Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Outback 323 BH
State: Alabama
Posts: 11
THOR #8747
2 air conditions

I currently own a 36 foot travel trailer and was told the 1 AC would be sufficient.WRONG. So my question is at what length should you start considering a second AC unit?
__________________

__________________
Brooks2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mike in AZ's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
Posts: 506
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks2017 View Post
I currently own a 36 foot travel trailer and was told the 1 AC would be sufficient.WRONG. So my question is at what length should you start considering a second AC unit?
We only recently bought our RV, first ever so nothing to compare it to. But I know the 2nd AC unit is definitely necessary in our 38 footer, and don't think that would change even if it were, say, 32'.
__________________

__________________
__________
Mike
USAF Veteran, Retired Security Professional
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,628
THOR #5196
My personal opinion is all units over 18-20 ft should have a second AC. I have a 31 ft coach and there is no way one AC could keep up in Texas heat. Don't think you can ever have to much AC, you never know where you might end up going, and if it's hot you'll wish you had it.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,232
THOR #5821
Most RV's that exceed 33 feet or so come with two AC's, and the trend now for anything approaching 40 feet, is three AC's. Unfortunately because of power restrictions, RV's with 3 AC's have lower capacity units, so other than better air distribution, cooling effect is only a marginal improvement. Problem with any RV is the lack of insulation in the walls, which are very thin to start with. Parked in direct sunlight, the heat load is intense.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Florida
Posts: 46
THOR #5240
The size of the RV is only part of the equation. Heat load, humidity, outdoor temperature, color of RV, number and locations of windows receiving direct sunlight and even number and size of slides all have an effect. Add in a washer/dryer and you have even more heat load.
__________________
fotofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Outback 323 BH
State: Alabama
Posts: 11
THOR #8747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Most RV's that exceed 33 feet or so come with two AC's, and the trend now for anything approaching 40 feet, is three AC's. Unfortunately because of power restrictions, RV's with 3 AC's have lower capacity units, so other than better air distribution, cooling effect is only a marginal improvement. Problem with any RV is the lack of insulation in the walls, which are very thin to start with. Parked in direct sunlight, the heat load is intense.


Yes. We spent 2 weekends at the beach in Florida last month and it was miserable
__________________
Brooks2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 808
THOR #5246
We have only owned three RVs, but all have had 2 air conditioners. The two fivers cooled pretty good, one was 38' long and one was slightly larger at 39'. Our present Thor Challenger has two that can barely keep up. I know when the sun is directly on one side you can really feel the heat through the side walls. Three smaller units may work better but with a lack of wall insulation I'm not sure how well.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,795
THOR #4735
when you're hot
__________________
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,878
THOR #908
Our "31" class C is on the edge
really it needs something more
ok most of the time, but....

If there was an option on the market for a roof mounted 5,000 BTU or so unit reasonably priced one would likely already be installed in place of our bedroom roof vent

It's not quite worth it to me to install the larger things that are available on the market since it opens up issues with powering it in a 30A RV
__________________
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
Posts: 303
THOR #4443
Had an Axis 25.2 and had 1 AC. Cooling was fine. Got Windsport 31s and at almost 32 feet 2 AC's were the way to go. I would say anything over 25 feet get 2 AC's.
__________________
penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks2017 View Post
I currently own a 36 foot travel trailer and was told the 1 AC would be sufficient.WRONG. So my question is at what length should you start considering a second AC unit?
Mine is 31' and has two a/c's. They had ones on the lot with one and I had them order one with two. I live in Florida and wouldn't even consider one a/c. So far best move I have made.
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,933
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks2017 View Post
I currently own a 36 foot travel trailer and was told the 1 AC would be sufficient.WRONG. So my question is at what length should you start considering a second AC unit?

fotofx is right -- size is just one variable.

Assuming you're in Alabama and want to camp in summer, there is little doubt in my mind that a 36-foot trailer should have 2 air conditioners (of roof-top type limited to no more than 15,000 BTU/hr capacity per unit).

Some central air conditioners are much larger but since you didn't mention that, I'll assume you have a 15k roof-top A/C.

In my opinion any RV much larger than 25 feet could use more than a 15K A/C in the south during summer. Some 27~30 foot RVs get by with one air conditioner, but they have to be much more diligent at reducing heat load.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofx View Post
The size of the RV is only part of the equation. Heat load, humidity, outdoor temperature, color of RV, number and locations of windows receiving direct sunlight and even number and size of slides all have an effect. Add in a washer/dryer and you have even more heat load.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 808
THOR #5246
While in the Black Hills this summer we got to know two other couples that were traveling together in similar Tiffins. They were 43' DP in the 2010 to 2012 range with 3 air conditioners. On a day when the temps were almost 100 degrees our Challenger struggled to stay in the high 80's. The inside of their coaches stayed in the high 70's. We were all on the same 50amp service of course and they had 5 more feet of coach to cool.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,628
THOR #5196
I've posted this several times but here it is again. Add this rotating vent to your inside cover and you will get more cool air output and a cooler coach, if you have dual ACs put one one each.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	6460
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
BradnKaren's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
Posts: 284
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
While in the Black Hills this summer we got to know two other couples that were traveling together in similar Tiffins. They were 43' DP in the 2010 to 2012 range with 3 air conditioners. On a day when the temps were almost 100 degrees our Challenger struggled to stay in the high 80's. The inside of their coaches stayed in the high 70's. We were all on the same 50amp service of course and they had 5 more feet of coach to cool.
We are experiencing the same situation in our Challenger in Florida. In the heat of the day the best/lowest we can go inside is 84 degrees. This is WAY too hot for me. I don't need 70 degrees, but something less than 80 would be nice!

Both units work fine, and the rear of our coach cools down well enough. The rear unit will cool the coach by itself at night. It's up front where the problem is. Opening the vents on the ceiling cover helps. Pushing it through the ceiling duct work is useless. Almost no air passes out of those vents, even with some strategically closed.

Have not yet done the additional vent as SuperD suggested. Husband is looking in to swapping the front a/c unit for a 15,000 BTU. Also adding snap on window covers for the windshield and side windows up front. Not sure how else to try and overcome the crappy insulation. That's all on the back burner for now as we work on other modifications and getting some warranty work completed.

We had one coach, a 32ft Bounder with just one unit. It wasn't super cold, but it got cooler than our new Challenger. Last coach was a 37ft with two 13,500BTU units and that RV would get seriously cold, even in the FL heat.
__________________
BradnKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 VEGAS 25.2
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 106
THOR #3467
I think some of the Thor products including mine (VEGAS) does not have adequate insulation in the side walls and roofs some of the higher quality RVs have thicker walls and roofs which gives you better insulation.
__________________
hudson0231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 6
THOR #8682
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
We are experiencing the same situation in our Challenger in Florida. In the heat of the day the best/lowest we can go inside is 84 degrees. This is WAY too hot for me. I don't need 70 degrees, but something less than 80 would be nice!



Both units work fine, and the rear of our coach cools down well enough. The rear unit will cool the coach by itself at night. It's up front where the problem is. Opening the vents on the ceiling cover helps. Pushing it through the ceiling duct work is useless. Almost no air passes out of those vents, even with some strategically closed.



Have not yet done the additional vent as SuperD suggested. Husband is looking in to swapping the front a/c unit for a 15,000 BTU. Also adding snap on window covers for the windshield and side windows up front. Not sure how else to try and overcome the crappy insulation. That's all on the back burner for now as we work on other modifications and getting some warranty work completed.



We had one coach, a 32ft Bounder with just one unit. It wasn't super cold, but it got cooler than our new Challenger. Last coach was a 37ft with two 13,500BTU units and that RV would get seriously cold, even in the FL heat.


We have a 32 ft four winds and we are experiencing the same problem. The unit doesn't get below 80 until 3:00 in the morning.
__________________
Lindalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
Posts: 232
THOR #6040
I find the front of the coach to be the least insulated. So adding length is not directly proportional since all coaches start with the poorly insulted front end. In a pinch, one AC will keep it livable at least IF I start the day with a cool coach. One AC will not effectively COOL DOWN a hot coach.

Hang a blanket from the overhead bunk, does wonders to isolate the heat loss from the front end.

I do a lot of 30A camping, so I have to do some planning and use 2 ACs for short periods as needed.
__________________
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #19
Member
 
BrianA.C.E's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 60
THOR #4139
I have a ACE 30.2 31ft with one 15000 A/C. I live in it here in Florida for weeks at a time while at work and its not bad as long as i keep the 20" box fan on high blowing in my direction. adding foil insulation to all the windows made a huge difference, and i recently added a curtain rod behind drivers area with insulated black out curtains which helped even more.
__________________
Brian and Lora
1 Giant, 1 Mini Schnauzer
2014 Thor A.C.E 30.2
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,628
THOR #5196
Fellow RVers, I know how you can get busy doing other things but doing the vent mod I suggested does make a big difference in airflow and cooling. The mod is easy and doesn't take very long to do.
__________________

__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×