you ! The members have sooooo much knowledge based on personal experience....tap into it ! Then share !! HAPPY CAMPING !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOAD JEEP july 17.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	19034  

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #42

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
HI Lizzy! this is Kay...Ron and I are seniors, who have been rving for about 30 yrs . As we have aged, I have become more active in our Motorhome adventures and have learned all about our Axis and now..our new-to-us towing experience. In June, we bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ to tow, and yesterday, we had the tow package installed w/braking system. thus learning something new ! Towing is not new to us as for many years, we have towed an enclosed trailer for our motorcycles. However...there is a learning curve to towing a car/Jeep...and I am sure you have been well schooled . I was nervous about the hookup/unhook yesterday..but all went well and we are looking forward to our next trip ! ENJOY YOUR ADVENTURE AND REMEMBER...reach out to us in the Forum ANYTIME ! we are here for you ! The members have sooooo much knowledge based on personal experience....tap into it ! Then share !! HAPPY CAMPING !
Keep us updated on the "learning curve" on towing the jeep..

I am nervous about not being able to backup when towing...

(been having nightmares about getting stuck at Flying J)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:53 AM   #43
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Keep us updated on the "learning curve" on towing the jeep..

I am nervous about not being able to backup when towing...

(been having nightmares about getting stuck at Flying J)

Hi Mike ! This is the way we looked at...Ron has pulled the enclosed trailer..which with the tongue is about the same length as the Jeep n tongue...so he is accustomed to finding a pump which is convenient...easy in and especially, easy out....he does not like to backup anyway...so NOT being able to back up with the Jeep in tow is easy for us...I scout out where we are going with Google Maps Satellite view...therefore, we are reasonably comfortable before we get there. Being the navigator gives me something to do while going down the road...using my iPad...and having the Garmin on duty too, just in case we loose phone signal. …. when we had the Toyhauler...we got parked in once while stopping for lunch...you only do that once !! Now, we find a huge parking lot and walk to wherever we are going within reason !!
With that said...we are looking forward to our first extended trip, where we can actually stay at a convenient campground as a home base and jump in the jeep and go wherever we want !!

We will definitely keep you posted !!

Kay and Ron
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #44

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We tow A Jeep Cherokee behind our ACE. Having towed Boat trailers for 40 years I knew towing was not going to be a problem. The not being able to back out was my concern. I have come to the conclusion if push comes to shove It isn’t that big an issue, though it is inconvenient, We will unhook the Jeep and move on from there. Enjoy the ride. Mark