Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2022, 06:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #26615
Install 2nd AC on 2010 Hurricane 31G (Pre-Write)

Hello everyone.

I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I have a 2010 Hurricane 31G (it's four winds, with Thor branded all over it, and it is labeled as a wind storm, but DMV paperwork is all listed as hurricane -- they are basically all the same.

The 31G has 2 bunk beds just outside the bedroom, and this is a dual slide out model.

The bedroom is pre-wired for a 2nd air conditioner. It has a thermostat on the wall, that is wired to the AC space (the bedroom skylight). Next to the skylight is a 1 gang box in the ceiling, labeled as power for 2nd AC unit, inside it is the 20AWG wiring.

So, today I removed the skylight and installed my 2nd AC unit. I wired in the thermostat, and ran the electrical to power the unit, but the power line is dead -- no power.

Under the foot of the bed is the electrical box. There is only one breaker for AC, and that power line does not control the AC power line in the rear of the unit.

The wiring that is there runs into the ceiling space and toward the driver side. I thought it may go down the wall, and into the power center, but it does not. So the next step for me is to search around, and ask for help here.

I am not sure how to trace the power line, with no power in it, so I am hoping someone here knows where the other end of the wire is.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
When Thor prewires things, they typically run the wiring to the electronic bay and it terminates there.... usually with electrical tape on the ends.

Each A/C units requires its own circuit breaker. You need to look behind the Power Center for the terminated 20AWG wiring. Then you would need to add another circuit breaker to your Power Center and then connect the neutral to the bussbar and the hot to the new breaker as well as the ground.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #3

THOR #26615
Thank you.

I did open the breaker panel and expose the wires and bus bar. There is no room for an extra breaker, so that will be interesting to get modified. Also the wire is no in there. And when I checked under the bed where the auto transfer relay is, and all the wiring to the breaker panel, I do not see the 20 wag wire there either. Still, I will take another look. Maybe open up from the back side of the breaker box and see if it is hiding there.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:23 AM   #4

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by apwelsh View Post
Thank you.

I did open the breaker panel and expose the wires and bus bar. There is no room for an extra breaker, so that will be interesting to get modified. Also the wire is no in there. And when I checked under the bed where the auto transfer relay is, and all the wiring to the breaker panel, I do not see the 20 wag wire there either. Still, I will take another look. Maybe open up from the back side of the breaker box and see if it is hiding there.

Typical Thor protocol is to create a rats nest of wiring behind the power control center. They will typically terminate pre-wired options near the area where they would be connected.

My Outlaw 29H was a mess but I was able to eventually find my solar pre-wire. The wiring on my Magnitude was not quite as bad.

You are going to need to decide how you want to add another breaker. You could upgrade your power center, which would add cost and effort to the project. Or you could consider adding a separate 20A circuit that you would plug into the pedestal along with your shore power cable.

Unless you have an existing breaker for another accessory you don’t use and you want to replace it with the second A/C unit.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:56 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
My 29m also has the wires in place... but I'm sure being only 30amp it wont work to add second ac without a separate shore power and tstat.
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:21 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hello everyone.

I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I have a 2010 Hurricane 31G (it's four winds, with Thor branded all over it, and it is labeled as a wind storm, but DMV paperwork is all listed as hurricane -- they are basically all the same.

The 31G has 2 bunk beds just outside the bedroom, and this is a dual slide out model.

The bedroom is pre-wired for a 2nd air conditioner. It has a thermostat on the wall, that is wired to the AC space (the bedroom skylight). Next to the skylight is a 1 gang box in the ceiling, labeled as power for 2nd AC unit, inside it is the 20AWG wiring.

So, today I removed the skylight and installed my 2nd AC unit. I wired in the thermostat, and ran the electrical to power the unit, but the power line is dead -- no power.

Under the foot of the bed is the electrical box. There is only one breaker for AC, and that power line does not control the AC power line in the rear of the unit.

The wiring that is there runs into the ceiling space and toward the driver side. I thought it may go down the wall, and into the power center, but it does not. So the next step for me is to search around, and ask for help here.

I am not sure how to trace the power line, with no power in it, so I am hoping someone here knows where the other end of the wire is.
Get you one of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Tracer.png
Views:	74
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	37147

Connect to the end you see and trace the wire to where it goes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:53 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclbud View Post
My 29m also has the wires in place... but I'm sure being only 30amp it wont work to add second ac without a separate shore power and tstat.
If you have 30 amp most likely the wires you are seeing is 12vt for a fan. You'll need to pull those wires and add the proper size for a/c and run the wires to a separate receptacle. 15 or 20 amp then a power cord to the pedestal

I did this to my 29m. Worked great

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:59 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Are you sure the wires are for an additional a/c and not a fan

20ga is to small for 15amp. It should be 14 ga

Is your main power now 50 amp or 30 amp???? I'm guessing 30 amp which is why you don't have space for the additional a/c

When I added my 2nd a/c I had wires per run from the factory only for a fan. I had to run 14ga up to the unit and outside. I used two power cables. For fir the mh and the second just for the new a/c
Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:35 AM   #9

THOR #26615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclbud View Post
In my case it can, because I replaced the main unit too. Total desert load of both units is well below the 30 amps, and with soft start it is safe.

The main unit is a installed is a Mach 3 PowerSaver 13,500 BTU, which is 11.8Amps dessert load (no heat pump), and the 2nd unit I added is a Mach 10 NDQ at 12.8 amps desert load. Or a total desert load of 24,6 amps. I just need to make sure when we do run the 2nd unit, we do t run the microwave,. But, I also would be fine with a 2nd 20 amp circuit just for the 2nd AC unit, and I do not need the 2nd AC unit to operate off the generator.

Am I missing something? Don’t want to overload the system, and as the fridge and TVs are all brand new with very low wattage systems, I think the only real load contending for power is the microwave. Still it would be a good idea to meter the load the verify.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:40 AM   #10

THOR #26615
20 gauge was a typo. I meant 12 AWG / 20amp. I’ll go fix that. Iw
Was frustrated and exhausted. I just finished getting the 2nd unit fully functional Al on the generator. Tomorrow I replace the main unit with my new one. Funnny thing about the 2nd unit, I could t get it running then today I check the power with a probe, and found all power is good, so I double checked the thermostat wires and found they were good. I opened the thermostat (it was pre-installed) and wires all looked then. Then I noticed the fuse. It was blown, and the dang thing is an in-standard 2amp fuse. I replaced it with a fast blow 5amp for my testing while I wait for the right fuse to arrive. It works great.

Next step is the main unit replacement, then to trace out that 2nd AC power line to figure out why it’s direct wires to the generator.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:44 AM   #11

THOR #26615
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Get you one of these:

Attachment 37147

Connect to the end you see and trace the wire to where it goes.
I had no idea they were so cheap now. I have been doing it the hard way. I will get one for sure.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
When Thor prewires things, they typically run the wiring to the electronic bay and it terminates there.... usually with electrical tape on the ends.

Each A/C units requires its own circuit breaker. You need to look behind the Power Center for the terminated 20AWG wiring. Then you would need to add another circuit breaker to your Power Center and then connect the neutral to the bussbar and the hot to the new breaker as well as the ground.

Good catch on the fan..... for some reason I was thinking he was seeing wiring that would support a 20A circuit vs 20AWG sized wiring. That's what I get for trying to think before my second cup of coffee!
Old 04-27-2022, 04:51 PM   #13

THOR #26615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Good catch on the fan..... for some reason I was thinking he was seeing wiring that would support a 20A circuit vs 20AWG sized wiring. That's what I get for trying to think before my second cup of coffee!
One brain fried typo Carrie’s too far, too late….

I have 12AWG romex wire. (They don’t even make 20 gauge romex that I have ever seen). 12AWG wire is good for 20 amp loads.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #14

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
One brain fried typo Carrie’s too far, too late….

I have 12AWG romex wire. (They don’t even make 20 gauge romex that I have ever seen). 12AWG wire is good for 20 amp loads.
Does your build out sheet specify the coach is prewired for the second AC?

Since the wire is there you would think it was

The last AC I added was in our Landmark, a 50amp 5th wheel, and the 12 gauge was there but no thermostat wire

The build sheet specified that is was prewired for the second AC as well
Old 04-27-2022, 05:52 PM   #15

THOR #9178
Quote:
Thank you.

All of the existing breakers in use?

Several RV's I have owned had extra breakers in place such as holding tank heat pads
Old 04-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
All Thor MC plant 750 coaches of 31 ft or less built prior January 2016 were 30 amp coaches. To my knowledge none had a two A/C option. If it were a factory option, there would be a 5500 watt generator (and not the standard 4000 watt generator) as well as some sort of load shedding device for shore power. This system was standard on the pre 2015 32 and 34 ft coaches with the 50 amp power center being an expensive option. I suggest that the dealer or PO had a second unit installed and probably setup shore power use only.
My coach (November 2015 build) was a 30 amp coach. After the first trip from KY to FL in March 2016, it became evident that a 50 amp power center and second A/C were necessary for summer travel. I bought a Mach 8 heat pump for the bedroom and left the standard Mach 15 as the main A/C.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #17

THOR #26615
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Does your build out sheet specify the coach is prewired for the second AC?
I bought a 2010 in 2020, from 2nd owner. I have no manuals or documents beyond the pink slip. But in the ceiling there box the romex is in says it is for an AC unit, but amperage rating is not filled in (probably because there is no breaker yet)
Also the thermostat is pre-mounted and pre-wired.
Finally, it is well known that this model has a 3nd AC option, and is pre-wired for the optional upgrade. That is why I am asking here, hoping others have gone through this.

Quote:
Since the wire is there you would think it was

The last AC I added was in our Landmark, a 50amp 5th wheel, and the 12 gauge was there but no thermostat wire

The build sheet specified that is was prewired for the second AC as well
Yes, as I don’t have a build sheet, I can’t confirm, but given all the facts it is clear it is a 2nd AC setup? No question about it. I got it all to work but only when generator is on.

My issue now is: do I install a 2nd transfer relay and auxiliary breaker for this unit, or do I locate the interconnect to the generator, and set this up to operate on a 15 amp service outlet while hooked up to shore power…. The unit uses less than 15 amps under desert load, so with soft start, 15amp service is safe.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
My issue now is: do I install a 2nd transfer relay and auxiliary breaker for this unit, or do I locate the interconnect to the generator, and set this up to operate on a 15 amp service outlet while hooked up to shore power…. The unit uses less than 15 amps under desert load, so with soft start, 15amp service is safe.
It all depends on how you plan to use the coach. If you are always near a pedestal, then just a aux CB and extension cord to the pedestal will do. If you plan on tiring it to the generator, you can tie it to ATS with a aux CB. Of course, the best way is to wire in a new or used 50 amp power center. You don't have to use the entire power center just one 30 amp side If want you, could gang both sides together and have room for 10 20 amp circuits.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #19

THOR #9178
Quote:
Hello everyone.

I have only been around one Thor Windsport and it had a 5.5 generator and two ac's

How long is your coach, seems like the Windsport was around 35 feet
Old 04-28-2022, 05:41 AM   #20

THOR #26615
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
I have only been around one Thor Windsport and it had a 5.5 generator and two ac's

How long is your coach, seems like the Windsport was around 35 feet
It’s a 31G, it is about 32ft. I found the power line and the 2nd unit it installed. Just need to decide if I want to run both on the 30amp bus, or just run a 2nd 20amp line for the 2nd unit. As my current 20amp line runs to the generator, it would be easy to rerun it to a 2nd inlet instead. But, if the generator can handle both, I may choose instead to run the 2nd under the bed, with the rest of the power lines, and install a second transfer relay… also a simple task.