Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #81

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
When we had our Chateau on the E450 chassis I looked up the Dana axle # and it was rated for 11,000 lbs. So the tires are definitely a weak point that it is rated at 9,600. I had also added helper bump stops that were rated at 1,000 lbs a piece. I don't think anyone is condoning running way over capacity it's just that the tires are at full capacity all the time.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7650.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	10664

Working well so far.

mac ‘tires, tires, and more tires’ gyvr
Old 06-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #83

THOR #7936
I put almost 500 miles on the tires over last weekend pulling the Jeep on the trailer. They drove fine. They drove much like the Michelins. We had a bunch of rain and no issues with them.

My old ones are forsale if anyone near NE Indiana is interested. They had 8,999 miles on them and a spare with no miles on it.

mac 'here's to the weight rating holding up' gyvr
Old 06-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #84

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
guessing based on my 31 ft and the loading we have, with nothing particularly special or excessive in it
with all that trailer tongue weight of that big trailer and jeep.... no way that rear axle isn't overloaded...unless maybe if the rear of that RV is gutted and empty. I'd agree, you need all the bonus capacity you can wrangle
Maybe you don't want to share online, but i'm wondering if you've weighed that rig with typical camping load and the trailer and jeep loaded?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #85

THOR #7936
I’d post the weight slip if tapatalk wasn’t being dumb.

Front axle: 4520
Rear axle: 10660
Trailer axle: 5860
Gross weight: 21040

mac ‘hence why I upgraded tires’ gyvr
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #86

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
I’d post the weight slip if tapatalk wasn’t being dumb.

Front axle: 4520
Rear axle: 10660
Trailer axle: 5860
Gross weight: 21040

mac ‘hence why I upgraded tires’ gyvr

now that is shocking...you are heavier on both drive and steer, but not so much more than what mine was running with no trailer the last time I checked!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #87

THOR #7936
I have some things in the RV moved to the cab over area to help distribute weight better. I bought an aluminum trailer last fall to help with things. I do not have my weight distribution hitch set up on it yet, so I'm hoping that will help as well move a little more weight to the front axle. I also have the Jeep back as far as I'm comfortable on the trailer to lessen tongue weight.

I still want to get my golf cart on the front of the trailer, but I can move the Jeep back more to help with that. My trailer is 10k axles so I can put more weight on the axles.

mac 'trying to stay under 22k' gyvr
Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #88

THOR #7936
Just an update, I have over 1500 miles on the Nexen tires. Things are still good.

We didn't use the RV as much toward the end of the summer as normal because we were saving for a trip out west that we took with my truck pulling the jeep and trailer and stayed in a cabin.

We will put more miles on it next summer...I hope.

mac 'no regrets' gyvr
Old 11-29-2019, 04:31 AM   #89

THOR #7936
5000 miles on the Nexens. Things are still going well. No complaints.

mac 'the big load of 2019' gyvr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2485.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	21653  
Old 11-30-2019, 06:06 AM   #90

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: New York
THOR #7582
I was unable to get the Nexens locally. None of the local Nexen dealers had the ability (or desire) to properly install truck tires. I was able to locate a set of Continentals and a dealer to install them. They were not my first choice, they're more expensive and Continental products in general are not rated as highly as the Nexens. The specs as identical however so I went for them. I now have over 6K on them and they're doing fine. I've driven them through heavy rain, 115 degree desert heat and cruised at 70mph without a hiccup. For my fellow Northeasteners, there are States that allow that. I was actually under the speed limit. I have no complaints and I sleep better at night. I have not and will not drive my MH in snow or ice so don't ask.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #91

THOR #7936
I bought the Nexen's online and took it all to my local discount tire. They put them on and I bought their road hazard/lifetime rotate and balance on the tires.

They told me that they could order them should I ever need one.

mac 'peace of mind' gyvr
Old 11-30-2019, 08:12 PM   #92

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Before I traded in my Outlaw 29H, I was going to pull the trigger in these after the Rickson 17.5” custom rims were no longer available.

These are a commercially rated tire designed for heavy loads all the time and beefed up sidewalks. Much better than the stock 16” LT tires that come on the Class C’s.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...tude-ht-c-type
Old 12-05-2019, 01:23 AM   #93

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
I've been happy with my Nexen Roadian Pro RA8 LT235/85R16E all terrain tires on my Outlaw 29H. I've put close to 20K miles on them now, from AZ to AK and Maine to FL and back to AZ, then on a few shorter trips around AZ/UT/CA. 3042lbs @ 80PSI load rating vs the OEM rating of 2680lbs - I don't worry about loads with the RV fully loaded and carrying 2 motorcycles in the garage. They've performed well and no signs of tread cupping etc. I'll probably get between 40-50K miles out of them.

What's interesting to me is the Nexen 'ratings' for the RA8 vs the CT8. The RA8 is a mild AT tread and the CT8 a 'commercial' road rib you would think it would have a higher tread, fuel, etc rating. They are both same load rating.

RA8:

CT8:
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #94

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Curious as to why you guys chose 17.5 wheels instead of 19.5? I know the 19.5 conversions are rare but so are the 17.5

17.5 was and is a typical Heavy duty trailer tire size where the 19.5 has almost unlimited choices for heavy loads

the 17.5 wheels posted do look very nice and it appears you guys are happy but still curious
Old 12-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #95

THOR #7936
On a Class C where room is limited the 19.5 would be too big...

mac 'at least in my research' gyvr
Old 12-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #96

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
Quote:
On a Class C where room is limited the 19.5 would be too big...

mac 'at least in my research' gyvr
My 235/85-16 tires are about 31.7" in diameter and a 225/70-19.5 would be 31.9" so it's probably doable.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #97

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadv View Post
My 235/85-16 tires are about 31.7" in diameter and a 225/70-19.5 would be 31.9" so it's probably doable.
Ok

Who makes a 19.5 dually rim that fits the E450 chassis...

mac 'never mind the 3 inches of sidewall lost' gyvr
Old 12-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #98

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
My F450 and F550 came with factory 19.5 wheels and I picked up extras at the salvage yard

You loose sidewall so if you're dependent on soft tire for the ride it isn't for you

If you want heavy duty tires that is what you get
Old 06-19-2020, 01:30 AM   #99

Brand: Jayco
Model: 3100ss Granite Ridge
THOR #19244
Glad I found this post

Quote:
Attachment 10664

Working well so far.

mac ‘tires, tires, and more tires’ gyvr

I Just got an older Jayco 3100 Granite Ridge and I tow a 7x16 Trailer with motorcycle and tools. I had previously had a Winnie Minnie 24 ft with same trailer and had bought new GY Wrangler HT's that I had very good luck with.

When I got the jayco it had 6 year old tires so I swapped the 2 yr old 5k mile GY Wrangler HT and put the jayco tires on the Winnie and sold it. That guy drove the Winnie from Fla.to Cali with NO problems

I drive 100 miles and blow up an inner rear. I know I am overweight with added tongue weight over 500#

I was about to get Michelin XPS Ribs as I saw a guy who had same problems I did and he was very happy after he went thru 2 blowups (2nd time with 6 new tires) and 2 black tanks. But those Tires are $275 ea

I saw a YouTube video of a guy who was talking about the 121 load rate with the C designation. Then I finally saw this post and ordered 4 Nexens CT8 HL for the DRW at $135 ea free ship.

I hope yours are still working well.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #100

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle1 View Post
(snip) I saw a YouTube video of a guy who was talking about the 121 load rate with the C designation. Then I finally saw this post and ordered 4 Nexens CT8 HL for the DRW at $135 ea free ship.

I hope yours are still working well.
Mine are still holding up well. I have only put another 500 miles on the RV since last fall, with the 'rona, we have stayed close to home and had access to some local property to camp on, so not much traveling long distance.

mac 'I'd do it again' gyvr