Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2016, 01:29 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
2016 Axis Clean Dump Installation

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/mem...-albums49.html

2016 Axis Clean Dump installation (Pictures in above album)

This is the second Clean Dump I have installed in a 24.1 Vegas/Axis and this one went much more smoothly than the first. I don't know if the cabinet that hold the waste piping is just a little wider or if the pipes are better placed, but the Clean Dump fit in the Axis without any modification. You have to like a company that sends you virtually everything you need to install their products in one box. The only things I added were a box to hold the On/off switch so it could not be accidently turned on and two backing plates out of starboard to mount the pump.

The pump needs to be mounted on its side bolted on the wall so that the outflow points up and not towards the wall. The instructions say that you can mount the pump upside down, if you want to, so it does not hurt it at all. I used backing plates to give added strength and stability and bolted the pump through the the wall. The large hose from the discharge pipe to the pump turns easily in the space and the hose can be easily unhooked from the discharge pipe if the system fails. In eight years of using these systems, I have never had a failure or even a clog. Last year I dumped the waste tanks using this system 40-50 times in 130 days without one issue.

The hardest part of the installation was crawling under the RV and running the wire from the pump to the battery ensuring that it does not come close to the manifold or any moving parts. A 20 amp fuse holder and fuse is provided to protect the system along with all electrical connections, the only thing not provided are the four bolts or screws to mount the pump to the floor or wall.

The 15' long discharge hose fits easily in the cabinet. Since the pump will pump the waste "uphill", if you have any access to your sewer system at home you can dump into your sewer or septic system. You can also add another piece of hose to the end to extend it, if you need to.

The system is very easy to deploy, use and store. You just take as much hose out of the cabinet that you need to reach the sewer, turn the red handle to line up with the hose, pull up on the black lever, turn on the switch and pump out your black tank. The discharge hose is clear, so you can see when the flow changes and you can hear the pump change tone to know when to turn it off. The pump is self priming and can be run dry, for a short period, without hurting it. After the black tank is empty, you can either shut the tank and open the grey tank or some people leave the black tank open and let the grey water flow up into the black tank before turning the pump back on. When the grey tank is empty, you turn off the pump, turn the red handle at the end of the discharge hose to closed, curl up the hose and put it back into the cabinet. The directions say not to run the pump dry when emptying out the grey tank. Liquid should be left in the pump when it is stored.

Since the system is completely closed, there us no smell or spillage as long as you are careful to put the discharge hose in the sewer and wait for the water to drain before removing it. I do not even use gloves when using the system. I am in and out if the dump station before many people even get their hose out and hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	473
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1387  

Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Good job! I have a flowjet portable that I purchased the clean dump kit for. Plan to install it when I get the MH back from warranty work. Again great job and thanks for the pics.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6421
Clean dump experience

How is the clean dump modification working?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #4

THOR #1765
I have installed Clean Dump systems in both my Vegas and new Axis and they both have worked perfectly. The first one I had for 25,000 miles including four months to Alaska and back and used it every second or third day. The new one in my Vegas I have had for just a year and 10,000 miles and it works just as well. Went out west for two months this summer and used it often. My wife loves it because I will dump as often as she wants because it is so easy. Often, I will pull up to a two sided dump station where someone has already pulled out their hose and is dumping and I will finish and be gone before they get their hose away. No mess, no smell, no dirty hose to clean. I don't even wear gloves any more. I would never own another RV without a Clean Dump or similar system.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I am curious about the Clean Dump System. Have you ever used it to dump into a portable waste tank that may not hold all the waste. We camp with a lot of other family members during our week long family reunion. They have small children that use our facilities. I often dump daily with out moving the motorhome but only empty the holding tanks upon leaving the campground.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #6

THOR #1765
I have never done that, but it certainly is possible with the Clean Dump system. When you shut off the on/off switch, the system stops pumping and if you close the valve at the end of the pipe going into the portable waste tank, no more waste will come out. If I were doing that, I would partially fill the portable tank from the black tank and shut off the valve to the black tank. Then open up the grey tank and pump waste out of that to clear the hose of black waste. When the portable tank is close to full, turn off the Clean Dump switch and close the grey tank valve. Then run the system for just a short time to clear the hose. It would work fine. I Dump "uphill" into my house waste line. The system will supposedly pump six feet up and 100 feet out.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #7

State: Colorado
THOR #8147
Flojet pump

I just ordered a flojet portable pump for my 2017 Axis 25.2. Not arrived yet. I see in these posts something called a "Clean Dump Kit". Does that work with a flowjet pump. Where does one get this kit?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #8

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ131 View Post
I just ordered a flojet portable pump for my 2017 Axis 25.2. Not arrived yet. I see in these posts something called a "Clean Dump Kit". Does that work with a flowjet pump. Where does one get this kit?
Everyone sells them. PPL is where I bought mine. I have installed two. See post #1 in this thread for a detailed discussion of my second installation. The kit comes with the pump and everything you need to install the system except for the wire to the battery, an on/off switch and fuse holder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5118.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	5857