Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
ACE 30.2 did GREAT!

Just completed a nearly 1000 mile round trip to Destin, Florida and back, and I gotta tell ya, my ACE 30.2 performed excellently! I definitely was thankful for the suspension upgrades (CHF, Sumo Springs, Roadmaster rear sway bar, and Safe T Plus) as the winds on the way down were a steady 20-30mph. I was towing my 4-door Jeep Wrangler, and there were definitely some white-knuckle moments combining that wind with passing semis and construction (primarily uneven lanes in the pavement). I honestly don't know if I could've held her in my lane at times without those upgrades.
We stayed in a very nice rv resort with some extremely NICE rigs (the one across from us listed for $2.5 Million. That's right...$2,500,000. Unbelievable). It was a Newell, I believe. I had never even heard of Newell, much less seen one. I suppose $2.5 mil is a little outta my price range!!
Anyhoo, we hooked up and stayed all week with nary a problem. The only issue we found was the USB charging port in the bedroom doesn't charge. Seems that there's no power to it. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know below.
Driving back home, without the wind, was as pleasant of an experience as I could've asked for. We had a great time, and we love our new ACE!

Old 10-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The wires are backwards to the charging port. Common Thor problem
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #3

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
The wires are backwards to the charging port. Common Thor problem
Thanks Tfryman! Can you give me a recommendation on how to fix them myself? It's still under warranty but my dealer is nearly five hours away. Would like to fix it myself if possible. Any insight you could give would be great! Thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Thanks Tfryman! Can you give me a recommendation on how to fix them myself? It's still under warranty but my dealer is nearly five hours away. Would like to fix it myself if possible. Any insight you could give would be great! Thanks!
I'm guessing: Just unscrew it from the wall, pull it out, swap the wires, put it back, and screw it back in.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Glad you had a great trip to our neck of the woods. It has been a little breezy.
About that Newell. The owner wasn't forced to drive it himself was he? Oh the humanity!
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #6

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I'm guessing: Just unscrew it from the wall, pull it out, swap the wires, put it back, and screw it back in.
I'm wanting to say that there are no visible screws on the faceplate. I'm not where I can look at it at the moment.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
I'm wanting to say that there are no visible screws on the faceplate. I'm not where I can look at it at the moment.
I'd bet there the screws are hiding behind a removable panel--granted more speculation. Our Axis is old enough that there are no extra USB charge ports (I've installed about 6 or more now in it).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #8

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Glad you had a great trip to our neck of the woods. It has been a little breezy.
About that Newell. The owner wasn't forced to drive it himself was he? Oh the humanity!
I don't know Wonderdog! Never saw the dude the entire week we were there! The lady that was in the office when we checked in told me how much the thing listed for. But needless to say, I doubt the guy has to do too much for himself!
And we decided that Destin is gonna be a yearly trip for us. LOVED the beaches down there. Gonna do Camp Gulf next year. Seems to be a little less highfalutin and more our speed...and income range! Lol
Old 10-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Also own a 30.2 and I have to agree that I feel lucky to have chosen it. We have driven it through a big portion of the country with very few problems.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #10

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I'd bet there the screws are hiding behind a removable panel--granted more speculation. Our Axis is old enough that there are no extra USB charge ports (I've installed about 6 or more now in it).
I've kinda figured the same JamieGeek. Just didn't want to risk breaking the plastic faceplate if someone else had already had experience with this issue. Trust me, if it can be broken, I can break it three times and bend it the fourth.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
I don't know Wonderdog! Never saw the dude the entire week we were there! The lady that was in the office when we checked in told me how much the thing listed for. But needless to say, I doubt the guy has to do too much for himself!
And we decided that Destin is gonna be a yearly trip for us. LOVED the beaches down there. Gonna do Camp Gulf next year. Seems to be a little less highfalutin and more our speed...and income range! Lol
You might want to check out Fort Pickens down the road a piece at Pensacola Beach also. Ft Pickens is at the end of the Island - Gulf Islands National Seashore.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #12

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
You might want to check out Fort Pickens down the road a piece at Pensacola Beach also. Ft Pickens is at the end of the Island - Gulf Islands National Seashore.
Heck yeah! Thanks for the info. Always looking for new places to explore!
Old 10-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Rest easy knowing his Newell depreciated more in the first week than your coach actually cost!!
Old 10-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #14

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Had to replace half of mine

Quote:
I've kinda figured the same JamieGeek. Just didn't want to risk breaking the plastic faceplate if someone else had already had experience with this issue. Trust me, if it can be broken, I can break it three times and bend it the fourth.
The faceplate is on VERY tight, just pry off. Underneath will have screws like a regular outlet. On ours, Each of the 2 USB charging ports is wired separately. Thor used prong connectors on older models, and has switched to direct wired ones on newer models. Check the wires when you open it up for power--could be reversed wires, loose wires, or (SURPRISE) the wires were never connected. Don't ask how I know.

You can never have too many USB charging ports, so like JamieGeek I have added more to my coach.
Good luck.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:43 AM   #15

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
The faceplate is on VERY tight, just pry off. Underneath will have screws like a regular outlet. On ours, Each of the 2 USB charging ports is wired separately. Thor used prong connectors on older models, and has switched to direct wired ones on newer models. Check the wires when you open it up for power--could be reversed wires, loose wires, or (SURPRISE) the wires were never connected. Don't ask how I know.

You can never have too many USB charging ports, so like JamieGeek I have added more to my coach.
Good luck.
Awesome info! Thanks so much! I'll let you know what I find out when I can get to it.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #16

State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Quote:
Just completed a nearly 1000 mile round trip to Destin, Florida and back, and I gotta tell ya, my ACE 30.2 performed excellently! I definitely was thankful for the suspension upgrades (CHF, Sumo Springs, Roadmaster rear sway bar, and Safe T Plus) as the winds on the way down were a steady 20-30mph. I was towing my 4-door Jeep Wrangler, and there were definitely some white-knuckle moments combining that wind with passing semis and construction (primarily uneven lanes in the pavement). I honestly don't know if I could've held her in my lane at times without those upgrades.

We stayed in a very nice rv resort with some extremely NICE rigs (the one across from us listed for $2.5 Million. That's right...$2,500,000. Unbelievable). It was a Newell, I believe. I had never even heard of Newell, much less seen one. I suppose $2.5 mil is a little outta my price range!!

Anyhoo, we hooked up and stayed all week with nary a problem. The only issue we found was the USB charging port in the bedroom doesn't charge. Seems that there's no power to it. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know below.

Driving back home, without the wind, was as pleasant of an experience as I could've asked for. We had a great time, and we love our new ACE!

I have the same usb problem with my ace 30.2.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
I have the same usb problem with my ace 30.2.
Probably has the same fix.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote